Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/132/120
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Sweating at Night!

Hi All,

I am wondering about when we actually lose the weight. I read somewhere that most weight comes off while you are sleeping??? I have been sweating a lot while I sleep and I am wondering if that is a sign that I am sweating some of the pounds off? I know this is a strange question, but thought I would run it by you for some idea's. Thanks, julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:35

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Where does it go?

Hi all,

Julie, I have absolutely no idea where lost weight goes.

But, during the night when you are drinking nothing your kidneys are working to remove water. Sweating removes water. Even when you breathe you lose water through a small amount of moisture lose every time you exhale. Also at night there is nothing in your stomach.

I step on the scale right after my morning's shower, and I'm guessing that's when a person weighs the least.

But I have no idea where "real" lost weight goes. Sigh. I do know that sometimes it doesn't go.

Interesting question though.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:49

Stats: 245/230/180
BF:
Progress: 23%

I don't know about sweating, but my first couple of weeks on the Atkins diet I felt that my body temperature increased. I just felt hot at night. I assumed it was the whole Ketosis thing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:02
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi there

I've been hot at night, but not sweating. I thought maybe it was "Hot Flashes" as its fast approaching that time of life for me, but since I don't know for sure what a hot flash feel like its hard to say. Usually I'm cold, very very cold, so this is something new for me.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 18:57

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

My night sweats also increased , not right away ,but more as I lost my belly fat. I assumed it was because I had less estrogen since my understanding is that estrogen is stored in fat, especially belly fat. I've added black cohosh to my supplements and it seems to help
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%

I have also been getting very hot and sweaty at night, but during induction I had no other ketosis signs, I am hoping it was ketosis...but yes night sweats... I will be interested to find out more about them..
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Talking Sweating at night

Sweating at night can be caused by many things.

If you are using a fatburner with ephedrine this can make you sweat big time.

If you drink some tea, or some green tea or any other hot beverages that can also make you sweat big time.

If you are nervous, stressed out, or sick with a virus.

I do beleive that sweating can be related to weightloss, not only water loss and i have some proof.

When you have a fever your body temperture is elevated so your body burns more calories then normal, same thing happens when you use a fatburner.

Same thing happens when you take a sauna or hot bath, but your body temperture is elevated for a short amount of time, not like when you have a fever and you sweat all night.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Re: Sweating at night

Quote:
When you have a fever your body temperture is elevated so your body burns more calories then normal, same thing happens when you use a fatburner.

I am no doctor, but isn't it the other way around. Your elevated body temperatures is a result of burning more calories rather than burning more calories is a result of increased body temperature.

Personally, I think feeling warmer in situations where you used to feel cold (i.e. while sleeping) is a good thing. It means your body is working better and your burning calories. Your metabolic rate has probably increased. I suspect you were cold before because you body was trying to conserve energy and stored it as fat. Now that you have 'trained' your body to know it has a steady source of fat, it does its job and keeps you warm at night. The sweating might just mean that you no longer need 6 blankets and a heavy comforter anymore.