Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 21:42

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default POLL: Atkins and blood type?

I was speaking to a Nutritional Consultant and he was saying that the Atkins diet (or any low carb diet for that matter) was best for O type blood. And those like myself, A type....have a much harder time, and the weight comes off very slowly.

Which it has for me. 6.2 lbs in 5 weeks!!! And 4 of them were the first week.

He advised that A's need liver and gallbladder support to help digest the protein, and choose fish and poultry as beef is very hard to digest.

My poll is...

What blood type are you?

How long have you been low carbing?

How much have you lost?

Thanks!
Natascha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 21:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

O positive here and it's been 75 lbs. in 19 months (a little less than 4 lbs per month). Personally, I don't put a whole lot of credence in the blood type theory, but if you think that eating more fish and poulty would help, give it a try! It could also be a sensitivity to arachidonic acid which is found in beef and eggs or even a sensitivity to dairy, yeast overgrowth, etc...
If cutting out the beef doesn't help, maybe you could explore those other options. Best of success to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 22:04
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default O neg

Hello I am O neg I have lost 43 pounds in 4 months. I ma not sure what I think about eating for blood type. I also sucessfully lost all my weight on weight watchers...though I was often hungry and I could not maintain

I really like low carb as I am not starving and if I'm hungry there is always something I can eat...as long as its low carb

Bye YA
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm an O blood type, have been on Atkins for almost 9 months, and have lost 57 lbs.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 04:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm also O positive and have lost 22 1/2 lbs in 5 weeks.

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 05:24
Registered Member

Plan: modified CAD
Stats: 149/123/125
BF:
Progress: 108%

O is the most common blood type (more than 50 % of the population, if I recall correctly), so it would make sense that lots of O type people have success with the diet, because there are more of them to begin with! No magic there; just common sense and math.

I'm type B (10 % of the population). I've had great success with CAD and Stillman (not lately, but that's another story!). I think the "blood type diet" is a bunch of hooey and just gives people an "excuse" for not sticking to their plan.

JMHO.

Skywind
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 07:38

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%
Thumbs down

I'm O Negative and you've lost more weight than me in a similar amount of time.

I'm not seeing a lot of evidence so far from these posts to support your doctors theory!

Keep up the LCing. It does work.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 180/152/155 Female 506
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hi,
I'm A+ and have been LCing since July 17, and have lost 30lbs. Might have lost more if I gave up my wine/cocktails

Sheryl
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 09:07

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

I'm A negative - this time, things are slow for me, but during my first Atkins encounter, I lost 30 lbs in 3 mos. Boy, how I wished for a repeat of that - or any movement downward - period....
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 09:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

"A" type here, as of yesterday, 90 lbs in 16 months

Nat

p.s. I eat a lot of beef!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 15:35

Stats: 215/151/143 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 89%

I'm O positive. I lost 19lbs in 2 months. This is my second time on Atkins and this time I'm loosing slower then the first time.

Nele
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 21:20

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your responses....I meet with him on Wednesday and at least it looks like it really doesn't make any difference!

Thanks again!
Natascha
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 15:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

A+ - same blood type as the author, Dr. D'Adamo

I used to really give a lot of credence to blood type. I have both books plus the cookbook. It was a great way to justify my vegetarianism and high carb intake. However, about 4 months into the WOE, I became severely hypoglycemic. I was constantly hungry. There are just way too many carbs on the A plan for someone like myself. It was when my hypoglycemia got out of control that I found low carb.

The A plan advocates a lower fat, vegetarian (limited poultry & fish are OK, lots of tofu ), dairy-free, high carb way of eating (aside from the specific foods that aren't allowed). His information about lectins, I think, is pretty interesting, but Dr. D'Adamo doesn't address diabetes and blood sugar instability to my satisfaction. Sugar is allowed for all blood types and 4-5 pieces of fruit per day is also recommended. Maybe if he ever addresses the issue of high carbs, I will re-think his theories, but until then, I'm happy just where I am.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:18

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

I'm AB (neg). Have been LCing for just over a year. Did induction for 2 weeks last year, moved up to OWL for about 6 months and on to maintenance for the remainder of the time. Lost 60+ lbs. in about 6-7 months and have kept it off. Have just started induction again - as my original goal was to lose just over 100 lbs. Not doing real well this time, but I think that is more the stomach flu and than cold that I caught.

Will be very interested in seeing what this poll reveals.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:08

BF:
Default Hypoglycemia too!

I agree about the hypogycemia. I am A+ as well....in December a nutritionist told me to have oatmeal and fruit in the morning, and protein/veg the rest of the day. By 11;30am (after eating around 9am) I would start to shake and get irritable...that feeling of I must eat now or i will kill someone!!! It was terrible.

The next day I went back to Atkins....it is the ONLY diet I have ever tried that I am not hungry and bitchy on!!

Natascha