Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 23:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Atkins Endulge PB cups.. and the Sugar Alcohol math equation.

So I found these Atkins Endulge Peanut Butter Cups.... and they are GREAT! I tried them and, along with other Atkins products, I cant believe that they are low carb.. almost too good to be true.

I ate a package of the PB Cups tonight after my dinner.. and decided to read a bit more about these "Sugar Alcohols".

I read the link on the "Low Carb Tips" and the explaination is great... and they even have a mathematical equation. So I decided to do the math... and in the end, according to the equation, there are probably more then the 2g of net carbs claimed on the package. I came up with 7.75...

Here are the stats on the Atkins PB Cups:

Calories : 160

Total Fat : 13g
Sat. Fat : 6g

Protein : 3g

Those are the values you need to do the equation. The equation, pulled right from the "Low Carbs 'Sugar Alcohol' Tips" page is:

Quote:
Sugar alcohols do have carb calories, and the body will use these as fuel, or store as fat, whether or not insulin is involved. You need to look at the total CALORIES for one serving of the product. Subtract from this total the number of calories from any protein in the product (prot = 4 cal. per gm), then subtract the calories from any FAT in the product (fat = 9 cal. per gm). What's left is the calories from carbohydrate ... divide this remainder by 4 (carbs = 4 cal. per gm). If the number you get is bigger than the number of carbs declared on the label, the product has hidden carbs, and it's most likely the polyol. Calories do not just disappear into thin air!

Now.. I did this equation as using the total fat as 13g, am I supposed to add 13 + 6 for total fat? Or is it 13g of fat, which is comprised of 6g sat. fat? If I did this wrong.. someone correct me.

I find this a bit odd.. anyone care to add or eplain this? Should I stop eating these things? Could they have more carbs then we know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 07:40

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I, like you, love those Atkins candy bars. I had read on how they can stall people so I decided to quit eating them so much. I was having probably two a week. I havent had one in 2 weeks and I have noticed the weight coming off a little faster. I still have the Atkins shake in the morning though. I have lost 13lbs in 6 weeks, and that's not bad, and definetely good enough for me, as I dont want to lose it too fast. So Im not giving up my shake in the morning!! Besides, they have 20g Protein, and some days I just dont feel like so much meat.
I also love those Pure De-lite Mint chocolate bars and I did the hidden carb counter and it said it had actually 10 carbs!! So, for me, I have stayed away from those.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 07:51

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%

I love those candy bars........unfortunatly if I eat them I stall completely.........they are as addictive to me as sugar laden ones..........so for me the best bet is to make the peanut butter cups in the sweets section here on the forum if I HAVE to have something........they have only splenda, no malitol..........and are delicious.
I tried so many other ways to break the stall and all that worked was cutting out those bars~ ^^&###!!!! *muttering under her breath*
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: Zone/Atkins
Stats: 138/130/125
BF:?/20%/?
Progress: 62%
Default Oooohhh, those hidden carbs ----

I have trouble with the Atkins bars/candy, too. I can never figure out how they come up with those low-carb figures. I know it has something to do with the sugar alcohols. I find that if I eat those more than once every couple weeks, I gain weight. Same with the shakes.....I limit myself to one every couple days (and oh, how I love them!!). Did anybody try dumping the shake into the blender and adding lots of ice to it? When you chop the ice up with the shake it makes it REALLY thick and yummy! I get more than a quart of shake doing it that way and it's such a treat!
I feel like I'm really "getting away" with something!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 09:15

BF:

LOL Mom,
Are you talking about the ready to drink ones? That sounds like a good idea!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 09:56

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Has anyone tried the shake powder? I liked the shakes in the cans but the one from the powder didn't have as good a taste and seemed thick.

I followed the directions on the can when making it. I'm thinking I'm going to add more ice and blend it in the blender, rather than shaking it in a cup. Maybe add a little heavy cream.

Any advice?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 09:59

BF:

Magic,
I did all that to the powder shakes, but nothing I did made them taste any good IMO. I tried ice in blender with cream....more water.....I just cant stand the powder!!! I wish I could find a way, because its cheaper, but I cant seem to!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: Zone/Atkins
Stats: 138/130/125
BF:?/20%/?
Progress: 62%
Talking

I use the ready-to-drink shakes ------ just can't handle the powders no matter what I do to them! They're expensive, but I don't drink them that often......it's worth the $$$$
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 17:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/235/224 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 86%

I really think it depends on the person. I have the candy bar products with suger alcohol and is hasn't slowed by loss yet (16 pounds in 4 weeks & 8 inchs).

Use them sparingly and see if they stall you. It's all about moderation.

Good luck to you!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 21:38

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress:
Default Bars...

I was pissed when i noticed alot of low carb protein bars start with all this "sugar alchol" garbage. The only good ones I like now are the Nitro-Tech bars...3g net for most (it varies with flavor) and 35g protein. A little expensive, but these have never knocked me out of ketosis.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:11
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Avoid The Stuff!!!

Since one of the key elements we are trying to accomplish on this plan is to break the addition to sugars and starches, why indulge in all of those very unnatural snack foods? They taste sweet, they are sweet, and they just sustain the need for sweets. I think such things should only be brought into the diet plan at the later stages, as replacements for meals under necessary conditions; not as snacks.

Remember, the weight loss phase is just the rehearsal for the maintenance phase. If we do not learn how to cope with cravings and needs now, the weight will just sneak back up on us.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:18

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress:
Default ...

I've never used a protein bar as a way to take care of a craving for sweets. I lift weights, I play football, sometimes I dont feel like drinking a protein shake, so I eat a bar. I've been doing this since Feb. '96, and I've never had a problem with it.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 10:42

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hi y'all,

I've been working on making the powered shakes taste good. I've added more ice, a t of Splenda, a little vanilla, blended it until all the ice is broken up and then refrigerated it for an hour. It's beginning to taste a little bit better.

I'm off to buy some Atkins sugar free syrups today so I can experiment with them.

Magic
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 230/203/145
BF:
Progress: 32%

After reading about how to figure out what is really in the "protein bars" etc I decided not to try them. My co-worker eats them every day and he is losing. But, 2 weeks ago the girl scout cookies everyone ordered came in. I could not ignore the smell of chocolate mint. My L.C. buddy said he had choc mint Protein bars at his desk. I broke, and had half. I did not drop any weight for a couple of days. It works for him but the maltilol in that bar got me. I watch for all the "hidden" carbs in the list of ingredients and not rely on the "total carbs listed on the package. The bar states only 2 "digestable" carbs but, lists 14 gm of carb and 1 gm fiber. Go figure. Jules
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 06:01

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Teuthis~ Ideally I think you are right. Eating sweet tastes does prolong the urge for that taste. I believe it would be better if we could just eliminate them all together.......but......

1. We are all individuals and learn to deal with this woe in our own way and what we each eat is a choice. Some chose to completely go without and some to moderate. We each have to find our own way and what we can live with for the long haul.

2. For some people completely doing without leads to feelings of deprivation, even if only psychologically..........and that can lead to binging and completely blowing this woe.............sometimes the moderate stance has merit.

We have to each find our own way.