Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: Induction on 4/18/11
Stats: 169.5/168/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Question??

Morning - this may be a little silly, but I'm desperate to drop the weight. This is day 5 of Induction for me and 3 days of the gym, eating the right things, but the scale remains the same today. I know everyone is different, but on average, when do most people start to see a drop in weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 11:00
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Some people never see an induction loss. The majority of the weight lost during induction is water weight, so if you weren't carrying a lot to begin with, then you're not going to see a massive drop. Since you have a relatively small amount to lose, you probably won't see huge drops either.

As a rule of thumb, you can expect to lose around 10% of the weight you are trying to lose during your first 2 weeks - so around 3lbs for you. Again, that's just a very generalized statement, so it may or may not end up applying.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 11:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Krystalr - I guess looking at my numbers it seems that I don't have a lot to lose, but I feel that I do. I guess that's normal. I will keep working at it and be patient.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 11:08
Induction ≠ Atkins

I didn't mean it in a way to suggest anything negative, so please don't take it that way - totally not my intention. A lot of people here (myself included) have a LOT to lose...so you'll see a lot of people posting about losing 5+lbs per week. I just didn't want you to see that, and think that that is what you should be expecting to see. A lot of times people forget to look at how much people weigh, see big drops, and then are disappointed when it doesn't happen that way for them.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 11:09
Registered Member

BF:

We are having a huge family dinner for Easter and I'm sure mostly EVERYTHING (except the turkey, ham and collard greens) will be high in carbs! Would I sabatoge what I've been doing if I have just small amounts of the high carbed foods? I was going to put off Induction for one more week because Easter is coming up, but I decided not to cause I'm tired of the excuses and needed to get started.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 11:11
Induction ≠ Atkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIF
We are having a huge family dinner for Easter and I'm sure mostly EVERYTHING (except the turkey, ham and collard greens) will be high in carbs! Would I sabatoge what I've been doing if I have just small amounts of the high carbed foods? I was going to put off Induction for one more week because Easter is coming up, but I decided not to cause I'm tired of the excuses and needed to get started.

Exactly. You started, and it would absolutely set you back this early in the game.

Events and holidays are going to come up all the time. Birthdays will be there, weddings will be there, going out with friends will be there. If we use them as a reason to put things off, or go off plan, we aren't likely to get to our goals. For some, it just takes one off plan thing to set the downward spiral going.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 11:19
Registered Member

BF:

Krystalr - no need for apologies. I wasn't offended by anything you've said. You have actually helped - thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 14:49
Registered Member

BF:

I bought a new analog scale yesterday and weighed myself this morning. It read 169, or at least that's what it looked like. Took the scale back, this afternoon and got a digital one, so I can quit with the guessing. (NEED TO ACTUALLY SEE THE NUMBER!) The digitil reads 172.5!!! Should I be alarmed?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 14:56
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIF
I bought a new analog scale yesterday and weighed myself this morning. It read 169, or at least that's what it looked like. Took the scale back, this afternoon and got a digital one, so I can quit with the guessing. (NEED TO ACTUALLY SEE THE NUMBER!) The digitil reads 172.5!!! Should I be alarmed?

No, please don't be alarmed at all...every scale will weigh you differently.

When I started out, my scale was at 270....a few months in I had to get a new scale and it weighed me +4 lbs more than my old one. I had to get over it and see that I'd still lost the same amount just that my start weight was a bit higher than I had thought.

On another note, make sure that you aren't eating any foods that are high in sodium. That'd be any processed meats like pepperoni or deli meats. Too much sodium will prevent your body from shedding all the water weight.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 14:58
Registered Member

Stats: 287/239/195 Male 76
BF:
Progress: 52%

There always seems to be a difference between scales. I always weigh myself on the same scale. Two things that have really made a difference for me is eliminate the caffeine and drink water like crazy.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 15:33

Stats: 155/150.8/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 42%

I am also losing very slowly. I also don't have alot to lose but to everyone it a different journey. Last count I've lost 2.2 lbs in 22 days. Slow and steady and you will win the race.
As for Easter Dinner Check out everything you can eat instead of what you can't. I'm looking forward to Deviled Eggs, Ham, Cheese and some colorful Veggies.
Also a good time for some exercise Run to find Easter Eggs. Bending an stooping to hide eggs will also be activity.
Have a great day and enjoy the Holiday. Not the reason to eat.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 19:38

Stats: 254/213/165 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Something I've found is to not always worry about the lbs on the scale- instead see if your clothes are looser. I've had weeks where I don't lose more than a 1lb, but my clothes definately feel better.

How did Easter dinner go? Were you able to stay away from the non-induction foods?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 21:41
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIF
Morning - this may be a little silly, but I'm desperate to drop the weight. This is day 5 of Induction for me and 3 days of the gym, eating the right things, but the scale remains the same today. I know everyone is different, but on average, when do most people start to see a drop in weight?

Don't know if I'm average, but I started losing weight during my second week of induction - nothing much during the first week.

So keep on keeping on
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 08:52
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning - Well I did eat some non-induction foods, just could'nt resist, but still managened to lose 1 pound. I was happy to at least see the scale go down, but probably would have lost more if I would have not cheated. Back on it today!