Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 18:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default I'm Back Again With A Fistful Of Vengeance!!

I was quite successful in 2008 in the lc area - lost 40 lbs - and ugh - now have gained it all back and then some!!! I've gotten all my books out - DANDR - Taubes, etc. I can't belive that I fell off the lc wagon so hard!! I'm so ashamed - I'm certain that I'm ready to meet this (LC) lifestyle again, HEAD ON!! I'm watching my mom slowly kill herself and she doesn't even realize it. She's recently contracted type 2 diabete etc. and she thinks its just a "thing that happens when you get older." SO WRONG!!! I know the effects of insulin overload - ITS A FAT MAKING MACHINE - AND A KILLER TO BOOT! It's so true that WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!! I'll be 51 in July and I'm hoping I can give it all that I can and do it again this time - but even better and FOREVER!! UGH!! Any feed -back will surely help. Signed, "Miserable in NJ)"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 19:24

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi "miserable" ... of course you can do it! The fact that you're back is proof of that. I'm so sorry about your mother has accepted the standard response to developing T2 ... totally not necessary!! If you're 51, I'm probably the same general age as your mother 'cause my daughter is your age. She eats better than she did, but not as good as she could ... she still mostly believes the standard lies we've all been fed although she's beginning to question. What's an elderly (old?) mother to do??? I really hope you can educate your mother, at least slightly, but .....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 20:25
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Better a fistful of determination than a fistful of low-carb bars

I gained 3-4 lb towards the end of this Winter and couldn't get it off by eating less, exercise and only two meals. Lately I started frying scraps of pork fat and having some as a side with my other plain meats&eggs and that weight dropped off. Now I think a high fat ratio increases ketosis, especially saturated fats
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 03:45
Princess PIA

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 210/176.6/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Welcome back....there is lots of support here. It sound as though you are ready to make this a life commitment - good for you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Welcome back...
I'm a recent return also...50 years old now, fell off of the wagon and did 2.5 years of regular carb eating and gained 85 lbs...ug!

You can do it!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 07:54

BF:

Thanks Everyone - It Means Alot To Have Your Suuport. Good Luck To All In Our Endeavors!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 17:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Hi "miserable" ... of course you can do it! The fact that you're back is proof of that. I'm so sorry about your mother has accepted the standard response to developing T2 ... totally not necessary!! If you're 51, I'm probably the same general age as your mother 'cause my daughter is your age. She eats better than she did, but not as good as she could ... she still mostly believes the standard lies we've all been fed although she's beginning to question. What's an elderly (old?) mother to do??? I really hope you can educate your mother, at least slightly, but .....

Thank you Glenda - (PS my mom was born in Janurary, 1938 - I don't consider her old - and I don't think you are either - you just happen to be more wiser!!)
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 07:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

I think that LC is like quitting smoking. It often takes several tries for the person to finally be successful. Because you need to actually learn how to live and maintain the low carb lifestyle, and it is perfectly possible to lose weight but never learn or internalize the principles that will keep the weight off forever. I personally did not learn the first round that I had to do this for life. This time, I am glad my weight loss has been slower because I am learning how to live my life. Good luck to you, and don't be ashamed!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 07:32

Plan: Keto
Stats: 230/199.1/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

LC is pretty similar to quitting smoking like Lisa said, it took me a couple tries to really settle in. Even now I slip up and this is my 2nd "official" try, with many many attempts in between. Good luck!