Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 12:53

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/160/120
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Please help me, I'm somewhat new

Hi, I have a few questions. Several years ago I had someone tell me about a low carb diet so I said what the heck and tried it for 2 weeks, the only info I had was..eat all meat, eggs, and cheese I wanted and stay under 20 carbs a day. The first 3 days about killed me! I felt better after that. I really was not very smart and didn't drink water( a repeatable crime for me) and drank diet pop all the time, however I lost 15 pounds in those 2 weeks. Well, I am starting over AGAIN! I decided to see what other info there was out there. I found this site. WOW! I didn't realize how BIG this really was and am now extremely confused. I have been eating low carbs now for about 3 days and have lost about 4-5 pounds. I do not have any books as of now to refer to and do not want to quit while waiting to order one. I am confused about the power bars used for Adkins, do fiber carbs not count?? I have basically been eating, boiled eggs or peanut butter for breakfast, tuna with cheese and no bread for lunch and for dinner taco ingredients just without the shell or torilla and a low carb veggie. Snack on cheese sticks. Some days I hit 20 carbs and some I do not. Does this SOUND ok or what should I change?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/137/120 Female 5'0"
BF:30%?
Progress: 35%

It depends of who's book your reading. Dr. Schwarzbein would say that the Atkins bars and soda are out for sure. As far as the carbs, it depends on your body type, endocrine system, and activity level. The first SP book has the chart.

Dr. S. is all about balancing the meals. Instead of the pyramid. So, all food catagories all at once. When it comes to carbs, eating grains, legumes, or starch vegitables. And no hydroginated oils.

Confusion is something I am suffering from also. Partly because I think I'm not eating enough carbs... also because the SP books I have found to be very complex. I personaly think Atkins is easier to understand.

You can have all the eggs you want. If you are a sugar addict, like me... eat fruit. Berrys are best.

There is so much information in the book... it's good to read it and try and decide.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 19:01

BF:
Default Fruit?

Thank you for replying. I really need to get a book! The friend who told me about this said No Fruit because it was a sugar, natural sugar albeit, but sugar still the same! Do you know if you can use the Adkin's bars like slimfast bars?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 20:58

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Hi,
You really need to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. SP is about healing your body, not just loosing weight. You should go to the link that talks about what plan is best for you and see what you come up with.
There are many people that do their own thing, but when it comes down to it, it is much the same on Eating lots of non starchy veggies, meats, fats, and some carbs.
Fruits are okay, they are better than a meal replacement bar, you just have too know the amounts to eat and when to eat them.
All carbs turn to sugar and there are debates about these replacement bars and what is in them in helping you loose. Read over in the atkins thread and others to ask more questions, and you really need to read so you know what supplements to take and other info that could be needed.
Start a journal.
Visit other journals when you do that they will visit yours and you can find a support system to help you. If you are really serious about LC you do need to read. That I can't underscore enough. Questions are good, but a book can give you the why's when we may not have all the answers.
Tanya
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/137/120 Female 5'0"
BF:30%?
Progress: 35%

I agree with tigersue, you need more information. Reading the SP books can be a challenge... but it's good information.

When I said to eat fruit, I mean if you are craving sugar and can't stand it anymore. Berrys have the lowest GI rating.

Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 22:44

BF:
Default THANKS!

I really appreciate the input!
:0)
Gonna hav ta buy me a book! LOL
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 09:53

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

I have found the my public library to be a tremendous help in making decisions as to healthy eating .

Also if you haven't seen it in other posts here is Dr.Schwarzbein's current web site that has a lot of information:

http://www.drhormone.com/new/index.html

My personal opinion that healthy low carb/controlled carb/ plans include : the best-- The Schwarzbein Principle I & II also DR. Atkins (many books ) his latest is about contolled carbs. Those dealing with controlled carbs with different ways of food combining thrown in are Michel Montignac/Suzanne Somers/ and a little more carbs included --Sugar Busters. My feeling after reading and investigating all is that if you shake them all up in a bag when they come out it would be difficult to tell the difference for a while! All have helped me see the importance of balance, whole /unrefined foods/. Also we must not forget to keep active and have a balanced amount of exercise.

I agree with the other poster who said we have to read .
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 12:42
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Kristine -

I would like to echo what has already been stated, you really DO need to read the book.

Like rosarugosa said, try checking it out from the public library first. I checked out and renewed Dr Schwarzbein's 1st book and cookbook for about 3 months. When someone put a hold on the books and I couldn't renew them, I marched down to the bookstore and ordered my own copies and haven't regretted for a moment. I highly recommend the cookbook.

From what you described you are doing now, it looks a little more like Atkins than Schwarzbein. If you are feeling good with what you are doing, why not read up on Atkins? Atkins has worked great for a lot of people.

The LC way of eating is a personal journey and many of us find we have to experiment to find what works for us. I've found Schwarzbein works best for me because the focus is on real food in its natural state without manmade chemical additives. I want my body to feel healthy and strong, not just lose weight.

Because Schwarzbein allows a few more carbs than some other plans, I can have a small serving of fruit or whole grains to help keep my carb cravings in check. Others have found a stricter regimen such as Atkins helps them keep on track.

There's really no way around it, you have to do the work to find out what works best for you.

All the best,
amie