Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%
Default Sweet tooth kicking in...HELP!!!

OK, since about an hour ago, I am craving really bad! I just want something sweet...anything sweet. It didnt help any that I ate at my in-laws tonight and there were baked potatoes, crackers that I love, and STRAWBERRIES!!! I wanted those strawberries. I concocted a scheme to steal them without anyone knowing, but made myself NOT take them. I miss them. I miss the carbs...I am fading here and need something that at least tastes half sweet...please tell me of something I can go buy at the grocer right now to help me out...Im in induction and do NOT want to throw myself out of ketosis...help me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:22
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Mobster. I haven't read the book yet. I am starting the Atkins on Monday. Can you have peanut butter? Maybe that will help.

Don't quit!

Peace
red
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:24

Not sure about the pnut butter...but I am willing to try just about anything right now. I feel like a junkie trying to NOT take his next hit!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just for future reference, 1/2 cup of unsweetened strawberries has about 5 grams of carb so a few of them probably wouldn't have done you in.
Most sugar cravings can't survive a snack that is high in both protein and fat (I'm thinking chicken wings here or Splenda sweetened cream cheese). Chromium and L-Glutamine are also good for sugar cravings.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:40

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile hi

1/2 cup of strawberries has 5.4 carbs..take away the fiber and you are left with 3.6 carbs. you might be able to eat that and cut back on carbs somewhere else if need be. Also heavy cream plain of whipped is nominal carbs...maybe 1 for the amount you would eat with them. Just don't use sugar in the cream. How does that strike your fancy? Are you still in induction?

#6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:46

Yes, I am in induction. If I start on those strawberries, I wont stop...I dont want to get myself caught up into that deal...I read somewhere about heavy cream mixed with splenda and something else that is supposed to be really good...anyone know what I am talking about?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:48

Splenda sweetened cream cheese...hmmm....tell me how to mix this and what is it gonna cost me as far as carbs?

WAIT...Ive had my cheese for the day...4 oz of Gouda...dangit! Any others?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:51
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

The best thing to do when you are craving a sweet is have a protein instead. This really does get you through it most of the time. Oh and another glass of water.

The issue is that until you are really in ketosis you will have these cravings but you will be in control soon.

There are things you can have if you must like sf jello and some heavy whipping cream w/ some splenda or 1 oz of melted cream cheese w/ 1 oz heavy whipping cream and packet of splenda for a couple of spoonfuls of something sweet BUT my recommendation is to try to get through this with good protein and you will be setting a good pattern for yourself here.

FYI - I am like a heroin addict myself so I swear to you that i'm not telling you something that I haven't gone through myself.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 18:05

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Water water water

When I have a craving for something...or just want to EAT, I will drink a bottle of water. Usually that does the trick. Most of the time I am just plain old thristy and my bosy tells me I am hungry, or start craving something.

You are doing so well on induction, keep up the spirit. Gotta love this woe!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 18:45

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Mix cream cheese, whipped cream, and splenda for an easy no-bake, no-crust cheese cake. I made some the other day, and it was pretty good. Even my boyfriend liked it. I garnished it with sliced strawberries and more whipped cream on top. He ate some graham crackers with it to make up for the no-crust part, but it was so rich, I didn't care!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 18:45

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Hi,

Try drinking something warm or perhaps a glass of water with a slice of lemon or just a few drops of lemon juice. That will usually cure the munchie (or sweet tooth) attack for me.

As sit here and slowely sip my tea.

Keep up the great progress!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 18:53
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Default This isn't orthodox advice,

but if it's a choice between going over your cheese quota for the day (with the cream cheese and splenda) or eating something you'd truly regret, I'd go over the cheese quota. Of course, it would be best to try the other advice first, but if nothing works, something on your plan always trumps carbage, even if it puts you a little over your limit.

The cream cheese is one gram an ounce, by the way, and Splenda has 24 grams in a cup, or 1.5 grams per tablespoon.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 19:00
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Exercise! When I start to crave something sweet, if at all possible I go for a long walk. Very seldom do the cravings survive the walk.

As a more general rule -- do something physical you enjoy. For me, it is usually walking. For someone else, it might be taking a long bath. The cravings are physical and I think you need to do something physical to distract yourself from them.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 20:47

YEP...craving DEAD! That was the worst one yet, but I got some pork rinds and a gallon of water and I drowned that little craving! Also went out and bought some Heavy Whipping Cram and 6 3oz "bars" of cream cheese. Gonna have fun with this little recipie. It IS ok to have the Cream Cheese, Splenda, and Cream on induction isnt it? If not, Ill save it all until Im off.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 20:51

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default mobster

Quick and Easy

Take a cereal bowl full of pork rinds...spray with butter flavored pam, sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda ...and put in mircowave oven for 30-60 seconds...Wonderful...just will have to count the amount of carbs in the splenda.