Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/165/135
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Blood sugar rises during the night

I have had high blood sugar for a very long time. The Atkins diet has kept my levels within range during the day but I have found that even though I have nothing to eat after the evening meal and drinking only water that during the night my levels rise into the 150 range. during the day they have be running in the 100's. Is anyone else having this problem? can anyone explain this? Any info will be a big help. thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 05:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

This is actually a little bit normal for diabetics. The foods you eat in the evening are not getting digested properly while you sleep, which raises your sugars throughout the night and particularly in the morning. You might try eating earlier and giving yourself at least two hours after your last food before going to bed. Also, mention it to your doctor. There are other methods of dealing with it, as well.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 232/189.8/150 Female 60 inches
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 51%

Same problem here! Just had bloodwork for HA1C and kind of expect it to be around 7 although morning fasting levels are much above that!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 09:29
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ruth

I had my HA1C in November it was a whopping 190... Havent had one sence the Atkins diet but my levels are down just higher in the morning and I eat like at 6pm every day for my last meal and NO snacking after that I only drink water. I have a DR appt. Thursday I will talk to him about it at that time. My fasting level at 14 hours was 140 Doc says it was still to high.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 232/189.8/150 Female 60 inches
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 51%

Gee, K - sounds like we are related!

I have an appointment this Thursday too. Last time the HA1C was 6.9 (124 US). I am hoping it comes out lower this time since I've been low carbing. I suspect the doc will up my metformin from 100mg to 1500mg to try to bring it down. I guess I'll just quit worrying about my high morning readings for a while - 7.9 (142 US) this morning.

We do eat dinner very late - at 8 some nights - so that could be part of the problem with my high morning readings. I've been trying to get the dinner hour moved to 6:30 for years but DH has a real European attitude about dinner! :shrug:
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 17:50
Registered Member

BF:

Ruth

That may be part of the problem your eating late in the evening. My HB will not eat if I dont have it on the table early. I do believe we are very much alike. Good luck with the doc, Will let you know how mine goes as well.

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 04:06

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Ruthxxx,
Well go ahead and feed DH his European style dinner. You can still eat much earlier. However, if he is truly European in manner he will insist you join him. In which case eat 'a bite' of everything instead of a whole meal. You BG will still go up at night, though, but maybe this'll make it not go up too much.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 00:00

Plan: Atkins/Heller's Diabetes
Stats: 202/185/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Unhappy Hormones

K,

I have experienced the same as you for many years now...I know that sounds like another " I know what you are going through" type deal...but I do, as do mnay of these other people. I went to the docotr and reported the same problem as you were having and many of the above reasons are right. But I am going to add one more thing to the list.... HORMONES. It's true a diabetic body will producce a hormone only during the night which will raise the bloodsugar thoughout the night.
I hope this helps out a bit.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 273/260/225
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Me too...

I have been battling a similar problem. I go from a low of 120 in the afternnon after starting around 220 in the morning.

One clue for me..and this is sort gross, thanks for sharing, but one evening after dinner I got sick and lost everything. That has never happened to me before unless I had the flu. Didn't dare eat again until the next day figuring it was the flu.

Well, it wasn't the flu..woke up fine the next morning and my fasting BG was 168!

I also started strenght training the next day and while my fasting BG is still high it is now in the 190 range. So ...at least going in the right direction.

Only problem is I am a night eater...I can eat scraps all day but come dinner, especially after dinner I remain in a snacking state. I am combating this with eating more fat and pork rinds..but that's a different story...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 04:07

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Actually, Scott, some folks have been reporting better a.m. BG's readings by eating fat at night before retiring. Some say a large pat of butter will do it. I haven't tried it yet as my a.m. BG readings don't fluctuate all that much.