Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 23:51

Plan: adkins
Stats: 200/188/175
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Beer Questions?

I just started the no carb diet like 8 days ago, have had no alchohol at all yet, and don't plan on drinking any beer for another couple weeks, but I had a couple questions about when I do?

I am not a sit down and just have 2 beers kinda guy, so I am not even gonna bother drinking at all on my off drinking days. But I did hope after I get through the first phase plus a week, I could have a 1 night of the week to be 12 pack of beer night. Would this diet still work at all if I did that 1 time a week?

I also was not sure how much worse Miller Lite was vs Michelob Ultra? I think Michelob Ultra has a little more than 1 carb per beer in it, but Michelob Ultra tastes pretty nasty, and I was not sure how much worse drinking Miller Lite vs Michelob Ultra would be? I could suffer with Ultra if it's a much better beer for me to drink on this diet, but if it's not, I won't.

I hoped with this many members, maybe someone has tried this, and I was curious how it would work out for me? Before I started this diet, I was drinking like 36-48 beers a week, and eating a bunch of crap for a long time, and really I am still only still like 15-20 pounds over where I want to be now, and have allready lost like 7 pounds in my first 7 days. I am hoping sticking with this diet 7 days a week, cutting my beer consumption down to 12 beers 1 night a week will work out for me, but i dunno if I did that if I'd ruin this diet or not?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 00:55

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Dave,

I also like beer but here are a few things you should know about this way of eating and beer. The first is you get drunk a lot quicker when on a low carb diet. A 12 pack would make me seriously ill - about 2 beers is all I can manage now.

Second point is that it is very bad for weight loss. The body prefers to burn alcohol before fat and everything else - also it makes you retain water. On 2 beers I immediatly put on a kilo (2lbs) and it takes days to go away.

I don't know about your lite beers as they are not available here.

I'm not saying never drink beer again - I'm just saying take it easy.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Dave. I'm a beer fanatic - in fact, I brew my own! Now that I'm pretty much at my goal weight, I *do* take beer nights, but Robert is right - the more beer you have, the slower your weight loss will be. For every beer night, you're likely to spend several days making up for it. Alcohol throws off your blood sugar levels the next day, so if you have a beer night, be sure to be a little extra strict with the carbs the next morning and afternoon at least, and drink plenty of water.

Now, I noticed you haven't read any of the LC books - please make an eight dollar investment in your health and pick up a copy of Atkins New Diet Revolution. That's how much it is at amazon.com, or you can probably find it cheap at a book store. It's vital that you do it by the book - winging it can have bad concequences on your health.

Cheers!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:21

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile I love my beer

I drink Bud Ice & Mich Ultra all the time, it hasn't really stalled me. It just sorta passes right through me. Everyone's different.

I am not a sit down and just have 2 beers kinda chick either.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Beer

Man, I was once a 12 bottle kind of guy, but I can't handle more than 2 now. I get a hangover.

You're right, Ultra tastes like water with some beer spilled in. I think Lite is a good option.

But as everyone has said, you'll burn that alcohol before you burn anything else. It's like un-doing the good you've done.

Maybe try 3 or 4 and see how that goes??

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:29

Smile Oh yeah

By the way carb count for Mich Ultra 2.9g & Miller Lite 3g.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 12:17

Plan: adkins
Stats: 200/188/175
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'll just wait a while on my beer nights. I actually did this diet a few years back and had outstanding results. My goal weight was 180 and I wound up 172. It was the best I ever looked in my entire life. Man was it awsome bummin around at 172. Females that just walk right on by me now were asking me out, and even though I was then and still am married, it was flattering. Bad news was I eventually quit the diet completely and wound up right back in the 200 range.

That's the only reason I went back on this diet, not health reasons, just the fact I wound up looking so much better and got so much attention when I was lighter. I just woke up 1 day with a bad hangover, looked in the mirror and saw my bloodshot eyes and puffy face with bags under them, and just said to myself, you look like sh*t man.

It actually pissed me off for whatever the reason that day, and I just said to myself this guy has gotta go, I want the guy who looked good back now.

Thanks for the replies. It's kinda nice just thinking and typing about my goal, because once in a while I get the I am torturing myself feeling kicking in, and the pizza and beer start calling my name, but when I think about or type about how I felt when I did without them, I am okay again, and the torturing myself feeling turns back into, you are not torturing yourself, your bettering yourself. I'll just leave them beers in the grocery store cooler a while longer.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:46

Stats: 190/172/160
BF:
Progress: 60%

I tried Michelob Low Carb and hated it.

However, I did ALOT of research on lite beers on the net.

My choice now? Miller Lite. It has only 3.2 grams of carbs. (Bud Lite has 6.6 and Coors Lite has 5.0). Yes, it tastes great, less filling, yadda yadda, yadda. But besides the taste, you can get it at a reasonable price.

(Bud Lite has 6.6 and Coors Lite has 5.0).

As for beer nights, I may have 6 Miller Lites on occasion on a Friday night. And what I try to do is have no carbs at all for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That way I don't feel so bad about having the beer carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 14:50

Question

Lee,
Where'd you find the beer info?
Thanks,
Jaden
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 16:42

Stats: 190/172/160
BF:
Progress: 60%

Here's one link:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/articles_read/248/

Scroll down a bit and you can see the carb amounts for different beers.

I also went to google.com and searched on lite beer carbs, or something similar to that.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 17:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

i also am a big social drinker and i can honestly tell you that alcohol and doing low-carb do not mix well. i have found that i don't gain as easily if i stick to the hard stuff instead of the beer. also, with the hard stuff - it hits you faster and you don't have to drink as much

Lisa