Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default just beginning--question

I've just started and keep hearing different opinions on how many carbs a day i can have-at most.Is it 20?or less? A friend of mine lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks on atkins. I excercise and tend to eat healthily anyways, but i want to lose at least 20-25 pounds.I just want to make sure i'm not sabatoging myself.
Any help?
thanks much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi jblake!

If you're following Atkins induction, the most you can have is 20 grams of carb a day(although I wouldn't fret about a gram or two in either direction). Going below that won't help you lose weight any faster, so it's best to stay as close to 20 grams of carb per day as you can during the induction period. Also, it works better to spread your carb allowance out through the day and not save them up to eat all at one time.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 16:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

I hate to sound mean, but you really need to read the book (if you haven't already). It will explain that you should only have 20 carbs a day during induction. The book will also explain why the diet works and what is going on with your body. Not to mention the supplements, water intake, and excercise you should be getting.

If you haven't read it already, I think it will be a great tool for you.

good luck
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 20:09
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Why don't you post a sample menu of what you eat in a day? Sometimes we don't see the carbs or the types of foods that are hindering us until we write it out.

Also, use fitday.com for a complete view of all your calories, protein, fats and carbs...it's very helpful.

I ate all "legal" foods for so long...but didn't realize that portions do eventually count, and those "snacks" I thought were ok, really weren't.

#5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:16

BF:
Default here's a sample of what i've been eating

since you asked--
2 scrambled eggs
bacon
coffee with 3 equals
salad w/ chopped tuna,sundried tomatoes,cucumbers,parm. cheese, tiny bit of balsamic vinegrette

2 pieces celery w/ fat free cream cheese
cup coffee w/ 3 equals
salad w/ 1/4 lb beef,shredded cheddar,taco sauce, less than 1/4 tomatoe

thanks--and yes i'm getting the book but feel free to comment-
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:56

Stats: 245/230/180
BF:
Progress: 23%

One comment would be: Can you give up the coffee? Atkins is very clear about needing to cut caffeine. The other thing Atkins is clear about avoiding is Aspartame - that stuff in Equal.

If you're already in pretty good shape, that's probably why you're not seeing the first week loss. In my humble opinion that first week loss is all water. Don't get me wrong, I'm losing inches and happy about it. I really couldn't care what I weigh so I rely on the measuring tape to track progress.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:55

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Post My 2 cents...

You may want to also ditch the balsamic vinegarette and switch the f/f cream cheese to regular full fat cream cheese. I believe Atkins mentions something in the book about not having balsamic vinegar as it has extra carbs. As for the cream cheese, fat free types tend to have added carbs and other additives to give them their "flavor". The fat content shouldn't matter since most of your caloric intake should come from fat if you're following the Atkins plan (correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck!
Nikki
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:57

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Post PS...

The taco sauce may have [hidden] carbs, too. If it is more like salsa, it should be lower, but beware of the hidden carbs-- they can sneak up from nowhere!

Nikki
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:05
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

They are right about the fat free cream cheese has much more carbs the the regular.

Balsamic vinegar has a lot of sugar in it and your not eating enough fat so just switch to a lc high fat dressing like ranch, caesar or blue cheese and enjoy...

And some people do fine with coffee - just make sure you count the carbs (8oz = 1carb - each sweetner packet = 1carb - each oz of cream/heavy cream/half and half = 1 carb)

Here is a list of the allowable foods

Last edited by lkonzelman : Thu, Feb-13-03 at 15:06.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:16

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

I agree, definitely switch to the full fat cream cheese- low fat does no good while doing Atkins. If you really like Balsamic Vinegar, there is one by Walden Farms that is low carb- less than 1g per serving. Try replacing your Equal with Splenda, which doesn't contain the dreaded aspartame. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:56
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi jblake...

It looks like your menu is fine, other than what suggestions have already been made. I like my coffee too...I use the pink packets, but they're still better than the blues...Splenda, I hear, is best for you.

A few other things to kick it into gear may be...drink a TON of water a day, UP your veggies, and UP your fats...there's not a low fat thing about this WOE...because they play a vital role in how we process and metabolize.

You're in the early stages...don't stress about it and don't try to change too many things at once...just follow the basics, when you get the book you can make the necessary adjustments...you'll be fine...it does take a little time, but it sure is worth the effort.

#12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 10:09

BF:
Default Thanks guys

i appreciate your taking the time---thank you!!