Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: Cruisin' into Maintenance
Stats: 230/190/190 Male 74 in.
BF:??/18/??
Progress: 100%
Question Too much weight loss on induction???

OK, I'm not complaining, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here. I started induction 12/26/02, so I'm 12 days into it and nearly through the hard part.

I started at 225 lbs and I'm now down to 213. That's an average of 1 lb per day I've been lossing on induction!!!! I see a lot of people who are loosing a lot less during induction (I see people refering to about 10% of their total weight loss goal during induction). I'm eating 15-20g carbs and about 1700 -1900 cals per day (thank heavens for Fitday.com for helping me keep track!!! ).

I feel great, I don't get sugar/carb cravings (only psychological ones anyway), my energy levels are better than they were pre-Atkins and I'm taking my supplements. Is there anything wrong with this kind of rapid weight loss, or should I just be thankful and hope I keep going in the right direction? I know when I start adding carbs back the weight loss will slow down, but is it unhealthy to loose so much in such a short space of time?

My wife is also on the same plan and she has lost 11 lbs in the same amount of time.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 23:32

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

There are those like you who shed weight dramatically during induction. I'm not a health expert, of course, but I don't think it is anything to be too alarmed about. It will slow very soon. Just make sure you are getting your vitamins and minerals (especially calcium, magnesium, and potassium) as your body is releasing these in the urine in an accelerated fashion. Keep yourself very hydrated too.

If it really worries you, up your carbs by eating more salad and see if it slows things down. I think you'll find that after the two weeks, your body will go into a recovery period (sort of a grieving stage ) from losing the weight and slow down.

Hope you're feeling well. I wish you and your wife the best and continued success!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 07:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/263/175
BF:approx. 36%
Progress: 0%

I have been on Atkins for 12 days (started on 12/28) and have lost over 15 pounds. I'm doing things by the book, no cheats. drinking water, and exercising. I feel great and don't worry a bit about dropping weight so quickly! Keep up the good work!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:19
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Don't worry, it'll slow down to a proper pace in a few days.... as a matter of fact, it's quite common to "stall out" completely for a week or two after induction, then the weight loss will start back up again. As long as you're eating enough, taking your supplements, drinking plenty of water and following the plan, you'll be just fine!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

That's exactly what happened to me. I lost 15 lbs in the first week! Then, I gained most of it back and had to lose it all over again, much more slowly. I'm hoping your experience is better, though. It would have been wonderful to lose all that and keep losing!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:41
Registered Member

Plan: Cruisin' into Maintenance
Stats: 230/190/190 Male 74 in.
BF:??/18/??
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the info everyone, it's good to have a 'heads up' that I may stall after induction, but now I know it's a possiblity I'll just have to stick with it and get used to loosing slooooowly rather than the rapid pace so far. I guess it's like the hare and the tortoise, I set off like the hare, but will end up turning into a tortoise soon (figuratively speaking anyway! )

Duncan