Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:57
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Belly Button (don't read if squimish)

Is it possible to get some sort of infection inside your navel?

Mine seems to be red on the inside and this morning I squeezed a bit of pus from it.

Of course, it is a lot smaller than when I was pregnant, so I can't see very well into it now.

The first thing I tried to remedy it was to wash it well with soap and water and pat dry.

If this doesn't seem effective, I might try a little rubbing alcohol on it.

What do people think?

Beth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 19:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Beth!

Yes, it's possible to get an inflammation in your bellybutton. I've had it a few times myself, usually when it's hot and sticky outside and I've been sweating a lot. I wouldn't recommend using rubbing alcohol on it, though, as that may just irritate it further. If you feel that it needs "cleaning", you can try some hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip or cotton ball and keep it dry with a little Desitin powder. If it doesn't get any better in the next couple of days or you notice more redness, go see your doctor.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 22:52

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm sure you would have mention if it were pierced, but that particular piercing is one of the most likely to get infected. Perhaps you have a small cut you're not aware of that became infected? Easy place to get gunk stuck, so makes sense that bacteria may breed there. Hydrogen peroxide is the route I'd take.

Best to ya.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 04:30
Don't dream it be it

BF:

Thanks for replying.

No, I didn't get it pierced!

I think the soap and water helped as it's not as red as before. Have to use my pinky to get inside there.

I think that I was thinking of hydrogen peroxide...the stuff I bought to help Gennie's cord dry up and to prevent infection. I got a whole bottle really cheap.

Thanks guys, I knew someone would have an idea. I'm going to the doctor on the 30th anyways, if it gets worse I'll check in a bit sooner.

Beth
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/135/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

Not sure if this will help you but I've also read that you can get yeast infections in your navel. Believe I saw that info on the internet. (The things you can find on the internet!) Maybe something for yeast infections might help.

Hope this helps!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 02:41

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I just had a similar problem last week. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and put a glob of triple antibiotic cream in there and it cleared up by the next day. (I have an 'inny', not an 'outy')
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 17:06
Don't dream it be it

BF:

Yes, it cleared up in a day or so. I wonder if it was part of the detox from previous carbing I had done over the holidays.

Beth