Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default help me resist the red velvet cake!

There's all kinds of food up here at the office for Valentine's Day, and not a single bite of it isn't filled with sugar or starch. Worse, it's all in the empty cubicle next to mine, and so I'm stuck here smelling the food all day long and listening to everyone else yak about how good it all is.

I don't find most of it to be very tempting, but the huge red velvet cake with cream-cheese frosting is absolutely killing me. This is my absolute favorite dessert, and I can smell the sugar in it from here. I didn't think to bring meringues or some other kind of "legal" dessert that I could eat instead. I ate my lunch (stuffed cheeseburger and green beans) early in desperation at 11:30, but they're not helping very much. I've drunk 2L of water so far this morning, but it's not doing the trick either. I don't usually have terrible sugar cravings -- been LCing a while now, and never was a big sweets fan to start with -- but it's TOM, and that's not helping at all.

I am absolutely determined not to eat even "just a tiny piece" of that stupid cake, but it's just killing me. However, I'm that much less likely to eat it for posting this thread -- I'd hate to come back and tell y'all that I ate it after all. I need to be accountable to someone else right now, because being accountable to myself just isn't working today!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

The cake is not worth it! Don't do it! If you are like me, you would be so mad a disappointed aftwards - because it is really not as good as it looks - trust me!

Hang in there.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 13:02

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Look how far you've come! You can resist that dumb cake! On your way home from work, maybe you can stop by a department store and try on some beautiful outfits? Maybe if you find one that you like, you can reward yourself by getting it for a Valentines day gift to yourself and for resisting that red velvet clad poison!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 13:05
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Wow!! You are 7 lbs from your goal weight!!! That is so amazingly super. I can't wait to be in the same boat.

Just hang on to knowing how far you have come using your own control of this and know you are going to be ALL THAT this summer!

Happy Valentines Day!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default I fought the cake, and I won!

I managed to get through the afternoon without eating the evil cake, and rewarded myself by leaving half an hour early. Thanks for the support, everyone. Normally I don't have much trouble with stuff like this at parties or restaurants (though it helps that about 75% of my close friends eat LC as well). I am a freelance computer programmer and normally work from home, so I'm not usually in a position where I'm forced to be around junk food without any "goodies" of my own to eat. Maybe my temptation-resisting muscles just aren't as strong as I thought. I've certainly gained new respect for those of you who work at office jobs and face the daily barrage of popcorn, donuts, cake, and candy!

For a final happy ending, I got home the aforementioned half-hour early (missing all the irritating traffic), only to get home and find my copy of _Atkins for Life_ arrived from Amazon! I'm off to further reward myself by sitting out on the back porch and having a nice read for a bit before cooking dinner, doing laundry, and washing dogs...
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 11:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

<center> Good for you!!! </center>

Now bookmark this thread and read it every time you're tempted by junk. Heh heh - it's as if you were 'rewarded' with your new book waiting for you.

Have a great weekend!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 14:12
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Now THAT's the way to do THAT!!!

Good going! Now that you're fortified with that experience, you can do it over and over and over and over.... until you look at those sugary crappy cakes and desserts and just want to

The pride of control the next day FAR outweighs any temporary tasting of something we just "have to have"

We need to just hit our memory banks and be satisfied at that!

Nice job...you've inspired me to rant and rave about giving in to those temptations!!