Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/238/160 Female 5"10
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default aspartame after induction?

Is aspartame permitted after induction? I really do miss my diet cola's and here in Canada I have not been able to find Diet Rite or any other Splenda based cola. I have tried the Atkins sugar free syrup and club soda in the past - YEESH! It's horrid.

Also sugar-free jello? I know it's made with aspartame as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 13:28

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I think the answer is as simple as "your mileage may vary."

I enjoy a coke with aspartame once in awhile and it doesn't seem to cause problems, but some people may stall or get cravings. If you miss it that much, experiment and see what works for you.

I think the Atkins program shies away from aspartame because it's not the most ideal sweetener due to research. Everything in moderation.

Best to you!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 14:04

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

Some people have no problem drinking or eating products with asparatene - I for one am one of those BUT others it can cause problems (stalls). I would say try it - - but in moderation - - see what happens with your weight loss. But remember - you still MUSt drink the required water...you cannot substitute diet soda for water
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Well, I also think that the DaVinci syrups taste MUCH better than the Atkins brand, though it may be due to the flavors I've tasted. Also, don't forget bottled Crystal Lite.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 07:27

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have had a diet Mt. Dew every day for the past 2 1/2 months I have been LCing. I don't thing that it has hindered my weight loss at all. Yes, I even drank it during induction. I will admit that I have cut back a lot. Before this WOL I would drink a 2 liter a day now I usually go through two 2 liters a week.

I haven't had any problems resisting any other sweets and I don't feel that it has caused any stalls for me yet. So I say if it will make you happy and it doesn't make you stall then you should have some diet softdrinks in moderation.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:21
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I was just reading about this on the Atkins website yesterday and his words are something like: "The exact mechanism is not known, but aspartame appears to stall weight loss in some people. There are many cases where a person has stalled for weeks, but weight loss resumes when all aspartame is eliminated from the diet."

The same goes for caffeine, by the way. So it really is best to try to find a suitable substitute for you diet sodas if you can.

I've been enjoying regular Kool-Ade sweetened with Splenda! Makes me feel like a kid again!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 08:52

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

My opinion is that if you are a person who drinks one can/bottle of soda a day, then yes, BUT if you drink thirstbusters then I would say no, because Aspartame has been proven to cause headaches, tremors, and other neurological problems. My kids both have a seizure disorder and we have researched this. It is just plain old not good for ya. One can a day and then water or herbal tae etc....is better
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 03:47

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm in Canada, too, and I'm having the same trouble as you are. I used to drink 1-2 litres a day of Coke, but since starting Induction 2 weeks ago, I've gone cold turkey-no sugar, no substitutes, no caffeine. BUT, I have looked everywhere for Splenda sweetened ANYTHING (prefer cola but anything other than water would be a nice treat!). It's true the individual bottles of Crystal Lite use Splenda, but as far as I know, they were only avail. in Canada for a short time. I haven't seen them for a couple of years.

If you find ANY drink with splenda for sweetener, could you let me know???? I'll do the same for you!

Thanks and good luck,
N.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 06:17
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I make plain old unsweetened KoolAid and then add splenda to it.... 16 packets in 2 quarts, by the way! I love it!