Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/123/120
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Why do you think the weight loss picked up?

I'm just curious...and don't want to get caught up in too much superstitous behavior...why do you think my weight loss picked up so dramatically? Here's my story...

3 Weeks on Induction...lost 7-8 pounds the first two weeks (though most of that came off in the first week), and nothing in the third week. Took two days off and ate bread and a little bit of pasta. Back on induction...no weight loss for close to a week, then this week BAM! 3 pounds gone. My weight loss begin right after I ovulated this cycle. Before, I would only lose between the start of my period and ovulation, and wouldn't lose an ounce between ovulation and the start of my period. I began induction just after ovulation--so I was really surprised to lose so much weight in the first week. Anyway...do you think it was the two day break that jump started things? The fact that I lose more after ovulation? Or is this just the normal cycle of how it goes for everybody and the break and ovulation had nothing to do with it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 08:31
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Congratulations on your loss! I wish I was where you are with only a few pounds to lose.

After almost seven months of low carbing, I've given up wondering why my weight loss stops and starts and just started accepting that that is the way it is. Every time I have a theory about when I will lose weight, it gets refuted the next month when I lose at a different time. Some things are just out of our control. What is important is that we gradually go in the direction we want to go in, not when or why we do it at particular times.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 07:59
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

When I was a newbie, I used to analyze everything to death. Then, like Liz, I just learned to accept that it is what it is and all I need to do is just stay on the plan.

I can't point you to specific references right now, but I can tell you that the tendency to drop weight is tied to your hormonal cycles....we actually tend to drop in the 2 weeks following TOM, then hold on to weight the 2 weeks after ovulation. Cheats often precede TOM because of intense cravings and then people think that because of the cheat they lost weight....when in actuality it probably has more to do with the hormones and not the cheats. That's my $0.02.