Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 20:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/120/115
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Atkins and Exercise

Greetings: Just started the Atkins diet (12 days). For now it is working for weight loss. In twelve days lost 4 pounds with another 6 to go. Am generally fit and work out either swimming, running or biking 3-4 times a week. However, on this diet I no longer have the energy to work out. My muscles ache. My heart rate is through the roof. It doesn't feel good. Anyone have similar experience and what to expect as I move through the stages of the diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 22:09

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Keri

Let us know what you've been eating and what suplements you take. There are a lot of reasons for this....most feel pretty weak the first few days, but then feel better once the body adjusts.

Post a few days menus and someone might be able to help
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 22:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/120/115
BF:
Progress: 44%

I posted a question about being tired during exercise while on the Atkins diet. Of special concern is my heart rate that, on a slow run, runs about 120. My most recent slow run I had a hard time keeping it under 150 -- and my max is normally about 157.

It was suggested that I posted some sample meals and what I take for supplements. I usually have an egg and some type of sausage or bacon for breakfast. If I'm hungry at noon, I eat some cheese and maybe a hardboiled egg. For dinner, I eat some form of meat, i.e., steak, seafood or chicken with a small salad. Once in a while I'll have an Advantage Bar and have been known to have a cup of SF jello for dessert.

For supplements I take something by Twin Lab called MaxiLife Menopausal Protector. I also take an additional calcium dose.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 23:06

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
If I'm hungry at noon

I think that's probably your problem. You're likely not eating enough. The idea of low carb isnt' to starve. It's not low calorie, especially in the beginning. You should eat at least 3 meals a day, I prefer 4-5 smaller meals. Set a schedule and eat when it's time to eat, hungry or not.

Drinking plenty of water is very important too!

The heatrate problem I'd say is because your body is working harder, trying to exercise without enough calories. If this doesn't clear with increasing your calories, I'd suggest a call to your doc, especially if it's also elevated at rest or you're having palpitations (fluttering or pounding).

Typical day for me:

Breakfast: EAS low carb ready to drink with 1/2 cup egg beaters and 4T flax seed.
Midmorning: small salad or celery with cream cheese or small amount meat/egg with veggie.
Lunch: large salad with chicken, full fat dressing, sometimes a little grated cheese.
Midafternoon: similar to midmorn
Supper: meat/fish/poultry with higher carb veggie like broccoli, brussel sprouts.
(Mind you, breakfast is around 7 or 8 AM, supper isnt' until 8 or 9 PM.)
I also drink at least 3 quarts of water each day.

Supplements: most people suggest at least a good multivit, potassium (recomended dose only!), Calcium and Magnesium.

Try increasing your intake, that might help.

Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 03:21
Registered Member

Plan: Anything that works
Stats: 184/150/117
BF:45%/40%/15%
Progress: 51%
Default Hi There

I had the same problem Keri. I do BFL so I felt pretty fatigued after so many reps on weights that I could lift with ease the week before I did Induction. If you carb up before a workout around 20 grams, this should see you through and you will be back in ketosis later. It worked for me anyway. The Induction phase and 20 grams of carbs is basically for inactive people I feel. You need more if your active, but rather than raise it daily (because some days we don't exercise) it may be best to just anticipate your needs prior to your workout. Take a protein shake 60 mins before hand and make sure it has 20 grams of carbs in approx.

Cheers

Anne-Marie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: General Low-carb
Stats: 146/120/110 Female 5'2"
BF:36%/24%/20%
Progress: 72%

I have been on induction about a week and don't have any problems with having enough energy to work out. However, everyone is different. If I were you, I'd take the advice that some others gave you and up your carbs the morning that you're gonna work out-have a cup of berries or an apple. You are also DEFINITELY not eating enough. If you have very little appetite, think about adding ready-to-drink low-carb shakes by EAS. They aren't very thick, but are tasty and give you vitamins, etc. plus anywhere from 15-20 grams of protein and only 2-4 carbs. I love them, you can get the EAS Myoplex Low-carb at GNC and other vitamin shops and the EAS AdvantEdge carb-control at Walmart, etc. You need to up your calorie intake, or your body will hold on to it's fat stores for dear life!!!!!!!!! I'll bet you would have lost more weight by now if you'd been eating more of the allowed foods.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: Anything that works
Stats: 184/150/117
BF:45%/40%/15%
Progress: 51%
Default Workout's and Atkins

Well BFL is x3 workouts per week and x3 cardio sessions per week and the workouts are 45-60 minutes long. You can be doing up to x12 reps, and if your doing your weights properly, you should be just feeling fatigued as you complete your 12th rep..otherwise your not lifting the right weight. However, on Induction and 20 gram of carbs, I could only get to the thrid set (which is only 8 reps) and I was feeling tremendous fatigue when I technically had another three sets to go of 6 reps,12 reps and 12 reps isolation. (6 sets for each exercise if that is how you describe it). For the average person doing Atkins it is geared for those that have normal day to day activity I think...but if your doing weights seriously and want to do quality weights, you really need to carb up before hand. I did two weight sessions without and I felt definately 20 grams was not enough. I ached to the bone which is definately not healthy... and it was the kind of ache that does not go away after the set some time later. I woke up with the fatigue of it in the mornings.

I plan on doing the Induction again, but next time no weight for a week. Induction every 4 week and then back on maintenance to tone. See how it goes. A bit like professional weight lifters cycling their weights and diet.