Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 01:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/250/170
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Trouble sleeping?

I have already felt numerous benifits from this WOL, just after 2 weeks. Losser clothing, not hungry, improved skin...better mood and more energy.

The only negative I find is that I haven't been sleeping well. I work third shift, which I realize is my number one problem...I never sleep consistant hours, but this is nothing new to me. Sometimes I sleep from 8 am to 3 pm or 2 pm to 10 pm just depends what I have going on that day. But now I find it hard to sleep 5 hours straight even, and the last few hours I find I have odd "semi-awake" dreams...that are just odd. The kind where you are trying to sleep, but know your almost awake so can manipulate your dream. This just leaves me tired and I end up napping or sleeping way to much on my days off to catch up.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if I'm just an odd duck. I've tried sleeping pills in the past...but don't like the after effects once I wake up.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks all for reading this and have a great week!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 01:47

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Not uncommon

One of the effects of ketosis (in the beginning at least) is a disruption of sleep patterns. Here's a previous thread for you: sleeplessness thread

Hope that helps! It does get better, I promise (in fact I overslept this morning, so it can be done! )
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 01:48

Where are you from in Illinois? I'm originally from Chicago.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 02:59

BF:
Talking big help

Thank you, thank you and thank you!

The link was so helpful, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, a big relief. (maybe I will be able to sleep better now...lol)

I'm in the Quad Cities area of Illinois, How long have you been in Japan?

thanks again!

amy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 17:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have always had a difficult time sleeping ever since i was a kid. I then somewhere that Magnessium helps and guess what - it worked!! i bought a vitamin that has magnessium, calcium, and potassium in it - buy it and hopefully it works for you

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 01:39

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile Jeepers

I think I may be the one who started the thread that you read about insomnia. It struck me funny that I read your post at 2:45 AM......so I guess I just need less sleep. I would like to say that it goes away, but, my being on the computer responding to your post at this hour, saying that, would be truely funny! Alto I do not feel tired during the day now, so victory at last!! I guess if you need the sleep you'll get it, if not, join the club. Well, so much for my ramblings, except to say you are not alone, oh, and did I add a good sense of humor helps.....tee hee.

#7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 02:39

Default Illinois

I've been in Japan for about 5 months, but I'll be returning home in April. My sister lives in Iowa City.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 03:58

BF:
Talking Thanks again

Thanks for the advise all, right now i just take a multi-vitamin and calcium pills...I will have to look for magnessium.

I have noticed I don't seem as tired during the days, but man when I do get tired anymore...watch out. lol

Maybe I just need to try to sleep for shorter times, if after 5 hour I wake up...I should just try getting up and not try forcing myself to sleep.

Catspaw-- Iowa City is such a fun place! I love to go shopping there, although I used to always hit this one pizza place...guess I'll just have to find a new "treat myself" resturant next time i'm there.

Thanks again all for the wonderful advise, this site helps so much. I think it makes a big difference for making such a large change in my life.

-Amy
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 10:41
Registered Member

Stats: 206/170/135 Female 5ft. 7.5inches
BF:
Progress: 51%
Question sleeping - what is that

Jeepers we are in the same area! It is nice to meet you and hopefully get to help each other to lose. Camomile tea will help with the need to ZZZZZZ! Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:42

BF:
Cool Hi didi3

Very nice to meet you didi3!

Are you fromt the quad cities area? Or where at in Illinois. I am loving the snow we just got, I would take a few more inches

amy
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:04
Registered Member

BF:
Wink sleeping better?

I'm on the outskirts of the QC. How long have you been on the plan? Any hints that I need to know? The snow is pretty but I don't much like cold weather - I know I'm in the wrong place! Thanks for the reply.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 14:47

BF:
Default Hello again didi

Hi didi

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been having internet problems on the home front here. BLAH

I've been on the plan 3 weeks now, and have lost a wonderful 20 pounds. This site has been a big help.

How are things going for you? You had asked for any advice I may have, I suggest starting a journal here at lowcarber. It has helped me a ton, plus i've been able to meet some great people.

Also, Drink water, drink water, drink water. I think that's what has helped me out the most.

And keep positive!

hope to hear from you...feel free to stop by my journal and say hi.

-amy

arn't you lovin' this warmer weather!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Good morning

You have done wonderful! How was your weekend? We ( my 7 year old daughter and I) went to church and then to see the Wild Thornberry's movie ( her pick - but it was cute and offered good morals) I HAD to eat some popcorn - who can resist that??? Just had some not ALL!!! (would like to have LOL) Was wonderfully surprised when I got on the scale this morning!!! 194 --- thank you God!! Hope you had a nice weekend, too. Talk to you soon!
P.S. can you tell me about the journal? Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 13:48

BF:
Wink Congrats didi3!

A huge congrats on your loss!!! Dosn't it feel great! I think it also feels so good to feel "in control" again.

The journaling is really easy. There is a "sticky" (link that always stays at top) in the newbie introuce your self forum. Glance through that to learn how to make your own...its really easy.

Another good idea is to read other people's journals. You do this by looking at the end of anyone's post. it will be in the same line as the lightbulb, profile...etc. Just click on the "journal" and it will take you directly to that person's journal (they have to have one...to have the journal button). I think it takes you to the last page...but you get lots of info by scrolling back and looking around. Lots of people list what they eat for a day or recipes. And tons of encouragement.

My weekend was really nice, to short but very nice.

talk to you soon-
Amy