Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/146/127
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default When is it gonna happen?

Hello everybody

I was wondering when people saw weight loss happen during induction. Was it in the second week that you lost the weight. I'm on my 7th day (also my TOM) and have only seen a few pounds. What have been your experiences with induction?.......Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 19:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, generally you can expect to lose 10% of your goal during induction and then 5% per month after that. So people who have say 100 pounds to lose will lose more during induction than those with 10 or 20.

If you've been a yo-yo dieter, the start can be slow but the fat you will lose if you're patient and persistent.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Karen

I'm 27 and have never been on a diet before. This is my first attempt to loss weight. I weigh 160 and want to lose 30 pounds. I know that I have gained weight due to diet. Nobody in my family is overweight. I used to eat boxes of turtles in one sitting, or pints of Hagen Daaz ice cream. I've had an awful diet for years.

So I assumed that because I've never tried to lose weight and I'm nolonger eating a box of turtles a day that the weight would drop off. Still learning...........B
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:07

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

Hi there bellaluna. I sure wish that my body would respond 'as expected' to Low carbing. I'd already be thin. But we have to be very patient and persistent in following our chosen plan EXACTLY AS WRITTEN. If we don't do that, we can hardly expect to lose well.

Sounds as though you may need to spend some time on low carbing in order to 'regularize' your metabolism. All that sugar in binges has possibly led to high insulin insensitivity. But LC will repair that if you are patient and keep on, even if not losing.

The other thing is that 30 pounds are not that much (compared to other people here) but it is YOUR 30 pounds so it's important. So your loss may be slow and rather frustrating. But it will work.

I hope you find that eating LC is a very pleasant way to live.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:32
Registered Member

BF:

Actually, even if the weight doesn't come off fast I will still stay on the woe. I feel very clear and the mood swings are gone. Which is very nice. I just wish I could exercise. I live in an apartment building and used to take the stairs (4 flights). Now I can't even make it up two flights with out my legs getting tired. I used to run 5 km every second day ( pre-turtles days) and it wouldn't be until the end of my run that my legs would feel so tired. Is there anything I can do for that. I would like to start exercising. I take 200mg of potassium a day....B
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:55

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

Dr. Atkins recommends that people NOT exercise during Induction, especially the first week. After that, you will gradually return to the level you had before. There are lots of adjustments going on in the body, especially in the early weeks.

Be patient.

#7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 22:06
Registered Member

BF:

Fair enough.......Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: Lo-carbs
Stats: 199/165/140 Female 62.5
BF:39%/25%
Progress: 58%

i'm 24 and never really been a diet. Just would stop eating sweets for a week and then get back on the wagon .. We'll I'm proud to say that it has been 1.5 weeks for me. . and I have lost 11lbs. I guess the sugar/carbs were causing my distruction. I just started doing some walking on the treadmill .. started on thursday. . a week in to induction.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 13:04
Registered Member

BF:

Good for you. I hope I can say the same. I can say that I see changes. Those nasty back fat folds aren't 'deep' anymore. If you know what I mean. But I don't see an weight loss on the scale. Who cares, I feel so good. My moods are always so good, and no more road rage. I used to be brutal on the road............B
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 13:43
Registered Member

Stats: 202/181/154 Female 68 inches
BF:No idea!!
Progress: 44%
Post Second time around for me!

Hi bellaluna!
Well this is my second time around.
History-never really more than 20lbs overweight-ate low for years fat and exercised regularly-loved my pittas and jacket potatoes.Always watched what I ate.
Then was introduced to a modified version of Atkins-just cutting out bread,rice,potatoes and pasta.I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks.So I bought the book and did the induction and lost another 4lbs in 2 weeks and continued to lose everyweek-2 or 3 lbs-for about another month.So I upped my fat and lowered my carb and that seemed to work for me-another 7lb in 2 weeks.After that I upped my carb again to about 35g.Was at goal-142lb in 4 months,started at 170lbs.
This time round the results are not as dramatic.I have tried to get back on the wagon for about a year and was eating low carb and then eating carb-a bad mix which has lead me to put on alot more weight.But I started again and the weight loss is not as dramatic-this is normal apparently.I think my body is reacting differently due to the messed up way i have been eating-LC and high fat and then alot of carb-like chocolate or pizza.Think my metabolism is a bit up the creek.I do feel and look thinner so hopefully I will have lost o the scales this week.
For me Atkins worked really well the first time-I just got complacent and had bits of carb here and there which then gradually increased to every other day and then before I knew it everyday-a very slippery slope !!!And another thing-when I did Atkins last time I NEVER WENT TO THE GYM-I just used to walk to work briskly-about half a mile there and back-3/4 times a week.And I never had better muscle tone!!MAD!!!!
This time I will be making it a WOL!!!!I feel better already.
Hope that helps!!Good luck!!
Lalla

Last edited by lallabrown : Sat, Feb-01-03 at 13:47.