Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation I'm Back and really determined!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone. I was on Atkins a few months ago and quit. The first reason is because I got sick. I did'nt feel like cooking for a long time, then the holidays came, and well... it was the time of good cookies and lots of junk. The second was because I was getting VERY discouraged. I had only lost 3 pounds in over a month.
Well, I'm back and determined to do this right. I figure that there must have been a reason I could not lose any more. So I am hoping all of you wonderful people can help.
Using fitday I realize that I must be eating too many calories. So how do I know how many I should be eating. I also know the 70/27/3 ratio. I'm working at night for awhile so it's late when I get up. but here is how I am doing so far.

eggsalad 3 eggs w/ 3 tbl mayo
1 large cheeseburger fried in butter
1 cup cauliflower w/ butter

It's not much food and fitday says I am already up to 1424 calories and my ratio is 84/14/1

So what am I doing wrong? I thought proteins were basically free but they arent because of the calories. I am so very confused. In 2 meals it looks like I am WAY off everything. If anyone can help me I will be eternally grateful!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:33
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

A rule of thumb is 10-12 times your current body weight in calories. In the 180's, you should consume at least 1800 calories. This rule needs to be tweaked for those weighing large amounts. Noone should eat below 1200-1400 depending on your height and basal metabolism.

Go ahead, eat meat!

Have some more veggies to get more towards 20g.

Drink up your water too!

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Beth,

Thank you sooooo much! I guess after years of dieting I can't get the idea out of my head that over 1200 cals is BAD for you. I guess that I am o.k. then as far as that goes. What I am really worried about is my fat. It is supposes to be my "friend" but, I think I am consuming too much at 84% and I don't understand because I have not had that much food. Should I be worried about that at this time?

I am drinking my water. At least 72 ounces, usually 96. That is why I don't understand why my ketosis sticks turn such a dark purple. (from last time I was on Atkins) Everyone says that means dehydration.

Thanks for all the help!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 19:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyg64
I am drinking my water. At least 72 ounces, usually 96. That is why I don't understand why my ketosis sticks turn such a dark purple. (from last time I was on Atkins) Everyone says that means dehydration.

If you're drinking plenty of water, those purple sticks can also just mean that you are eating plenty of fat. The sticks can't distinguish between ketones produced as a result of burning body fat and ketones produced as a result of digesting eaten fat.