Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/227/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default 1 gram of sugar

I've noticed on some of the atkins products they have one gram of sugar in them. I know your suppose to go by the carb count.I never could quite understand this.I'm making frozen chopped spinach today, I noticed it has one gram of sugar. A-1 steak sause has 3 grams carbs, 2 grams of sugar. Am i allowed these items, and if i am how many grams of sugar are you allowed with low carb foods? It seems like everything has at least 1 gram of sugar. Can someone explain this to me! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default a half answer...

Hey chenevy

I am surprised to see there is real sugar in the Atkins foods....I did not know since I do not buy any ready low carbs products... bear in mind that some people find that these foods put them on a stall (no weight loss)

MY understanding is that no sugar is allowed and you should try and avoid it as much as possible, especially if you are on induction. Any sugar intake can raise your insulin and thus, potentially cause a craving for carbs in your metabolism...
In any food that I buy, I do steer clear of anything that says has even the slightest amount of sugar.

Hmmm. .. I really do not know how to answer you exactly. I simply wanted to acknowledge your post and say it was a great question. Hopefully someone can bring a bit of light.
Karen knows quite a lot and hopefully she will read your post.

Will be visiting your thread!!
ciao
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Look for sugar in the ingredient list instead of in the nutrition profile. Many foods - like vegetables - do contain natural sugars but the sugar in vegetables are not the ones you have to worry about. The sugar in the nutrition profile is part of the total carb count. In some foods it's broken out into a separate line. You don't have to add the sugar and carbs together for the total because the carb count is the total.

Does the A-1 sauce have sugar in the ingredient list? Whether you want to eat a small amount of it in a sauce is up to you. Some people avoid it in all foods and others don't mind a little here and there. If you're losing weight and feeling good, you're doing OK.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 11:02
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Karen,
So your saying that if sugar isn't in the ingredients list and it's low carb I can have it?I just read on the atkins bars that the sugar is naturally occuring from fruit pieces.The frozen spinach (regular) has 1 gram of sugar on the nutrition panel,it doesn't have a list of ingredients.The A-1 doesn't have sugar in the ingredients either,so i assume i can have it in moderation,am i right? Thanks so much for the help!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 11:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, but sugar comes in many different disguises. You also have to watch out for these...

sucrose, dextrose, fructose, lactose, glucose, maltose, white and brown sugar, succanat, turbinado, demerrara, molasses, corn syrup, maple syrup, honey, barley syrup, malt syrup, rice syrup cane juice and syrup and fruit juice concentrate.

Then, there is modified food starch to watch out for too or any kind of starch.

Low-carbing really teaches you how to read labels, doesn't it?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 11:19
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Eva,
I'm going to be off induction Tues. and I bought some atkins bars.I understand what I'm doing better since Karen wrote.
As much weight as i want to lose I'll probably do the ongoing only on weekends and follow the induction during the week.I just couldn't get the sugar part right,because everything has at least 1 gram.Now I understand it's a natural sugar.Thanks for writing,I'm going to need all the help I can get!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:07
Registered Member

BF:

Karen.
Thanks for all the help,and
for having this forum,I think it really helps to read other peoples post.and to know your not alone.Everytime I feel the urge to go off this diet,I read the posts!
One more guestion on the nutrition panel,if a product says it has 1 carb,and the fiber says it's less than 1 gram of fiber, how many carb are in that product?