Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Unhappy People just dont believe in low carb diets

I have been swimming for 3 weeks now, almost every morning and started low carbing January 27th 2003.

By cutting out all dairy products and carbs i have been able to get ride of all the stomach bloating i add. My gut and lovehandles are almost gone has well.

So this morning i was in the sauna and this guy thats swims every morning comes in, he starts talking to me, he said, what kinda a diet are you on and what exercices do you do, its quit amazing how much fat you lost on your stomach.

I first told him that right now since i have a lower back injury i cant do very much in therm of training so swimming has about it, and a brisk walk with my dog when its not to cold outside.

So he ask me what kinda of diet i am on and what supplements do i take.

Well i got to go to breakfast with him and offered to explain everything in detail to him, and make sure he understand everything i said so he can benefit himself of low carbing.

So we get to the gym small cafeteria, he orders 2 brand muffin, 2 pieces of toast whole wheat nothing on them and a tall glass of orange juice.

I order 2 whole eggs and 3 slice of bacon, you should have seen the look on is face? what all that fat.

I told him that fat isnt evil and explained the whole concept of low carbing.

I just couldnt beleive it the guy saw how fast i got resutls and that low carbing works, he just didnt beleive in any of it.

He thank me but told me that its not for him and that he will stick with is high carb diet.

He told me that he has been training for 2 years now and has lost 10 pounds, i told him that with low carb he could have lost 50 pounds.

Its pertty sad that everytime i tell people that i am on low carb i get this is dangerous, be careful, its crap.

But the people see it works????????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 21:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/100
BF:
Progress: 0%

wow thanks for the posting! i'm starting my induction phase tomorrow and i really needed to read that! i was wondering - you said that you cut out dairy? do you still eat cheese? i find that i have to limit my cheese intake too. but since i'm a vegetarian, i find that i need a little bit of cheese in my food plan for varieties.

you're brave enough to share your diet with other people. i get that a lot in the past when i did LC too. then people scared me with all the unhealthy stats and i went off the diet. i don't do the diet to lose weight actually. but i find that when i am on the other "balanced" diet, i tend to obsess with what i eat and i never feel satisfied. the carbs had harmed me more mentally, than physically.

please keep us posted with your progress
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

What I never realized is how few calories a low carb diet actually has. To get to 2000 calories you have to have 3 large meals and a few snacks. His 2 muffin, 2 slices of toast and juice breakfast was probably pushing 800 calories (more if they were large muffins) while your 2 eggs and 3 bacon strips would be in the 400 calorie range. He probaby doesn't realize that either and yet probably believes that to lose weight you have to reduce calories.

David
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 23:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

A lot of people are still stuck in the low fat, high carb mentality. I'm trying to talk my mom & dad into trying Atkins, but they won't even hear of it. They are both type b diabetics and have been fighting obesity for years, but they still insist on eating low fat, high carb. I guess the only way I can change their mind would be to lose weight and my health problems. Hopefully then, they will at least give LC a chance!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:16
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally posted by Yaseruzo~!
A lot of people are still stuck in the low fat, high carb mentality. I'm trying to talk my mom & dad into trying Atkins, but they won't even hear of it. They are both type b diabetics and have been fighting obesity for years, but they still insist on eating low fat, high carb. I guess the only way I can change their mind would be to lose weight and my health problems. Hopefully then, they will at least give LC a chance!

I am not even going to tell my parents I am LC dieting until they see the results. I live 500km away and won't be visiting again until mid-march. Hopefully they will see a difference and want to know how I did it. The evidence will make it easier to try to explain it to them. I've only been doing LCing for about a week and am already feeling and seeing the difference.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Talking I have no choice to cut out all dairy yes

Of course i am humain and i do eat ice cream and yes pizza with cheese.

But when on the diet i dont eat any cheese at all.

I am allergic to lactose, and i get stomach upsets and bloating when i do eat this.

I am always ready to share things with people, i am so mad about how most supplements companies and others wanna profite over people who diet, slim fast and all the other crap, infomercials.

Low carb works it does but its hard, i am a sugar addict and have a hard time fighting sugar cravings. I can get by drinking diet sodas and am lucky enough to stay into ketosis, i cant drink a big bottle but say 2-3 small canes are ok.

I decided to do this diet because it was enough for me, and of course high carb low fat diet work on me but to a certain point.

Yes you are always hungry on high carb diets, yes after your rice and tuna plain half an hour later you wanna eat more more more so this makes it very difficult to stay on, and i do believe that insulin has a part to do with fatloss.

A typical high carber dieter will eat 6 times a day has its recommended, they say that insulin is elevated for 1 hour well depending what you eat, if you eat fruits, banana, high glycemic your insulin will be elevated for more then an hour.

So the high carber that trains in the morning and eat is high carb diet 6 times a day. This means that he burns fat for about 10 hours a day, but the low carber being in ketosis burns fat for 24 hours, so who is the winner at the end of the line.

Another thing that i have noticed is that yes low carb burn more fat and more stubborn fat too, i was never able to get rid of my lovehandles on high carb diet, but when i do low carb and really put myself into it i burn a lot of fat, right now i can see that i am melting fat under the abs, wish is very hard to burn.

Many companies have lots of money to lose and most low carb product are fakes, low carb protein bars ( check the sugar contant, thats an automatic kickout of ketosis.).

I am gonna continue spreading the word about low carb, its not a crime and it works.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:40

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I used to feel this way, too. Believed all the publicity on the high carb-low fat diet. Have been battling my weight (and hunger) for some time now. My sister went on low carb and lost thirty pounds and has kept it off. After seeing how well she did and reading the Atkins book several times, I started this WOE. So far, so good. I'm on my sixth day, down 4 lbs, never hungry, and feeling fine. I think I'm in for the long haul.
Having a little trouble with the eggs so don't eat them every morning. One day I had a pork chop and one a hamburger patty. When I eat eggs I want a piece of toast with them.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Ah, toast

Hi all,

BarbCA, oh yes! I always thought Toast was Eggs middle name.

When I was eating low fat, I was disgusted by how food processors seemed to sneak fat (usually the really bad kind) into everything. But that's picayune compared to how they add carbs to stuff.

Here's my stock tip for the day: Invest in Corn Syrup. They add it to everything! I haven't checked a lable recently, but they're probably injecting it into dill pickles.