Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 13:03

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

There are 3 macronutrients

Carbs
Fat
Protein

If you decrease one percentage, another one has to go up, or both of the others, as it will always equal 100 % of your calories

You can do 33% of each

33.3% calories from carbs
33.3% calories from fat
33.3% calories from protein

If you decrease carbs, the percentages have to go elsewhere:
5% calories from carbs
60% calories from fat
35% calories from protein

You need a certain amount of protein to maintain your muscles and repair needs for your body. Less than that will be muscle wasting, and more than that the body converts excess protein to glucose.

So protein is your constant, it must stay about the same.
So if you decrease your carbs then fat HAS to go up.

You can eat more, or less, but the PERCENTAGES always equal 100%
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 14:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LC is a cure for fatty liver disease. It's caused by excess carbs (or alcohol). In particular fructose seems to be responsible for a lot of NAFLD.

Don't worry about the protein. It won't harm your liver.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 257/192/160 Male 70 Inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I know that it is contrary to a lot of opinions here. But, I am OK with that.

I am going to maintain that anyone who is facing serious medical conditions should be treated by a trained medical doctor. If you do not agree with your doctor's philosophies, then find another.

I suspect that doctors are getting very frustrated with people challenging their advice with things like: "Well, I know YOU said that, but FluffyBunny827 told me..."

For what it's worth, I DO agree that low carb is very beneficial to many liver disorders. But, without complete lab results, medical history, physical exams, and a whole bunch of training, I am not qualified to make recomendations on the treatment of diseases.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 15:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
Foie gras - force feeding ducks is babarious and cruel. I hope that all countries will start banning this 'delicacy'. There are numerous petitions on-line which, if you feel strongly about this issue, you can sign :

I disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABeWlY0KFv8
http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-02...e-gras-torture/
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 19:11

Plan: Gary Taubes
Stats: 428/363/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskydiver
I am going to maintain that anyone who is facing serious medical conditions should be treated by a trained medical doctor. If you do not agree with your doctor's philosophies, then find another.

I suspect that doctors are getting very frustrated with people challenging their advice with things like: "Well, I know YOU said that, but FluffyBunny827 told me..."

I am sure they are frustrated with that. On the other hand, I think the vast majority of doctors are towing a very dangerous, bad line on carbohydrates and especially on fat. Yeah, I'm sure that sucks as a medical professional who has spent years in school getting to where they are. But when they flunk Adiposity 101, they lose a lot of respect in my book. And how are you supposed to know that your doctor is wrong unless you are an educated consumer of healthcare and a strong advocate for yourself?

A lot of people on this forum and elsewhere say things that I think are not substantiated by science. But enough here do have it right. I don't think that means you should cite forum posters in your medical decisions but I think you should do your homework in serious, well referenced books and articles (which plenty posters here could point you towards).
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/199/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

You know you're entirely too much into Facebook when you read posts here and want a "Like" button
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 20:34

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopia
You know you're entirely too much into Facebook when you read posts here and want a "Like" button

Where the H is the "LIKE" button???
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 00:42

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

[QUOTE=Nancy LC]I disagree.

QUOTE]

+1

First, geese, ducks and other water fowl gorge in the fall, in order to store fat to last them through the winter. They do this to themselves, and the liver stores the fat without taking permanent damage. If the birds are not killed (i.e. wild geese) they lose the fat and the liver goes back to normal size. Farmers have gotten birds to fatten their own liver to foie gras proportions just by giving them feed that they really really (really!) like, and they gorge like nobody's business.

Second, they don't have a gag reflex. It's all too easy for us humans to anthropomorphise (="humanify") animals, and assume they feel *exactly* the same as us in a given situation. The tube going down, the volume of high-calorie food, none of it makes the bird gag, or feel like throwing up. it's also over quickly. Apparently the birds may run *toward* the gaveur, eager for their "fill". Force-feeding a human is literally torture.

There are horrible examples of gavage, where the birds are kept in cages too small to move at all, because that makes the liver grow even faster, but it can in fact be done humanely.

I think it's important to see both sides of almost any issue.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 02:01

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

sweet poison= why sugar makes us fat by David Gillespie details the biochemical process of how sugar makes the liver fatty.

http://sweetpoison.com.au/

I know that I barrel out around the mid section if I go on a carb frenzy- all the glucose sits on the liver and creates fatty deposits. 2 days of zero carb and I'm back to normal.

The thing that is hard for us, and thank goodness we have this forum, is you went to the majority of doctors they would give you advice that has been wrong for quite some time.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 09:46

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Quote:

LIKE!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 09:47

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

We need an emoticon for "LIKE".
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 06:15

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:

likes this
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 17:42

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
[QUOTE=Nancy LC]I disagree.

QUOTE]

+1

First, geese, ducks and other water fowl gorge in the fall, in order to store fat to last them through the winter. They do this to themselves, and the liver stores the fat without taking permanent damage. If the birds are not killed (i.e. wild geese) they lose the fat and the liver goes back to normal size. Farmers have gotten birds to fatten their own liver to foie gras proportions just by giving them feed that they really really (really!) like, and they gorge like nobody's business.

Second, they don't have a gag reflex. It's all too easy for us humans to anthropomorphise (="humanify") animals, and assume they feel *exactly* the same as us in a given situation. The tube going down, the volume of high-calorie food, none of it makes the bird gag, or feel like throwing up. it's also over quickly. Apparently the birds may run *toward* the gaveur, eager for their "fill". Force-feeding a human is literally torture.

There are horrible examples of gavage, where the birds are kept in cages too small to move at all, because that makes the liver grow even faster, but it can in fact be done humanely.

I think it's important to see both sides of almost any issue.

But the point is...they get their fatty liver from carbs not fat.