Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:36

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Some questions & observations...

Hi there,

I'm on my 7th day of Induction now, and now fully appreciate fully understand what people here meant on the "challenges" of this period.

I experienced much of what others have here; for instance, feeling warm, general listelssness, occasionally nauseated, and general malaise. Thankfully, I'm feeling infinitely better this morning after a breakfast of cheese omelette and bacon strips.

I have searched for threads with trouble sleeping, since I've been experiencing them for the last 4 or 5 days. Mine are different than most. I fall asleep, then abruptly awaken about 2 hours later, repeating throughout the night. This has never happened to me before, so I can only attribute it to the new eating regimen. I have little trouble falling asleep again after waking, but only to wake up again 2 hours later.

Has anyone experienced this? Does this go away naturally after fully acclimating to the LC lifestyle?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 13:20
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool

Hi Frederick,

I have had a good time of this WOE since I started. I had a headache near the start, and some fatique, but that went away quickly. Drinking lots of water really helped.

You described my sleep pattern a week or so ago to a tee. Wake up almost feeling like I could run a mile, but not an issue to go back to sleep. Now, part of my wakefullness has been the 200oz of water a day I've been drinking, which I've moved further away from bed time But, I have been for the last couple of nights only waking up once or twice, so is getting better.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 18:37

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks Cartmanis.

Comforting to know that there's a good chance it'll improve; naturally, the prospects of this sleeping pattern indefinately would be intolerable.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 19:46
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Ketosis can cause restless sleep or a feeling of excess energy. Some people up their green veggies a bit and others find help with a calcium/magnesium supplement taken before bedtime. It should be in a 2:1 ration 600/300.

You could also try not drinking water after a certain hour at night so you won't get woken up more than once.

HTH

Beth