Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 00:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Second Time Around

Well, I'm in day five of a my new start in Atkins.

I began 18 months ago and did very well for the first 6-9 months. I lost nearly 60 pounds total! I gained half of it back during the next 9 months ... really in the last 4 months.

I kept trying to get back on the LC way of life, but couldn't. I would start fine in the morning, but give in to the sugar and other carb cravings by late afternoon.

This time, a new year, and a new start. Motivation is really everying. Last time I was motivated by a humiliating experience in the mountains of Guatemala. This time it was the doctor suggesting I consider surgery.

I want to give the LC another try before surgery. It really is a health issue ... I really feel lousy eating all those carbs and drugging myself with sugar.

I thought, maybe talking with others who fell off and got back on again would help me keep the motivation up ...

help.

Wendy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 13:36

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Welcome!

Hello Wendy! Glad you've returned to LCing and that you've found the forum...

...I also began LCing (a year ago) when my doctor pulled out the anotomical dummy and suggested surgery. I was already in pain (knees) but the dummy routine pretty much pushed me over the edge and formed the basis for my resolve to lose weight.

I hope you'll continue to post in the forum and in the Triple Digits Club. For me, participation is essential. And I'm down 105 pounds in one year.

Good luck beating the carb/sugar monster!

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 15:57
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

Hi Wendy!

Well, I'm a second timer myself here! I started on the First of January. I had lost 80 pounds the first time around, and then I got pregnant (see my nickname) and after I gave birth, I was so overwhelmed by everything, I just couldn't get back into Low Carb. So........ over time, I gained it all back.

Here I am, back in ketosis, and feeling much better.

You can do it!!! We're here with you! Look at Donald... 105 pounds gone! That's the equivalent of one skinny girl!!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 16:55
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Wendy! I'm a first-timer, but one of my motivations for doing this is to avoid surgery (and it is a powerful motivator)! Welcome to the Triple Digits Club. I look forward to seeing you around.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 00:15

BF:

Thanks, y'all for writing.

I find it's harder to get going the second time ... I just don't have the same passion I did before. The novelty is gone ... the old food all tastes the same, I don't have the energy to cook something new.

Maybe it's more depression than anything ... I saw the doctor today and she's upping my thyroid medicine a little more. I was in the normal range, but we want the TSH lower (to avoid the growth of any unwanted thyroid tissue which may cause the cancer to return). And because I just feel better when I'm on a higher dosage. Maybe it will help with the sluggishness too.

I didn't eat very much at all today ... I was sick last night with intestinal disturbances ... today I was bloated and gas-filled all day ... with no appetite.

But all in all day six was successful ...

Since I began on the 2nd, I'm already down 6 pounds (mostly water, I'm sure). But it's helping my motivation ... so that's good.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 07:18
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Wendy,

I hope you are feeling better today. Isn't it amazing what a powerful motivator a six pound loss is!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 08:09

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile Hi Wendy

Glad to see you here

About a year and a half ago I was on the brink of having surgery too. I went to the one and only doctor in my area who performs stomach stapling. One of his criteria was that before the surgery you had to diet to lose about 10-20 lbs. I remember thinking, if I could DO that, then what am I doing thinking about this surgery. I even went to some support group meeting of people who had had the surgery. Some of them had done really well, some not so good. The thing though that finally made me decide against the surgery was finding a forum online for people who had it. There was a lady on there who was actually DYING from the complications. Her body couldn't absorb any nutrition anymore. And there were others too, who were having serious problems.

So, I gave up that idea. I just decided that for me.. I was looking for a miracle to do it for me.. and it seemed just sad that I would do that to my body, because I couldn't stop myself from eating.

Now.. with CAD, I have come to realize that it wasn't my fault all these years. There was a chemical reaction going on there that made it impossible for me to stop. Understanding that, and knowing what to do to correct the problem has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Keep hanging around here, it is such a wonderful place, with such terrific people!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 15:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 294/269/185
BF:
Progress: 23%
Talking I'm coming back too!

We can do it!!!!!!! I was here last year, lost 39 lbs and was doing great... have now been away for way too many months but am back as well. We'll do it. Second time's a charm????
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:12

BF:

Iris ... glad to see you.

I am doing alright, but not great at this second time around ... I just don't have the resolve or motivation to do whatever it takes. I give in here and there ... which leads to bigger slides.

Today is good ... Atkins shake for breakfast and a seafood fondue and greek salad for lunch ... now it gets harder though ... evening is always difficult for me.

I see our stats are similar ... I went down as low as 230 before putting theweight back on last summer. But now I'm at least holding steady ... I've been around 257-262 since November. Actually, I went up as high as 267 after Christmas so I AM back down a little.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 294/269/185
BF:
Progress: 23%
Talking we can help each other...

WE do have similar stats! I say we encourage each other and we can help each other.... This is only day one back for me so I can't wait to see the results after induction! I'll be watching your stats so you can let me know how it went for you!.... its hard, it was hard last time, right.. but we did it.... and this time we'll just do better!