Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Suggestions for fast Breakfast/Lunch???

Hello,
I am new to this diet plan. I have read the Atkins book cover to cover, and feel it is a great plan.

However, I just dont have time to cook a good breakfast etc. - I am always on the run. The thoughts of eating fish etc. for breakfast makes me gag...lol- I am a total sugarholic!

Does anyone have a fast listing of a suggested breakfast and lunch that I could at least begin with?

I like hard boiled eggs..this would be simple enough for me.
Anything else? Often I eat my breakfast in the car, as I have a 45 minute drive to school.
I am a middle school teacher w/ 15 minutes for lunch. Any ideas for a fast lunch?

My biggest downfall is going to be the craving for sugar and fruits.

Thanks in advance for any help. For those of you who have not read the book, it is very interesting- although sometimes, a little too scientific. As an educator, I must applaud Atkins for not even discussing his diet plan until you have read about 75% of the technical stuff...the WHYs etc. Most diet books etc. try to selling thier philosphies on p 1. In this case, the reader is educated of so many essential biological features of our bodies before they actually begin the diet.

Thanks for any quick breakfast and lunch ideas.

Last edited by TeachU101 : Sun, Feb-16-03 at 10:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 10:25

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Convenient Food

I think the best possible thing for breakfast is bacon and eggs. If you have 10 extra minutes, it's so easy to prepare. I do the bacon in the microwave: take a paper towel, put it on a microwave safe plate, put 2 or 3 pieces of bacon on it, then cover with another paper towel. Depending on the thickness of the bacon, it takes from 2-3 minutes. And during that time I usually fry two eggs in butter. It's so good.

As for convenient lunches, I think the best thing to do is prepare something during the weekend to eat during the week, like eggplant parmesan (which gets better over time anyway), chicken/egg/tuna salad, grilled steak (sometimes I put it on top of a salad... yum!), etc. Or I cook some chicken pieces and leave them in the fridge. I pack a rubbermaid container with some chicken, cover it with marinara sauce, then cover that with mozzarella cheese. At lunch I nuke it for 2 minutes. YUM!

For snacks, I pack string cheese, nuts, salami, whatever.

Hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 12:35

Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

hi teachu101
i am a teacher assistant and it is also hard for me sometimes as well. here is more advice that may help you. i cook about a dozen of boiled eggs at a time. they will keep fresh for days. i eat a lot of canned greens. i put them in a bowl with lots of butter and microwave them. i like greens. some do not. i make beef balls. two pkgs. of cream cheese, small onion, dried beef, and parsley. mince all and mix into a ball. i just put mine in a bowl. it is good with pork rinds or celery. i eat a lot of hamburger steak. i always cook extra. it is good with fried onions and cheese the next day or the day after. a can of tuna is good with a spoon full of mayo. chicken will work too. i eat vienna sausages too but they are high in sodium. broccoli is good with butter and or cheese. i fix a salad in a bowl the night before and add chicken of steak with parmasan cheese and ranch or italian dressing. my advice is cook extra when you cook supper. eating the greens is very good for you if you like them. fresh would be better. i just do not have time to cook them. i usually eat some every day. from my journal to everyone elses it looks like we all eat about the same things. im sure you already eat some of these things but sometimes it is good to hear that others eat like you do. good luck on your wol. i hope this helps. if you think of something good to eat please let me know in my journal. i sometimes feel like i cant eat another thing low carb.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 01:43

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default Breakfast

Crustless quiche is a quick and easy breakfast or lunch if you plan ahead. I buy the frozen Pour-A-Quiche in my supermarket's frozen food case. Grease 4 ramekins (about 4" in diameter) and divide the thawed mix among them. The individual quiches take almost as long as one big quiche, so just follow the package directions and keep an eye on them. Then I store them in a plastic bag in the refrig. My husband, who is (sort of) trying low-carb, grabs one in the morning, warms it up in the microwave, and he is set. Although I don't like plain eggs, I can handle the quiche, so I sometimes have one myself.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 23:54

Stats: 127/127/115
BF:
Default TGIFriday's Chicken Wings

Hi All,
TGIFriday's makes frozen chicken wings. They have 0 carbs and they are really good. Are these okay to eat, or too unhealthy? You can nuke them real fast, or put them in the oven for about 10 minutes. I loved everyone's suggestions on this board. Keep 'em coming!

Cores
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 00:04

Stats: 127/127/115
BF:
Default Another Post

I am having a hard time finding salad dressing. I love ranch, but lately my dad has been making one with a dry Italian dressing packet and mixing it with oil and vinegar. Not sure about the carb count on it yet though. Hope it's low! Anyone know of any in the supermarket? The ones online are so expensive! Also, on a side note--- how do I create a journal? I can't seem to figure it out! Thanks!

Cores

Last edited by Cores : Tue, Feb-18-03 at 00:10.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 01:47

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 227/204/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Talking Snacks Munchies salad dressings, menues

Ok here it goes, These are some things I have been doing.

Breakfast

Eggs omelette with pepperoni and chedder cheese and mayo yum
sometimes I cook side of bacon with it, or corned beef 0 carbs (not hash)

Lunch
is lot of things always greens salad ( baby salad and spinach mix) i usually use FETA on it. sometime a quarter tomatoe, or a half cucumber choice,
Sald Dressings I use is
Paul newmans Italian(1carb)
Maries Blue Cheese <1 Carb)
other blue cheeses

I make most of my meals ahead of time and bowl them
I make a big thing of tuna fish and mayo and celery
I make a big batch of chile (no beans) with chedder cheese
I make indian chicken strips (cumin, currry and butter garlic) usually eat it with mayo
Hot DOgs fried with dijon mustard and topped with chedder cheese and dip in Mayo
I make a batch of french Meat stuffing with Bells seasoning(not stuffing) and garlic and onion powder etc.
I eat Vienna Sauages, SPAM(wohoo) and the turkey SPAM
snack rolls(turkey ham cheese roll ups like at a party)

Supper has been salad like above
been mainly (i use a misquite barbecue sauce(1 carb), worcester sauce)
Usually a meat -
steak-
country stylle spare ribs, pork chops,
Alaskan snow crab legs, lobster, (lots of butter)
scallops with bacon pre bought,
Shrimp with coktail sauce 1 tablespoon ketchup, horshradish, lemon juice)-
sushi nigri,
philly cheese steak with mushrooms minus the bun

In general I take a multivitamin and a seperate E

Cheats- 2 diet cokes spaced appropriately throughout day
No carb cheats,

Well this has been most of what I have been eating.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 02:05

Stats: 200/185/165
BF:
Progress: 43%

Great ideas on this thread, given me great ideas