Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 16:03

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 118/127/127 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking The Fun Has Begun!

Just completed my 1st week at the Australian Institute of Fitness. I am loving it! It is challenging, much info to digest in a relatively short time, but their teaching methods are just the best! If more of these methods were used in school, there would be far more children enjoying their education and staying on to year 12 (senior year/6th form.)
I am a little concerened about my lack of physical strength. I lift weights 3-4 times a week, which is more than most of the girls in my class, yet I am the only one who can't do a full push-up from my toes. I am hoping that eating red meat will help make me stronger.
Speaking of food, yesterday in class, one of the teachers was bribing us with chocolates, to help us remember the info.
Me: Damn it, my carb up was yesterday!
Teach: You only eat carbs once a week?
Me: Yeah.
Teach: That's very bad.
Me: (politely) That's a matter of opinion. Let's not go there.
I was considering my fellow classmates, who I'm sure had better things to do than witness the kind of debate that goes on in the LC War Zone. I was not at all suprised by my teacher's reaction. I have skipped ahead to the nutirtion chapter of the course book. The nutritional reccomendations have not changed at all in the last 14 years! WTF!!!!
I am going to breeze thru that particular section, BTW. I can regurgitate that same old crap until the LC cows come home (and I might even have eaten one by then.) If I had the money, I would personally fly in Gary Taubes to enlighten these wonderful people. It is such a crying shame that a college with so much going for them is still stuck in the nutritional dark ages.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 16:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I think most who've read the book would agree that the only weakness in the book is exercise. I'm hoping he researches the topic and writes on it. Not everybody dpes better on low carb. Not everybody needs it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 17:20
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphoene
I can regurgitate that same old crap until the LC cows come home (and I might even have eaten one by then.)

LOL!

Sorry to hear they're still in the nutritional dark ages. :-(
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 07:50

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
If I had the money, I would personally fly in Gary Taubes to enlighten these wonderful people. It is such a crying shame that a college with so much going for them is still stuck in the nutritional dark ages.

I agree with you that it's pathetic how little recommendations have changed over the years... If you get an assignment to write about nutrition you can quote Taubes GCBC heavily..... as well as the authors HE quotes to make your point scientifically.

Good luck at school and have fun.

Julie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 10:03
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
I am a little concerened about my lack of physical strength. I lift weights 3-4 times a week, which is more than most of the girls in my class, yet I am the only one who can't do a full push-up from my toes.

You lift that much and can't do one pushup? I work with several women. I asked them about pushups. All said they can do 'girl pushups' and all could do regular pushups is they wanted. Hell, my wife who had a radical mastectomy can do regular pushups.

I'm not trying to be mean. My point is the instructors may be right about diet. If you work out that much and can't do a pushup, something is screwy. You're focused on lowcarb eating to the point of presupposing the intructors have less knowledge than you. But my guess is they get results.

It's obvious on this website that many here are type-2 diabetics and to well on low carb. But I'm not type-2 and am realizing I need carb to have quality workouts. I've been carb-loading for a week. Tomorrow I'm running a race. Lately my races have been lousy. If I do better tomorrow it means I'm done with low carb.

You might wanna cut the instructors a little slack. Maybe you don't know it all, maybe they do have info that can help you do a pushup.