Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Just started on Monday

I just started atkins on monday and have a few questions.

I mistakenly ate an apple yesterday and I take it thats a big no no, correct?

In the morning I have been eating scrambled eggs, for lunch/during the day I am eating raw carrots (baby) with ranch dip, about 5 slices of cheddar cheese, about a cup of antipasto (from costco). For dinner I ate chicken (cooked in oil with onions and mushrooms) and last night I had a salad with the left over chicken, adding in mushrooms, bacon with a oil and red wine vinegar dressing.

Tonight I think I am going to go for Wings (It's Wednesday!). Are Hot Wings allowed on this diet?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Just started on Monday

Quote:
Originally posted by catnip2377
I mistakenly ate an apple yesterday and I take it thats a big no no, correct? ...during the day I am eating raw carrots (baby) with ranch dip, about 5 slices of cheddar cheese. Are Hot Wings allowed on this diet?

Apple, definite no.
Carrots, iffy - depends on available carbs. I couldn't afford them when I started.
5 slices of cheese is too many. If I recall correctly, the upper limit is 4 ounces, which would be 4 slices.
Hot wings might be allowed, depending on carb count. Some are very low; some are very high.

Reading the book and/or the website would be extremely helpful.

www.atkinscenter.com

Best wishes to you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:57

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome aboard Catnip!

I would certainly agree with everything Freydis recommended about your meals. You gave me quite a chuckle when I read the weights under your name. According to that, your starting weight was 220, you weigh 220 now, and your goal weight is 270! With that darn line up you can eat anything you want to! I wanted to let you know, because as you lose weight, you will get to see that wonderful percentage go up! So, if you line it up differently, it will work!

Sounds like you are off to a good start. This forum was so helpful to me when I had a lot of questions in the beginning. Keep up the good work! Cindi
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:04

Stats: 220/220/170
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by orchidday
Welcome aboard Catnip!

I would certainly agree with everything Freydis recommended about your meals. You gave me quite a chuckle when I read the weights under your name. According to that, your starting weight was 220, you weigh 220 now, and your goal weight is 270! With that darn line up you can eat anything you want to! I wanted to let you know, because as you lose weight, you will get to see that wonderful percentage go up! So, if you line it up differently, it will work!

Sounds like you are off to a good start. This forum was so helpful to me when I had a lot of questions in the beginning. Keep up the good work! Cindi

Thanks for letting me know..... haha
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:23

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I just loved it! I had this great image in my mind of someone who gets to lay on the couch all day eating bon bons and doritos and still having to work at gaining weight! Ahhhhhhhhhhh, in my NEXT life! Cindi
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:34
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi.... you are supposed to eat between 2-3 cups of these allowable veggies. So next time dip raw celery or peppers in the dip.

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

And make sure your dip or dressing has under 2 carbs per 2 TBS serving. Any higher means it has too much sugar for our needs here. Caesar, Ranch and Blue Cheese are usually the best choices but you do need to read the labels.

Fruits aren't allowed until after induction first of all. Second when you are trying to add carbs and you will choose berries since they have more fiber. Apples big no no sorry.

Wings are allowed as long as they have no breading or no dredging in flour.

Cheese is allowed but during induction between 3-4 oz daily (usually 1 oz = 1 carb).
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 14:39

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%
Question confused about cheese on induction

ok i am confused. i started on tuesday 1-21-03. when i read the book i did not see that in induction you had to limit your cheese to 3-4 oz. i dont think i ate more than that anyway but i want to be sure for future reference. i see the link on the website says limit to 3-4 oz. but i swear i read that book cover to cover and keep referring back to it and i didnt see it. i think the book also said you could do cottage cheese as well (if you watch carb count) on induction.

what about taking fiber pills? they only contain oat fiber, red wheat fiber?

what about american cheese in block form, i checked and its not imitation and says it contains no carbs?

i am afraid i am making minor mistakes with this stuff, but minor mistakes could sabotage me. even with these minor mistakes i am pretty sure i am staying within the 20 grams of carbs.

any suggestions? and can you really eat pork rinds on induction ( i didnt see that in the induction foods list )
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 14:55
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Induction allowed Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese.

FYI- read carefully... cheese is not 0 carbs. What it may say is 0 carbs per serving size of 1 oz or 1 slice and that means it can be .9 carbs per serving size. Count each serving size as 1 carb.

Also, processed cheeses like American Cheese are often higher then the cheeses mentioned above so be careful.