Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/146/127
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Table spoons of olive oil....

Hello everybody

I am new to your board. I have read through some posts and am very excited to have found such knowledgable people. I started Atkins 4 days ago. I don't eat pork, beef, or shellfish. And I don't want to eat too many carbs through cheese, so to get my fat intake where it should be I have been taking 2tblsp. of olive oil twice daily. Does anybody else do this?

Also I have recently read that dietary fat burned can register on ketostix. I thought I was in Ketosis, but maybe the stix are just showing me the burnt dietary fat. Now that I am in ketosis can I lower my fat a bit so that I burn more of my body fat? Thanks in advance to everybody........B
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I don't know what your daily fat intake is, but you need to keep it at 65% or higher. That olive oil is good for you. Do you eat it ON things, like vegies, or just swallow it straight?

Also, if you haven't read the book, it would be helpful because the book explains why the fat is so important. Alternatively, you could search the Atkins website or this one for more information.

www.atkinscenter.com

Good luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 23:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/146/127
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks Freydis

I have read the book. It doesn't explain fat loss as well as the above thread put together for newbies. I just took an hour reading. I understand now.

I eat tuna, chicken, fish fillets, eggs and my alloted carbs. I take omega-3's and take 4 tablespoons of olive oil a day straight, plus all of the fat I get out of my food. I was starting rto think this was too much fat. But from what I've read about the treatment of dietary fats during ketosis I think I'm fine. I really like this board. There seems to be a lot of people posting that have been here for a while. Its nice to see people that actually stick to it. It modivates me to buck up.....Thanks, B