Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/175/165
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Glad to be here!

I’m glad I stumbled upon this board!

Like a lot of posts I read, I’m one of those people whose metabolism slowed considerably after turning 30. Over the past 4 years I went from 160 pounds to 190. While I wasn’t huge, I was getting the gut my father had and I swore I’d never get.

At the beginning of 2002 I went on the standard low fat diet. I lost 10 lbs, felt like I was starving, fell back into my old eating habits and regained the weight (and then some).

I had a friend who’d lost over 40 lbs on a low carb/high protein diet. He turned me onto the low carb lifestyle. I read the Atkins book and started induction on January 14.

Like others, the first few days were hard. I go to work very early and my wife usually doesn’t get home until 6:30. I make dinner for our 2 kids. Since I was going the LC route alone, I continued to make the favorites kids love. Believe me, it was hard resisting the urge to steal a fry, uneaten piece of grilled cheese sandwich or stray chip. But by the end of the week I felt my body make the switch. The most amazing part of the LC approach is not craving carbs. I knew I’d turned a corner when my coworkers and I went to a Mexican food restaurant for lunch yesterday. They stuffed their faces with chips and salsa. I had no problems saying no. I ate a grilled chicken fajita salad served in a bowl.

Fortunately I’ve never been a big sweet eater. I’d much rather eat a grilled chicken breast covered with cheddar cheese with sour cream or sausage and eggs than Slim Fast and Special K.

As of today, I weighted 179.5 and have more energy than I've had in 10 years.

I’m looking forward to learning things on the board to help me stay on the LC wagon and reach my goals.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:04

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Edrut and welcome to the board. The BEST encouragement is what you are already getting: fast initial weight loss, the disappearance of cravings and the energy and feeling well.

You also have the chance to influence your kids' eating so that they will never gain the weight. The high carb snack food is something that came along fairly recently and so did the epidemics of child obesity and lots of adult heart disease and diabetes. So start working on saving your kids from that. be gradual and sneaky about it - don't buy the stuff. Introduce new foods and veggies and salads. They might even like them!

Keep up the good work. All the best.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 18:42

Stats: 250/160/160
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Welcome

Welcome and congratulations!

I look forward to watching your sucsess.

I'm a 47 year old fater of two teenagers started at 250+ and am now between 160 and 165 lbs. I feel great and am enjoying being thin for a change.

I have found this forum to be very helpfull with the "ups and downs" of watching your weight.

Good Luck.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 19:11

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Hello!

Hi Edrut

Hey did you notice how tired, lethargic and possibly irritable your buddies were after the HighCarb ingestion. I'll bet they wanted to head for a couch! You though probably felt like just getting on with the rest of the day! That is something I really notice.
You do not have far to go and I am glad to see you are feeling great!
See you around the forum!