Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Induction and gratitude

I just finished my first week of induction and at the end I feel lucky and very grateful

I decided about three months ago to go on the Atkins plan and spent the time reading everything I could find to understand how to work the diet and the science behind it . Most of the time I have been reading posts on this forum, taking notes, and making a list of things to do in preparation.

But also I spent a lot of time lurking here on triple digits to get a kind of sober motivation and for that I'm real grateful.

I started January 5th armed to the teeth with information and expecting the worst in physical side effects. But I guess I'm kind of lucky in that I haven't had headaches, nausea, lightheadedness or even constipation. I'm not sure that I have lost weight, and I won't know until I see the doctor again on the 17th to get the results of my pre-Atkins blood work. But I feel like I have.

And I certainly feel better. For decades I had minor digestion problems. Always thought it was fatty foods or soda or something like that. Turns out to have been the carbs. I used to be plagued by wind, since I was a teenager, and at times it was real embarassing. No more. No heartburn, no reflux, no wind, no cramping and no constipation. For this alone I'll stay low carb.

I have a very long way to go. I figure it may take three years to get there, and I'm only one week into it. But I'm off to a real good start and it feels like a natural way for me to eat. For that I'm lucky and for the motivation and information I find here I have lots of gratitude.

Thanks

slowday

Last edited by slowday : Sun, Jan-12-03 at 20:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 22:26

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Very Cool...

Thank you for posting such a heartfelt and honest note, Slowday...

...and thanks too for coming out of lurking!

You make several good points. Not the least of which is the importance...scratch that...the ABSOLUTE NECESSITY if arming one's elf with as much information as possible, inclulding READING THE BOOK! I've been a member of this forum for over a year, and I can tell you that many people come here looking for a quick fix. It's not uncommon (especially after Dr. A or LCing in general get a lot of media attention) for the forum to be swamped with folks that want to lose weight and want to be told what to eat. It doesn't work that way.

As for the general unpleasantness of Induction, you're darn lucky to have missed out on the headaches and grumpiness. But even better, is that things get better and better the further into this you get. I feel so good that I have difficulty putting it into words. And just a year ago I was at rock bottom, both physically and emotionally.

So a big to you for your positive attitude and for sharing your thoughts in the Triple Digits Club. Those of us that frequent here really do share a special bond.

Best of luck & good health!

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 13:24

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome Aboard!

Sounds like you are off to a terrific start and have a real positive attitude. Like Donald says, this is definitely a way of life and a long term project. That's what I love about the Triple Digits Club. We all have that in common and have had a lot of common experiences. Nothing fast happening around here! But sure as heck - the weight does go!

I have always suffered from terrible digestive troubles. I had irritable bowel syndrome for two years and lost about 75 pounds cause well........nothing stayed in. Everyone said I looked great I guess cause I was actually thin. Of course my skin was white and a lot of my hair fell out. Once the IBS cleared up, I put the weight right back on and then some. I still had a terrible digestive system.

I started this WOL just to lose weight. I didn't know that my digestive problems would literally disappear overnight. It seems that I just don't digest complex carbs at all.

Words cannot express how wonderful I feel. I never have digestive problems - it is as if I just landed in a different body. I keep losing weight. I sure have my moments of frustration and doubt, cause the process is slow and you just have to stick with it day in and day out. But with the help of my many friends and many I haven't met yet, I absolutely know that I will get there.

Welcome! Cindi
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 13:28
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Just read your post and wanted to tell you welcome!! You are going to really enjoy this WOL. You can finally eat when you are hungry without guilt (this is my favorite part).

Can't wait to read about all your successes!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 20:45

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Slowday,
You sound like you have an excellent mindset for your Low Carb journey. Preparation is key. And continual learning and research. That's one of the reasons this forum is so great. Along with the great support. Better digestion is an added plus that I didn't expect either. Before I always seemed to have an upset stomach. I made sure I had Tums or something around to help. Now I never have tummy aches or gas. Well, unless I eat certain artificial sweeteners...like Malitol.

Well, I hope to hear of your success. Victoria