Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:23
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%
Default How Often Do you Weigh?

I started induction yesterday and I weighed. I was just wondering how often everyone weighs. Is it once a week? I am kind of scared to weigh too soon in case I have no loss and get discouraged.

Please share

red
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:26
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Scales

I only get on the scale once a month. That way I am seeing real significant weight loss. Once I get closer to goal weight I'll weigh once a week. Once I reach goal weight I'll weigh several times a week. But that's just me.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:27

Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%

This is a can of worms...half of the people say every day, the other say some other time. Just weigh when it makes you comfortable to do so. I WAS weighing every day, but now Im up to 2 days...I think when I build up some tolerence, Ill go for three.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Personally, I say weigh yourself often or not at all (or at least rarely). If you weigh yourself every day you see how your weight will fluctuate from day to day. You will especially notice fluctuations if you get on the scales at different times of the day. If you understand that your weight will fluctuate, you will not get discouraged if you get on the scales one day and you have not lost or you have even gained. What is important is that over time, on average, you see a downward trend. What is even more important is that you feel better and are losing inches so don't let some just because the scales give you some number that is higher than you'd like. Remember, it is just a number.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 21:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/193/? Male 6'
BF:15/10/...
Progress: 106%

sometimes daily, but i like to weigh weekly for keeping track of things
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 250/250/210 Male 76 inches
BF:

I started induction this week, I don't even own a scale. I have some size 34 waist jeans I will try on every couple weeks and when they fit good I'm off induction
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 22:35

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Default Of course, every day

Hi all,

Red1cutie, I've been following your posts with a great deal of interest, and 'cause they're fun to read. You're often asking the questions I want to know the answers to. Thanks.

I suspect you have prepared yourself to start this better than most, and so I'll bet'cha this really works for you. You want to know things.

As far as scales, I weigh every single day and mark it on a calendar. (I'm just in my third week.) Then, at the end of the week, I add up every day and divide by seven to get the average for the week. This is the figure I'm concerned with, and of course I want the trend to be down.

I see lots of daily flucutuations -- suspect most everyone does, so it's expected. But I want to know things, to closely track what's going on. And, in the very beginning, this tiny daily routine helped reinforce my commitment to this way of eating. I'm still in the dark, navagating with only the book and the good advice I find here, and it's kind'a nice to have one thing I do know -- what the scale said this morning.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 22:38

Stats: 231/198/170
BF:
Progress: 54%

I say at first you should check it every day. I had to find out my carb limit, because with 15 to 20 I was gaining every day. I had to cut it to about 10 before success.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:00

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 5'6" (67.2")
BF:36.2%/33.9%/29.0%
Progress: 32%
Smile Weighing

It really depends on the mood i'm in, presently i'm weighing daily as i'm tweeking my diet and other times i weigh weekly. I would recommend to weigh at the same time be it weekly or daily or even monthly. I don't recommend weighing oneself more than one a day. I presently weigh myself first thing in the morning after i've gone to the bathroom.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

once a week on saturday morning. i try on the skinny pants about once a month or so and see how close they are to fitting!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:30

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Scale

I think it's not emotionally healthy to step on the scale every day. But I step on the scale every day anyway, because I'm weak!

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. " - Oscar Wilde
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:22
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I weigh every day and always have...there are several good reasons to do this every day in the beginning, one being that you can SEE what types of behaviors and patterns seem to move the scale or stall it.

Whether it's eating too late, or you know you didn't get yesterday's water in, etc. It kind of makes you think about cleaning up those things and getting into more regular habits.

Also, the fluctuations advice above is SO true... there is NO consistency to LC'ing from day to day...it's over the long-term that you see a consistent downward trend... if you're up 1 today, you may be down 2 tomorrow...or in three days...whatever...

The main thing is that you STAY the COURSE!! No matter what the wretching scale says...because as long as you're doing the plan and getting in your exercise, your scale will move soon enough.

And when it's NOT moving...remember that your body is going through LOTS of other changes... not just poundage! So take it light, and don't put any emotion to those numbers... there's no defeat...

#13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:27

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm an addict.

The scale is Satan's spawn.

I wanna hop on one right now.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/180/150
BF:
Progress: 42%

I just got a scale/body fat monitor - I have never owned a scale before. Yesterday in learning how to use it I found that my weight varied 8 pounds over the course of the day!!!! My plan now is to weigh twice_ morning and night and chart it - just like my food and keto stix - because I really like looking back over the record. It helps me when I am stalled to keep going. I have been at this since October and this month is hard for some reason - I have been letting myself slip . Good luck to you!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 13:11

Stats: 213/194/140
BF:
Progress: 26%

DONT BE LIKE ME!!! I weight at least 5 times a day! My fiance is threatening to throw the scale out the door! I all honesty though, i wouldnt think once a day would hurt!