Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 14:39

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default What is that SMELL???

this is a weird thing that I have noticed in the last couple of months.. I have become VERY sensitive to smells, especially FOOD smells! I talked to Zuleikaa in my journal a bit about this, but I am curious as to whether others have experienced it.

I didn't notice for the first few months I was low-carbing, but now I can smell all food within a city block it seems..and the smells are very strong. I went to the movies a few weeks back and had to sit there with my nose covered because I could smell the tacos, the popcorn, the butter, the chocolate.. you get my drift. And it isn't that these smells are making me hungry.. in fact .. they repulse me. Yesterday I walked into the lunch room at work and someone had just made microwave popcorn. YUCK.. I felt like I had been hit in the stomach.

Anyway.. I know it's not the end of the world.. but does anyone else notice this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 15:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: What is that SMELL???

Quote:
Originally posted by Vel
Anyway.. I know it's not the end of the world.. but does anyone else notice this?
Vel, you just brought back a memory! Back in September 01 when I was about 6 weeks into this someone in my office threw a bag of popcorn into the microwave. It had been a common occurance in our office for years, but this person had been on holidays most of the Summer. This was the first time I'd smelled the stuff since I started LC and I was so overwhelmed and nauseated that I had to leave the floor. I used to love that smell!!!

I notice this less and less now, but occasionally something will set me off - usually it's a heavy pasta meal someone is cooking. Yuck!

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Yes. In fact, I'm having to rediscover what some smells are because they are so different from how I smelled them in the past. Popcorn is one of the worst. I smell the burn on it rather than the corn. Sugar, like in the pastry aisle of the store, smells burnt to me. Sometimes it takes me forever to figure out what some smell is, only to realize it was something completely normal - before.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:36

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Unhappy smells

PIZZA Pizza

and pasta, but pizza will make me want to toss my stomach!!

My friends don't understand why I won't go to the Hut with them when Pizza use to be a favorite of mine.

Dee

Last edited by ldypgmr : Sun, Jan-12-03 at 12:37.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:29
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

Many pregnant women are known to get stuffy noses for the course of their pregnancy (including me), and it's related to hormones affecting the mucous membranes. I have to wonder that, since we are on a diet that lowers insulin levels (main hormone in the body) that when all the other hormones get in check, that it would also affect mucous membranes.. but in the opposite way of pregnancy... less mucous membranes, clearer nasal passages = heightened olfactory sensitivity?

I have been a chronic sinus infection kind of gal, often stuffy... but when I started the diet, I noticed that I blow my nose in the morning, and breathe clearly for the rest of the day.

One has to wonder! Until then... get yourself a "comfort smell".... maybe a bottle of your favorite perfume, or a sachet with lavender, even vicks vaporub could do the trick!!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:32

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Oh My Gosh!!

I too have had the someone put popcorn in the microwave and I wanted to toss my cookies event!
And My roommate makes it all the time.. or rather her staff member makes it for her.
I am beginning to hate it!
Nedra
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 20:42
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

It's popcorn for me to. Everytime I go to the movies the smell makes me sick. There is an advantage to this, however. I'm never tempted to buy any!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 22:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Smell and Sight

I have the same thing happen to me with smells. Some things just gross me out. The smell of doughnuts gorsses me out. But I also get grossed out by the sight of foods, too.

For instance, at the movies last week my partner ordered popcorn with butterry stuff. Gawd, I nearly lost it when I saw that stuff being slathered all over that popcorn! And then before the movie began, I could see people eating nachos and hotdogs and chicken nuggets (our theatre has lots of food) and I was totally turned off.

But I also love the smell of foods that are good for me. We went out for steak and mine arrived on a sizzling platter, smothered in butter. That butter was the best I ever smelled (and tasted).

Donald