Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 21:12

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 371/194/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile I'm getting there!

Hello Fellow low-carbers, I have been following a low carb diet for about 2 years now. When i started, i tipped the scales at 470lbs (and i mean scales, i had to use two), and 2 years later, i am down to 235lbs. I lost most of my weight in the first year, and because of minor health problems, i haven't been able to loose much in my 2nd year. I am glad that i was at least able to maintain my weight loss, and now, in the New Year, i am hoping to start my losing trend again. My orginal goal was to get down to 200lbs, but now that i am close to that, i see i have to loose alot more. Eventually i will have to have surgery to remove some of the extra skin. I exercise everyday to help with the skin tone, but i know it's not enough. Has anyone else had this problem? what weight do you have to get down too before you should consult with a plastic surgeon? This is one thing about my weight loss journy that i am not looking forward too. But when i am all done, i will look back and know it was worth it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 01:39

Plan: CAD/sureslim
Stats: 275/?/190
BF:
Progress: 9%

Wow Canadian T,
You have lost such a lot of weight.
I'm sure with your determination and achievement will get you to your goal.
I also have a lot to lose and am just am starting out. I recently went on a simliar plan in Australia but the carbs must have been too high and nothing happened in 5 weeks..pretty discouraging
We didn't have to count carbs just cut out all starchy ones like bread, pasta, flour products, potatoes, mangos, pineapple. I had blood tests which showed I had a high sensitivity to carbs so I guess it's down to 20 for me.
I will have to have some skin done under my arms I think when I lose weight because 2 years ago I tried a similar program but everything was limited and I was starving. I lost 21 kg (nearly 50lbs) in 3 mths but it was too hard and I could never go that hungry again. Once I started eating carbs again it went back on. I had quite some flab under my arms.

It must feel good to be getting close to your goal.
Have you found it hard?
What are your typical daily meals?
I need someone with experience to help me.
I am very excited at the possiblity of getting slim and not having to go through hell. Life will be good and I'll be able to do all of those active things again and not die of exhaustion.
Hang in there....you'll get there
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 09:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Good Job Mr. "T"!!!

That's fantastic!! It's stories like yours that keeps me (us) going.

Good luck with the rest of your journey! Keep us posted.

BrewWa
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 23:29

BF:

Hey Guys, I sure will keep you posted on my journey to my goal. I still have a long road ahead of me, but i'll get there. Not sure when, but I will. Honestly, even if i don't loose another pound, i am so happy at my weight now. I can do so many things that i couldn't do when i was at my top weight. I enjoy working, shopping, going out for walks, and just being a normal person. I remember going grocery shopping and always looking for the shortest checkout line, cause i couldn't bare to stand for a long time, or drive my car with the steering wheel imbeded in my belly (that hurt ), or always looking for a place to sit that was sturdy (God forbit anyone had whicker furniture). Life is so much better now, i can only imagine how it will be at my goal. Good luck to all my fellow journey members, we can do this together!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 07:20

BF:

I need some help, I am looking for a nice low carb snack, i have tried beef jerky, but i seem to retain water, and i really don't care for pork rinds. I do munch on alot of celery, but would like something alittle different. Is there anything else that i can try? Would love to hear from you.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 09:13

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default snacks

Canadian T

Congratulations on an impressive weight loss. Over half your original weight is gone!

My favorite LC snacks are SF Jello with whipped cream or pecans.

By the way, what part of Ontario do you live in?

If you're going to post regularly on this site, maybe you should start a journal ... and tell us what worked best for you over the past 2 years ... you are truly an inspiration to others!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 09:24
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi and welcome-
I am so happy for you! You have truly come a far way and I have no doubt you will get to where you want to be!

Snacks I like: cut up red bell pepper with cream cheese, microwaved pepperoni chips, pecans or macadamian nuts are low carb and high in fiber
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 09:31

BF:

Hi Slimmin,

Hmmmmm, sugar free jello with whipped cream and peacans, that does sound so yummy. I will give that a try tonight. I have been keeping a personal diary since the day i started my weight loss, and it has helped me a great deal. By reflecting on what i have eaten and my activity levels, i have carved a plan that seems to work for me. I shouldn't say 'seems', it has worked for me. When i get a chance, i sure will start a journal on here, i do hope it will help others. Thanks so much for your response and your encouragement.

p.s. I live in the Niagara Area

Toni
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 09:38

BF:

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the snack ideas, i do love nuts, but my problem is, i know i would get addicted to them. I wouldn't be able to stop at a handful or so. I am so bad I will try the red bell pepper with cream cheese. Well I'm off to do my threadmill, bye for now!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 20:53

BF:

Hi Canadian T,
Sounds like you're going along well.
Did you begin again on induction?

I've finally got my act together and started counting ALL carbs. wasn't counting cheese and cream big mistake.
Oh well since I've started counting properly I'm on Day 4 of 20 carbs and have lost 5 .5 lbs. I'm feeling excited. Reading about your weightloss before gives me hope that it is possible.
Please start up your journal so that we can all encourage each other and we can learn from the 'experienced'

Hang in there.
Yogi
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 22:54

BF:

Hi Yogi
It is very important to be accountable for everything you put into your mouth. It's a shocker when you write everything down and realize you have had more carbs then you really thought you did. When i started my weight loss journy 2 years ago, I began my own personal journal, i record everything i eat and daily stuff that goes on in my life. When i find myself in a stall, i like to review the last few weeks of what i have eaten, and try to figure out if there is something i can change in my diet. I really am considering starting a journal on here, but i will always maintain my own personal journal too
Congrats Yogi on loosing over 5lbs, that's awesome! keep up the good work!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 05:35

BF:

Hi there,
I have been loosing so well over the last few weeks, but i'm up today . By reviewing my personal journal, i know why. I ate a bag of pork rinds and some jerky afew days ago. My system just can't handle anything salty. I drink at least 4, sometimes even 5 litres of water aday, and that extra sodium causes me to retain so much. And figures, yesterday i bought 6 more bags of pork rinds, i will have to hide them, lol. Hopefully in afew days, i will be back on the loosing track again.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 00:21

BF:

Hi Canadian T,
Thanks for your tips.
I'm still hovering around the 5lb mark and I'm on week 2!!! Starrting to get worried I won't lose much more before the 2 weeks is up. This is Day11. I feel like I've lost more but haven't measured myself..too busy at the moment. Should just choose waist, hips and bust and then it won't take long. The weather has been flying up super hot and then cooling down for a day or so and so my fluid retention goes wth it.
Yours sounds like only fluid retention so will come down pretty soon.
I haven't been able to find pork rinds here yet. If they retain fluid I'd better not look any further until the summer is over.
I have been walking a lot each day and working hard physically around the place in my last week of holidays, so you think that would move some more fat. Oh well we'll see tomorrow. Monday is forecast 38deg C (Bout 104F I think) so the water will bloat me again... Oh well no use moaning..somewhere under there the fat is getting less...I can feel it.
I've been tracking and keeping to 20 carbs.
Hang in there..you'll get there
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 06:37

BF:

Hi YogiBear!
You hang in there Yogi. Before i started low carbing, i was doing a low fat and high carb diet and i had lost alittle bit of weight. Then i switched to LC and it took awhile for me to start loosing. But once i started, it was amazing at how quickly the weight was coming off. I think our bodies just has to get used to the LC's before it allows us to start loosing. I bet it goes into shock and says HEY, WHAT"S GOING ON HERE! and it try to compensate for awhile. But eventually, if you keep up what your doing, you will start to drop the weight. The scale is always a nice indicator at how well your doing, but also go by how your feeling. I started having more energy and feeling better, even though the scale wasn't showing any sign. So i just kept up with the plan, and then like a WHOSH, the fat just started to melt off my body. It really is a good idea if you can get your starting measurements and then if you don't have time every week, at least do them once a month. I did my neck, arms, chest, hips, and thighs. I have lost about 100inches so far. When i started my hips where 82 1/2 inches ( i needed 2 measuring tapes). Keep in mind, loosing weight can be done, just be patient and know that your doing the right thing.
Can you do me one favour though, PLEASE SEND SOME OF THE HEAT TO CANADA, it's freezing here. I'll trade ya my pork rinds, lol.

Keep in touch Yogi
Toni
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 17:01

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Toni,
I see that you've got the photos done ! ....wow what a difference...isn't it weird, do you sometimes have to look twice in the mirror cos you don't recognise yourself ??
Promise I'll get mine done soon...
Ali