Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Question any help

I have asked many questions over the past 2 weeks while I've been doing the induction portion of the Atkins diet. I have failed to loose any more weight since I started. 2 lbs total....I follow this diet to a tee and feel very frustrated! I thought if I posted what I would normally eat in a day someone mihgt see something I haven't
Break- 3 slices of bacon
2 fried eggs in butter
3-4 glasses of water
I gave up coffee

Lunch - tin of salmon or tuna
2 tbsp mayo
1 chopped pickle
2-3 glasses of water

Snack: 2-3 oz cheese and water

Supper- steak or pork chop or chicken breast
large salad with mayo
steamed beans or broccoli 1 cup with butter
clear carbonated pop no carbs but sweetened with aspertame
2-3 glasses of water

This is pretty much what I consume on any given day. With all the reading I've done I should be loosing. Do I have a high metabolic resistance. According to The atikins chart I do.
Also I haven't been exercising...which is usually walking at night after work...but it has been -30 celcius and I haven't wanted to be outside
so thats it. Any ideas?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 09:31
Registered Member

BF:
Default forget to add

I also have been taking metamucil sugar free once a day
calcium
multi vit
potasium
magnesium
fish oil

I have wondered if supplements affect weight loss
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:15
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Well, i wouldn't say that it's time to panic just yet, but can you tell us more about your medical and diet history?

From your profile, I see you're 40 years old. Female, I assume.

What is your dieting history and general eating habits up to now? Did you generally eat a nutritious and balanced diet or were you a sugar and junk-food junkie? Have you been on low-fat diets in the past and for how long?

Are you in generally good health? Do you suffer with any recurrent symptoms such as rashes, yeast infections, allergies, intestinal problems, etc? Are you on any medications? Has your thyroid ever been tested?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:28
Registered Member

BF:
Wink a little history

Yes I'm female....not yet 40 haha..July. Ever since pregnancy I've had a problem with weight. Did weight watchers and lost all my weight but over the next 3-4 years put it back on. I'm usually up and down. 4 years ago I did the Atkins diet and lost close to all my extra weight. Then I got careless and had a family crisis to deal with...no excuse! I never really went back to eating bread, pasta or alot of sugar but I guess it was enough to gain.This time my husband and I both wanted to get back on track and since I had such success last time with Atkins I thought we should try it. Of course my husband has lost 8 lbs or so and we are eating exactly the same things! I know men loose faster though. I am healthy, no meds just the supplements I listed.
My stomach feels bloated. But I have to say that the measuring tape does say that I've lost inches.
thank you for taking the time to get a few more details... any advice or tips I would greatly appreciate!
Thank you in advance
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:44
Starting Over!

Ok, that sounds good... no major health concerns

Next thing you should do then is to become familiar with www.fitday.com and start recording your daily intake there (record EVERYTHING). Start a journal, record what you're eating there, too....and copy/paste the totals from fitday into your journal. This is to give us an idea exactly what you're eating and we can more closely look at things like calories and carbs...and tweak from there.

I know this all sounds like a hassle, but you'll be glad you did it. I still go through that exercise from time to time even after 11 months, just to keep me accountable and focused.

Have you discovered Atkins website yet? www.atkinscenter.com You might want to look there for information on metabolic resistance or other tips. I'm not suggesting that is your problem, but maybe something you read there will help.

Oh, and the other thing is that since you've done LC before it won't be as effective the second time around as it was the first time...so maybe that's all it is. You're older now too. These things can add up to a slower-than-expected weight loss. Don't worry too much about it....just keep doin' what you're doin' and you'll get there! We're here to help!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:15
Registered Member

BF:
Talking thanks

Yes I have registered with the Atkins site and read the section on metabolic resistance. I have come to think that I must have a high metabolic resistance. I signed up to fitday also but I haven't started using it yet. Counting calories??!! I thought that was one thing we didn't have to worry about on the Atkins diet? I can't recall reading anything in the books about counting calories? Is there a guidline or limit of calories we are to stick to. Or is it a matter of where the calories are coming from? Wow I don't recall this being so involved last time!
Thanks again for the tips. I'll have a look at the fitday site and see if that helps. I'm not ready to quit yet and know that it does work....eventually.
Perhaps it is only a matter of slow loss since I've been this route before
thank you for the encouragement!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:34
Registered Member

BF:
Default fitday?

I just quickly entered todays food plus what I expect to have tonight...I'm at 67% fat..28%protien..and 5% carbs
does this give any clues? Should the fat be so high. And should it be higher than the protien?
uuugggg
confusing!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:35
Starting Over!

Well, looking at calories can be helpful if one is having a hard time. You don't have to do it, but it's helpful. If you're not eating enough your body might be conserving fat. If you're eating too much and not exercising, that's obviously a problem too. So it's up to you. If you don't want to mess with it, just do what you're doing, stick to the rules of induction for a few weeks longer and see how you do!

The calories issue is in THEORY resolved with ketosis as it usually suppresses the appetite. I never experienced that myself. Also, following the guideline to "eat until you're satisfied (not full)" helps to self-regulate the calories. As long as you don't go hog wild with the food, you're probably fine. If you continue to have problems, calories may be something you want to look at and the general guideline is 10-12x your bodyweight. If you're still resistant, you may want to drop down to 10-12x your IDEAL bodyweight. But, like I said, don't worry about that for now....I'd wait a few weeks.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:37
Starting Over!

Fat will normally be anywhere from 65-80%, protein at ~23-30% and carbs at 5%. You're right on target!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:49
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

I'll keep the calorie iformation for a later date incase after 2 more weeks of induction I still have'nt lost anything. And the fitday graph sounds like I'm ok there. What a wealth of information you are! It is so wonderful being able to have questions answered instead of stewing about them alone.
What about exercise....I know I should be doing something but I haven't got in the groove. Walking is my favorite but as I mentioned in an earlier post it has been -30 C here for weeks. Can that really effect your rate of loss. I didn't really do much last time.
thank you AGAIN
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 17:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

you might want to cut down the amount of cheese you are eating. i did and i saw results. i only allow myself to have cheese in my breakfast meals (quiche, omelette, etc.)

cheese is a major staller for a lot of people including myself.
i don't eat much bacon, sausage, etc. but i have also heard that these foods sometimes aren't the best choices.

good luck

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 17:24
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

I have also heard that cheese can slow down loss. Unfortunatly cheese is my weekness. I guess more will power is in order. I thougth bacon and sausage were ok. It seems like every time I turn around something else is questionable.
I will cut back on the cheese and go from there.
thanks for the tips
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 19:11
Starting Over!

You're only a couple of weeks into the plan.... there's no need for you to start eliminating foods quite yet. Yes, it's true that you should stick to the plan which allows 3-4 oz of cheese/day and try not to go over that amount. Again, if after a few weeks you haven't lost any weight, that's one of the areas where you can "tweak". But you are not technically "stalled" until you've gone 4-6 weeks with no loss on the scale or measuring tape. I tend to lose weight in "chunks" of 2 or 3# after 4-6 week dry spells myself. It averages out to a very healthy 1/2# loss per week! Patience is absolutely the name of the game and don't ever give up! Those are the two most important things that you should keep in mind. Relax and enjoy your new WOE, have fun experimenting in the kitchen and be proud of your accomplishments!

Of course exercise is very important. Atkins actually says that you're not doing the plan unless you're exercising. I've been a lazy bum too the last few months but I'm starting a program next week. Time to get off my butt! The weather need not be a factor... there's a bazillion workout videos out there, you can walk the mall, climb stairs, get a set of weights, even walk in place! Use your imagination and think about what you might enjoy...then get started. Start slow if you want and set some goals that push you farther along. Pretty soon you'll be hooked!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 20:44
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Thanks for the encouragement. I will get back to my yoga until the weather improves!
Hopefully my next post will be about my weight loss!
Thanks for all your help!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 08:12
Starting Over!

You're welcome!! Good luck to you!!