Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 00:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/255/160
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default sugar substitutes-and questions

reading on that cad-cald site that splenda or other substitutes arent good -- gosh-- i dont like sugar free jello so i put in one packet for each box--ALSO -- i know people never believed me but before i started atkins i hardly ever ate much = drank a lot of pop == but now i eat all the time == can we eat as much of fats and protein (of course moderation) or do we have to limit the amount we eat == im staying on induction does that hurt == how long can we stay on it == if we have to limit splenda-- how much do we limit it to??? i eat a lot of those cheese sticks too==like about 6 a day for snack food with vienna sausage==is that too much maryann
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't really know about the splenda, but I do know that you have to watch your calories. The first time I was on atkins I ate what I wanted and only lost 3 lbs in almost a month. When I tried again after the holidays I started using fitday.com and realized how many calories I was consuming. OUCH way more than I thought. You are suppoe to have 10-12% of your body weight in cals. With a ratio of 70%fat 27% protein and 3% carbs.

Also on induction cheese should be limited to 2-3 ounces. I have heard that it can cause slow losses for some peope. You can stay on induction I guess, but why deprive yourself of the extra carbs if you don't have to. You should still lose with adding 5 more than go from there.

Hope this helps some.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 21:53

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
You are suppoe to have 10-12% of your body weight in cals.

Hello ladies. Lisa: Actually that should read "You are supposed to have 10-12 times your goal weight in cals. "

So someone who was aiming at 200 pounds would eat between 2000 and 2400 calories daily. The proportions you listed are pretty good. Stay in that area but 70-25-5 is Okay too.

Now for Maryann's questions:

Quote:
reading on that cad-cald site that splenda or other substitutes arent good -- gosh-- i dont like sugar free jello so i put in one packet for each box--

I'm not sure why CAD says that Splenda & other sweeteners aren't good. Perhaps because any artificial sweetener tends to make some people crave more carbs?

Quote:
ALSO -- i know people never believed me but before i started atkins i hardly ever ate much = drank a lot of pop == but now i eat all the time

I can believe it. Many people don't eat many calories and yet can't lose on low fat or low cal. however, soda pop that is not the diet type has HUGE amounts of sugar calories.

By eating a low carb diet, you change from insulin (the fat storing hormone) to glucagon (the fat burning hormone). If there is little or no insulin being produced, then the food you eat must be used for energy or eliminated by the body. So you burn stored fat.

Quote:
== can we eat as much of fats and protein (of course moderation) or do we have to limit the amount we eat

Refer to the 10-12 times your body weight above and the 70-25-5 ratio. Eventually calories DO count on all plans. BUt the type of calorie (low in carb calories is also important.

Quote:
== im staying on induction does that hurt ==

Dr. Atkins says that a person "can stay in Induction as long as they feel well". So that's his answer. The problem may arise that if you don't increase the carbs and later come to a long stall, you have nowhere to go back down to.

Quote:
how long can we stay on it ==

As long as you feel well and are losing. But drink the water and BE SURE to take the supplements as Induction may not be a complete source of all vitamins and minerals.

Quote:
if we have to limit splenda-- how much do we limit it to???

Each packet is 1 carb. So your carb allowance is a limit. Spend your carbs in a wiser way on veggies and salad.

[/QUOTE] i eat a lot of those cheese sticks too==like about 6 a day for snack food with vienna sausage==is that too much[/QUOTE]
That's a LOT of salt! Which may cause water retention and apparent slow or no loss. Both cheese & sausage are HIGH in sodium, so you may want to rethink this. Cheese on Induction is limited as Lisa said. The sausage also probably has nitrates which Dr. A. feels are very bad for us.

How about getting slices of roast beef, or leftover cooked chicken for snacks. Or have a glass of water when you feel the need for a snack. People are so unused to drinking water that many are dehydrated without knowing it. So the 'hunger' may really be thirst. Try the water and see what it does.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 07:15

Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you

Barb, I have been using this site for quite a while now and for some reason thought it was 10-12% of what you weigh now. Guess that even as well as I have been doing I might have done even better had I been doing it right. Guess new calories will start today! 400 less a day could have made a big difference when you add it up weekly.

I have also notice that since I added the extra 5 carbs my ratio is more like you mentioned and I was worried a little. Now I know it is o.k.

Thanks for the info!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 09:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Unhappy I'm confused!

Is it 10-12X your current weight or 10-12X your goal weight????? I was eating around 1400-1500 calories a day and was advised that was not enough.
My goal is 140.
Since I have "upped" my calories, I have lost more.

Please advise!!!

Kim