Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 23:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/163/133
BF:40%
Progress: 33%
Default Sugar, carbs or both????

Okay, I've been reading a lot of the posts today and I am now confused. I have read Dr. Atkins book at least 4 times and my understanding is that I am supposed to be keeping my carbs low. What is this about sugar???? Isn't the carbs from any sugar in the product listed in the carb count? Are we supposed to track carbs and sugars? And.... What is so bad about peanut butter? It is only 3.08 grams of carbs per teaspoon. I like to have a teaspoon now and then but I include it in my daily carb count. Is this all right?

help!!!! I really want to understand so that I can succeed with this WOL.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 02:06
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sugar is included in total carb. count on labeling. And I have peanut butter almost everyday. They also have peanut butter without added sugar, but the one I tried tasted like S.... The pb that I eat is usually skippy and for two tablespoons in has 5 g impact carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 02:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Isn't the carbs from any sugar in the product listed in the carb count?

Yes. Sugar is part of the total carb count.

Quote:
And.... What is so bad about peanut butter?

Nothing. Some people prefer to use their carbs in different ways, like on vegetables or dairy products. Peanuts are actually a legume, not a nut and some people don't eat legumes. The carb count you've quoted seems pretty high, you may want to check into natural peanut butter that is only made from peanuts. Some people like to avoid any products that contain sugar and others don't mind a trace.

Here's the insiders secret for truly understanding this WOE: It all boils down to personal choice. If you feel great, are happy with your food choices and moving towards your goals, that's all that matters.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/163/133
BF:40%
Progress: 33%

Thank you Alex and Karen. I feel better now. I was really getting concerned because I have read many entries in which people talk about something having low to 0 carbs but containing sugar. I realize that although the label may read 0 carbs, that may actually mean less then one. I've been using fitday for my carb counts on all of food I eat, but I have only been concerned with keeping my total carbs below 20. So, it sounds like this is what I'm supposed to be doing. If I've missed something, please fill me in.

Alex, I went to Mother's in O.C, like you told me a bout a week or so ago. I was able to buy a lot more of the low carb foods there then I have been able to find in the Inland Empire. Thanks for the info! I didn't fine any low carb ice cream though. Was that you that tole me about that? If so, please tell me where to find it again

Thanks again you two!
Sarah
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 21:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
If I've missed something, please fill me in.

It's time to move out of induction. Keeping your carbs below 20 won't help you lose weight any faster. Please don't become carbanoid. Fool around with some new recipes and really start to enjoy all that this WOE has to offer.

With Protein Power, you start at 30 grams a day and stay there until you're close to goal. There is a whole category of "free food" that's all kinds of lettuces, parsley, raddichio, endive and the like. Then you get 30 grams on top of that. I can't say that anyone elses results will be the same, but I lost 50 pounds in first 6 months. It was only when I started second guessing and incorporating things from other plans a little self indulgently that I ran into problems. That included Atkins Induction.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:

Sarah, I've never seen low-carb ice cream. I heard Atkins talking about his company coming out with some though. It's probably out there by someone. Did you happen to come across it since your last post?