Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 11:35

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default never making it out of induction...

I don't think I'll ever quite make it out of induction. This is my second time falling off the wagon. Last time it lasted a week (Christmas, and I gained back 6lbs in the week I took off... so sad) This time I didn't do so bad. My boyfriend made one of my favourite meals 2 nights ago... I made it through the first night, and then last night he prepared the last of it, and I decided I'd have a "little bite" (since it is a rare occasion that he makes it), and the bite would still keep me under the 20g mark. Well... I later went into the kitchen to make some tea and ended up finishing off half a portion of it (putting myself way over the 20g). I don't feel as bad as I did the last time I fell from grace... and this time I'm blaming it on my TOM. I can't seem to satisfy my hunger right now. I've always had a tendency to snack during my TOM, and this time is no different. I picked up some beef jerky knowing this would happen... but my body seems to be craving more comfort type foods right now. The worse of it is chocolate... I bought a lc cavalier bar to have on hand in case of emergency (without it I'd be sure to run across the street to the store which sells only the "real" chocolate bars). I've had it for a few days and haven't cracked it open. That is definitely a good thing since I'm a choco-holic by nature. So... I guess I just wanted to share. I expect that I will probably have at least 1 cheat night every month when my body insists on comfort food, and I'm not beating myself up over it. The body wants what the body wants. I'm just glad that for the most part I'm sticking with this WOL. Hey, any comments or suggestions (even personal experiences) to help me get through my TOM would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/153/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I crave chocolate before TOM also. I had a bad time last month, because I bought 12 carbolite bars & finished them in one weekend. This caused a weight gain of 4 lbs. I am not going to buy them next month. I will just struggle thru it.

I have been on induction since NOVEMBER! I have lost a total of 3 lbs. I just weened my son from breastfeeding 5 days ago. Some people have told me that the body holds on to that last 10lbs when breastfeeding. We will see what happens over the next few weeks.

Don't give up. Just remember, one bite of cheating can bring back ALL those carb cravings that you worked so hard to get over. That one bite you took probably kicked in the cravings causing you to eat more of it later. Don't even take one bite!

Good luck,
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:18

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Hi Crimson - take a look in the recipe section for deserts and have something on hand for when you have a craving - this may sound strange, but I'm not and never have been a huge sweet eater, but now and then I get the urge for something sweet, like a candy -- I eat an orange flavoured chewable Vitamin pill (you can't eat them like candy though) - it doesn't hurt me and I need extra vitamin C anyway because I'm a smoker. Other than that, heavy cream, splenda, whipped together until thick, add some berries and freeze - you have icecream as a treat.

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

And really don't beat yourself up over it at this point...use the TOM week to regroup and figure out how to strictly pick it up again.

Are you taking in too many calories maybe? Portions do count...are you eating the right kinds of carbs...from veggies mainly? How about your water and vitamins?

If all those things are ok, then it's just a matter of time and staying on track. You sound like the right attitude...and I swear, that's the missing ingredient for a lot of people!!

Hang tough!!

#5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:00

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default paying for it too

Thank you, girls. I'm paying for it today... I've felt so sick from the moment I got up this morning. At first I figured it was my TOM making me feel icky.. but now I'm convinced it was last night's binge. I came home early from work to nuture myself a bit... cracked open that lc bar and had a single piece. It was... hmm... not so good, but at the same time a God send. One piece did it.. didn't go back for more. Made some jello for later.. dredding dinner time. I have no appetite.. just really feel like grazing (as long as it's low carbs).

Thank you for that icecream tip! I'll have to try it out (don't feel like moving from my bed today).

DDmariana.. I'm a bit confused. I thought calories was a good thing, and something to aim for? I'll post what I ate yesterday before my slip... to give you can idea of my daily routine. Most of my carbs come from veggies.. and cheese.

morning:
vitamin/mineral supplement
3 slices bacon, 2 eggs scrambled (with omega esssential oils mixed in), slice of cheese (mozz/cheddar)

Lunch:
4oz pork loin (grilled from last night)
1/2c cauliflower, melted butter
slice of marble cheese (mozz/cheddar)

Dinner:
roasted chicken breast (w/skin)
1c brocolli, melted butter

water.. about 12 x 8oz glasses (love my water)

and I was full! Then... the slip.