Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 14:59

Plan: Atkins/Intro
Stats: 194/186/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default confusion w/ carb counting

I am taking this off the top of my head, so bare with me.

Ok, confused with labels. Something will say 20g carbs, but 2g NET CARBS in small writing somewhere... then I've seen posts about fiber not counting as well.

Now, if doing the induction of Atkins or maintenence which carbs does one count? I'm so confused with this part.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You must be talking about a low carb bar or shake, right? If that's what you mean, there's no accurate answer to your question. No one is quite sure how the body processes the funny sugar alcohols that they use to sweeten that stuff. The manufacturers insist that the body doesn't respond to them, so they'll say '3 g net carbs' or something like that. But many people *do* get blood sugar spikes from them. I noticed on one package, there was the statement something like, "calories from glycerine and oligofructose added to calorie count but not included in carbohydrate count" Huh? Something's fishy.

If that's not what you're talking about... sorry. Yes, it's true that you don't count the fiber. This is because fiber passes through your body and can not be broken down. There's no arguement over that one.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:34

Plan: Atkins/Intro
Stats: 194/186/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Yeah, I guess it is mainly bars/cake mixes etc. that I've seen it on. So, I guess it's best just to monitor yourself after eating one of these to see if it affects you? Then to count the regular carbs? And not the net carbs? Right?

Oh this is so confusing! LOL!!