Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 01:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/215/185
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Sausage & brats? Bad for Atkins diet

Hello, just starting the diet and was going to add Italian Sausage and or breakfast sausage and bratwursts into my menu. Is there anything wrong with these that would not be good? I hope not! Oh also like little smokie sausages also? Please let me know if these are ok on the Atkins diet. I hope so I just bought a bunch!

Thanks for everyone's help!
Corey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 06:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Corey:

All I can say is, check the ingredients. There are so many differences from brand to brand. Make sure there is no wheat or sugar in them. I can only find wheat-free and sugar-free sausages at my health food store. My grocery store looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for them.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 22:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

wcollier is right in that no matter what you eat you have to really look at the labels on all prepared foods.

I have Bob Evans sausage every other morning and it has no sugar or wheat listed. Not sure if its available in Canada. Its a little more expensive than other brands. The only mystery ingredient on the label is spices. On fitday the generic fresh pork sausage has only .13 grams of carb per ounce. You have to be careful of sausages with flavors, especially maple. They have enough carbs to really make a dent in your daily allowance.

I also use a pork bacon made by Gwaltney, which is very good and contains no sugar in its curing, although I believe it has nitrates.

For brats, hotdogs and other specialty sausages, you have to be really careful and look at that label. I have seen some of them bad boys have as much as 5 carbs in a small hotdog.

On fitday.com, smoked sausages have about a half a carb per ounce. Which is okay if you do overdo it. But before you cook it, go back to the store and look at the label, just to make sure.

Happy eating

slowday

Last edited by slowday : Wed, Jan-22-03 at 22:45.