Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:11

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Do you drink?

I'm interested in finding out how many people here drink alcohol while on a LC WOE. I've lost 5 lb. in two weeks, and have continued to have a martini in the evenings. While I know that this may slow me down, I'm comfortable with that.

So, do you drink alcohol? If so, what do you drink? Are you still losing weight despite having the occasional adult beverage? Or did you quit altogether to take the weight off?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/215/185
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool Hi Kmarie

I'm also interested to see what peoples experiences are as well. I have been on Atkins for exactly one month now and to my surprise have lost 20 pounds. I used to drink about once a week and mostly beer or some mixed drinks. I decided to atleast slow down as to I have read about how your body will burn alcohol before fat so decided to make drinking a once and awhile thing. I do have a very social life though and it is hard to not be part of the gang so to speak and not drink so I have decided to not quit but just make it more for a special occasion as apposed to just a weekly event, and try to have less when I do decide to have some. I did try a couple of those low-carb Michelob Ultra beers last weekend and they were not too bad. I might have a couple tonight cause I'm going out with some friends. I do enjoy having drinks though so will have to just understand that It might not stop weight loss but might slow it down. That is my opinion anyway. Happy Friday
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:32
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

It is one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary). It stalls a lot of people but I am glad you aren't having an issue with it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

I dont drink due to medicine I take but thats good it hasnt stalled your progress.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Stats: 188/186/150
BF:Just "FAT"
Progress: 5%

Yes, I do. I love my beer! However, I've cut down since the LC WOL (not that I've lost ANYTHING in 3 weeks! )

I have been doing (trying anyway) Atkins. Unsuccessful. I'm probably going to switch to Protein Power or Carb Addict since they seem to be a bit more friendly with that whole alcohol issue. (Well, maybe it's not both that allow it, but one of them does... I can't remember which one... I've been researching them both so much today my head hurts! )

I like to mostly have some beers during the weekends, if we are lucky enough to go out with friends (that whole baby sitter issue! ) and once in a while, during the week, I like to have A beer... pretty rare, though not unheard of .

I haven't lost anything yet, so it's not "stalling" me per se, since I've made no progress to begin with. I would think cutting from MAJOR carbs to only about 20-30 per day would have SOME effect, but I guess not. BUT, that's a whole nother subject! LOL!

So, that's about it. See ya!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 22:02

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

WEll I had nothing the first 3 weeks on Atkins, then, I now have a bit of red wine, maybe once a week or so, It has not effected me.P.P. says it's o.k.

However I really think that during induction, if you want to see results, then stick to it, no cheats, no beers low carb or otherwise.

Just in the short time I've been on this forum, I can see a pattern of some people saying they've done nothing on the diet so far, then read a little further and sure enough they are'nt following the diet, and have confessed to have some cheats, so of course you will be disapointed in the results.

I think once someone has done the induction to the letter, then it's fine to try a drink now and then, then judge it for yourself, it seems like it really effects people very differently.

As for the Martini, that might be one of the best choices

Cheers Kathy54
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 09:23
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I've given it up for now, I tried doing induction while having a couple of glasses of dry red wine, did it for 2 weeks and lost nothing, doing it again now without the wine and on day 13 am down 4 lbs. I plan on continuing without the wine until I reach my goal. Though I'm sure I'll have the occasional glass, its pretty hard to totally abstain when because we make our own we have a basement full of wine and beer and my husband continues to have a few glasses with dinner. But I think that for me it interferes with weight loss.

In the first Atkins book he states that the effect of a glass of wine is equal to 20 carbs. That thought alone empowers me to say no to even 1 glass
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 11:33

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile Ahh, beer

I drink beer all the time. It hasn't stalled me at all, it just seems to pass right through me.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 12:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I drink a few times a week, but I try to keep it to carb-free liquor and mixer or just one or two beers, if I've been good.

I'm a homebrewer, and I certainly love my creations! I try to give alcohol the "CAD" treatment - I limit it to after a meal and time-limited. I don't drink all night or drink on an empty stomach.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:39
WhatCanIDoThisTime?!

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 240/230/135 Female 5'3"
BF:too dang much!!!!
Progress: 10%
Talking Love me Captain

As far as drinking....I happen to love me Captain Morgan. Now, as I was a diet soda drinker before, I have no problem mixing me capn with some Diet Pepsi.....but only occasionally. Maybe once a weekend, or a couple on Wednesday night Bingo.

I e-mailed Captain Morgan and told them about my WOE and asked for carb count.....it is .4 grams per one ounce. I stay away from the Michelob Ultra (when my body says it wants the hops, I will drink one, but not regularly) as it is still 2.6 g per bottle. On Wednesday night Bingo, I could easily drink 6 if I was on the Ultra, so I stick to me Captain.

I have been in a stall for about 4 weeks now, but don't attribute this to alcohol consumption. I just think I lost so much so quick, my body is adjusting and catching up....if it carries on longer.....g'bye Capn'!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 21:11
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 230/203/145
BF:
Progress: 32%

I tried the new Michelob Ultra and It was sooo good. I live in a Microbrew heaven and have many local favorite ales. Said goodbye to them 1/7/03. Michelob Ultra has 2.6 grams per 12oz bottle. But, the down side is it stops my weight loss. I was not near the point in my WOE that I could add it in but thought it was worth the experiment. Jules
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 09:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 243/211.8/165 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have a glass of red wine or two every evening with dinner and it hasn't stalled me, yet. I've seen a steady weight loss since induction. I was careful, though, not to drink during induction and I think it helped. I enjoy relaxing after work with my glass of wine and don't think I'm ready to make that change yet. I gave up coffee and need to keep one of my vices, right? I might've seen a faster rate of weight loss without the wine but you have to decide what's important to you.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I still have a glass or two of either white or red every other night basically. It has not proven to be a problem to me. Then again, I guess I should go a week or two without the nightly wine, then I could really see if it is slowing me down! It just might be and I don't realize it! I will let you know how cutting the wine effects my weight loss.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 12:46

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Nope

Nope. I went from drinking lots of beer each week to drinking a bottle or two once in a blue moon. Even if I thought it wouldn't upset the LC cart, alcohol makes me feel crappy. I don't even get a nice buzz any more.

Donald
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/178/140
BF:
Progress: 5%

both husband (down 15 already) and I drink both alcohol and coffee.

2 cups or more coffee each am and 2 drinks each evening. mostly vodka/scotch and husband drinks the lite beer.

I think it all boils down to 'calories in and calories out'...I just do my "fitday journal" and if my calories are going above 1800 (my required to lose amount) I stop eating/drinking.

still get my 3 cups of low carb veggies (20-30 grams) and protein (66 +).

my weight is dropping finally after two months because I was eating 2200 cals per day... and alot of nuts/cheese...

figured out that I just needed to cut the calories.