Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234.5/207/130 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Just a few questions!

Hi,

I just have a few questions about a few things that I eat. If I have low-carb bread, is that ok or should I rule it out altogether? It has about 17 carbs for 2 slices, I had a sandwhich using that bread a few days ago and am wondering if thats going to prevent progress. Also, do I have to limit my salt intake? Last one, I woke up a few nights ago with a really bad leg cramp that felt like my muscle was tearing apart, it stopped after a minute or two, but I was just wondering if it was coincidence or an effect of this WOL. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!! Good Luck everyone, have a great day!

~*shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 16:58

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

hi Shannon,

LC bread is ok...as long as you count the carbs in your daily allowance. So wether it is right kinda depends on what else you are having and whether your total carbs are still at the level which allows you to lose.

Too much salt is not good for anyone. A number of us have switched to a Lo salt option which tastes and uses like ordinary salt but is potassium based instead of sodium. It also doubles as a potassium supplement which you may find you need especially if you are really fatigued.

For those cramps...a magnesium supplement will fix the problem immediately. The best sort is a Calcium/Magnesium combination in a 2:1 ratio. The reason we need to take calc/mag and potassium is because with the amount of water we drink a lot of electrolytes are flushed out of the system and need replacing

HTH
Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 18:03

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

Ditto everything Lesley said.
I would like to add, though, that 17 gr of carbs per 2 slices seems to be a lot to me. Perhaps an alternative would be an Atkin's lo-carb bread or "Food for Life" brand which has 3 gr effective carbs per slice.
Good luck on your low carb journey, and much success!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 19:24

Stats: 234.5/207/130 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 26%

Ok..I will try to find the potassium salt and the atkins bread! Thanks so much for answering my questions (and especially with the cramps, I'll be glad if that never happens again!). Congratulations to both of you on your successes so far, and good luck lowcarbing in the future!

~*Shannon