Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 22:15

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 176/163/165
BF:
Progress: 118%
Default Fat Intake

When you are talking about adding more fat to your diet what specific foods are you talking about. Fred
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 22:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

Hi Fred,

I usually add butter, cream or macadamia nuts. I made macadamia nut balls (Dr. Atkins described them on Larry King) once and they were great - NO PROBLEM increasing the fat intake that day...

Process 2 oz. macadamia nuts in a food processor adding cream & a packet or so of splenda as you go until you get a thick sludge-like consistency. You can roll up bits in your hands into little balls- the warmth of your hands will make them get oily on the outside of the ball. If that sheen makes you unhappy, roll the ball in ground up almonds, which will hide it.

They are yummy, and should be low enough in effective carb count to have for a treat every now and then.

Hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 22:35

BF:
Default Fat Intake

Thanks for the info, my wife has hit a wall on losing even though we both keep our carb intake below 20 gr. a day and after reading some of these posts we were wondering if maybe she is not consuming enough fats. Fred
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 22:50

Are you using fitday? That might give you some clues. She might not be eating enough in total calories. Is she drinking lots of water? How long has she been doing the plan? How much weight has she lost already? She may just be at a "catching one's breath" stage.

Posting some sample menus might help.

Best of luck,
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:07

BF:
Default Fat Intake

We started 12-26-02, I myself have been on the Atkins diet before, around 1978 the first time and did well on it, I`ve lost 12 lbs and she has lost 7 lbs but has not lost any for 2 weeks. We usually have bacon and eggs for bfkst sometimes a salad w/grilled chicken or maybe just a shake for lunch and steak or fish for supper with a salad. We also like jello with Rediwhip topping for a snack or some of the other recipes with got from this forum. Fred
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:11

It does look like she's in need of more calories. It could just be an adjustment stall.

In addition to extra fat, try increasing the amount of vegetables and water, or adding some light exercise like walking if you're not doing that already. Try plugging her food intake into fitday for a few days, and that will show you where she needs to adjust.

#7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:19

BF:
Default Fat Intake

I don`t know what you mean by fitday. We started our diet while visiting our daughter in Fl. and she lost her weight there, we came home to Decatur on the 19th of Jan. and then we started walking every day. We are up to 3 mi. a day now. I need to get in shape for the up coming golf season. Fred
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:27

Default Aha

Ok - click on this link fitday and it will take you to a nutrition program.

The account is free. You enter the foods you eat and it calculates calories, fat grams, protein, carbs, fiber, etc. for you, which will show you a pretty good picture of your daily intake. The only thing is watch the default amounts. For example, when I select cream (that I have with my coffee), it defaults to one cup.

Sorry, I should have realized you weren't familiar with the site!

I'm a golfer too (although not a good one).
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:34

BF:
Default Fat Intake

Thanks, we`ll look into it. Since I retired from the railroad 6 yrs ago I have a part time job at one of our Park District golf course. So I get to play quite a bit. Fred
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:35

Default Lucky you!

I get to play once a week while I'm in Japan, and hardly ever when I'm in the states.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:42

BF:
Default Fat Intake

Good Luck over there. Here its almost midnite and we have to get up early tomorrow and hopefully with your help Charlene can start to lose again. I`ll let you know how it works out. Fred
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Fred, you also need to know that it is normal for people to lose 10% of their total desired weight loss during induction and then stop losing for a few weeks while their bodies catch up to the loss. You haven't said how much your wife wants to lose. Is it around 70 lbs? If so, her "stall" is perfectly normal and tweaking the plan may not change a thing. (Not that it will hurt you in any way to track your eating on FitDay, either.)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 16:16

BF:
Default Fat Intake

Thanks for the info, My wife started at 142. she is 5foot 3, 68 yrs old, would like to get under 130, around 125 or a little bit above, she`s dissapointed that my daughter and I have continued to take off pounds while she is stuck at 135. Fred
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/144/140 Female 5'7"
BF:36%/29%/whatever
Progress: 89%
Question ratio of fat?

After reading this post I'm wondering if there's a particular ratio of fat/protein/carb etc that is ideal for weight loss on this low carb way of eating?

I have been strictly on induction for well over 2 weeks (strict except that I have one cup of coffee per day and sometimes a diet coke) and my weight loss is very slow... maybe .5 lb every 5-6 days.

Is there an amount of fat that I should be taking in each day? I do use fitday, and can see the proportions - but aside from 20g of carb, are there other guidelines to follow?

thanks - Penny
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

You'll want your fat ratio to be 65% of your daily intake or more.

Mine is typically in the 70's, sometimes higher.