Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 21:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/?/140
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy feeling discouraged

Hi folks, I seem to be having some trouble here.I started induction 2 weeks ago when i got a scale and weighed myself I had lost 4 pounds in a week now I have somehow gained it back probably stuff i should not be eating!!! So now I am going back to strict induction and going to start an excercise program.I just hate feeling so discouraged right now but I am determined to lose the weight.Its hard because I have teenage girls who can eat anything and not worry about it I read about cleaning out the cupboards but thats hard to do with them in the house.If anybody can give me some words to help me stay focused and motivated I would be greatful.I really just feel like crying I HATE being fat!!!!!!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Okay, M...get ready to recoup...

First, let me tell you I hate being fat too! I started at 60 pounds more than your starting weight...it's a nightmare. But I am proudly the "turtle" of this board, having done Atkins since April, I fought the same 10 pounds up and down until November. I'm down quite a bit now, and mostly because of stressful events recently, but I learned a lot about what I was doing wrong, and why it wasn't working for me.

First...if you have to, clean out ONE CABINET for the girls to have all their stuff in...you know, all the junk food you don't want to look at. Most of us can just dump it and never have it in the house, but in your case, at least get it in its own spot, and STAY AWAY from it. Give yourself the cleaned out cabinet for your stuff...beef jerky, string cheese, sugar free jello, etc.

Second, Induction is where your body goes into detox and begins to function on a new system of burning FAT instead of CARBS...it is important to not let anything get in the way of these first two weeks, and sometimes longer.

How do you make that enjoyable? Well, you keep your favorite "allowable" foods readily available, chopped, portioned, whatever, so that when YOU want something, you can grab it. I used to make the whole pound of bacon, zip lock it and put it on my salads, in my omelets, etc. Same thing with shredded lettuce...that's my staple now. A bed of lettuce and whatever else is in there, a plop of tuna, egg salad, etc. Make your meals interesting and fun. Portions are not strictly controlled, but I found that I was eating WAY too much. I was trying to get FULL, not just being content with the real foods I was finally allowed to eat.

Plan your meals. You can adjust anything you have to serve the family, just make sure you get something yummy and eat until you're not hungry anymore.

DRINK water until your back teeth float. This makes ALL the difference!

Check in with this forum every day. It is my inspiration and my accountability factor. There are people on here who have great knowledge of how the body works, etc. It's a blessing.

I really believe now that with all the REAL foods LC'ing allows (as opposed to low fat dieting) it can be a very interesting and fun WOE. It's not a diet...it will take some time to become second nature, but in almost a year, I don't have one single idea what a potato tastes like, or a piece of bread...and I could care less. But I am enjoying real butter, mayo, olive oil on my broccoli, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salami, my Gram's cole slaw !

This is how it will get for you...trust me, I'm a carb addict for sure!!I will check back tomorrow...maybe start a journal for yourself, and check out fitday.com and log in your foods. It will tell you exactly how you're doing on calories, fat and carbs, etc.

You can do this!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 07:32

BF:
Progress:

Thanks DD that has helped I will clean out a space in my cupboard
like you said.Its hard to know what I can have as far as snacks can you give me some suggestions? I will not really use them until after I do strict induction again.

THANKS AGAIN

msalanui
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 10:57

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

First of all, I want to wish you good luck on this effort. It is quite an adjustment at first but once you get used to it, it seems strange that people eat all the junk. Now, as for snacks - one of my favorite subjects - jerky is great (I now have a supply of venison jerky because of DH's successful hunting trip), some folks like pork rinds (there are even favored kinds), raw veggies always work, deviled eggs, or hardboiled eggs, someone already mentioned string cheese, olives, nuts (check the Atkins book on these), celery and cream cheese. There's a few. Got to stop now because it's all sounding good! Have fun -- this is an adventure.

Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 12:11
Registered Member

M, I usually keep salami rolled up with cream cheese in a little baggie during induction...even though it's a processed meat, I enjoy it. I also like to keep tuna salad made, egg salad sometimes...these are things that you can open the fridge and grab a spoonful just to cut the desire.

I'm not really a snack person, so the jerky and pork rinds don't do anything for me, but I can tell you NOT to get hooked on the nuts!! They are bad news...and you can only eat a few before they bust the limit!

I do like to make rich foods though...today I'm going to make a cauliflour cassarole with sour cream, cheddar cheese, butter, chives, etc. and bake it until soft and yummy. I will have a little plate of this through the day and maybe freeze the rest.

It's all about adjustment and making things work for you. Eat your fats with your protein...butter in the eggs, (not so much cheese), dressing on the salad, etc. This keeps the tummy satisfied and the hunger down.

Good luck. Oh, a little SF jello is okay during induction, but if you can help it at all...I wouldn't even get the tongue used to sweet things right now! Just let your body and taste buds used to being satisfied with savory flavors, not sugary ones. It really helps to break the cravings.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 07:40

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the suggestions I will try some of those for sure.I will also get some of the reciepes off the site to try and mix things up a bit.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 08:41

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Cool

Ms,

Your going to be successful no doubt. Your already in your way because you WANT to do it!! NOW make it happen!! Noone just does it and NEVER fails or falls off the wagon a little. Hey, it ONLY makes you human!!

I have been on Atkins for quite some time, and am on my way back to the induction phase as of tomorrow AM!!

It is tough to have the willpower and determination. Especially when the people around you seem to do what they want, eat what they want and they have it all. BUT your working hard to get where you want and need to be, so keep up the good work!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 15:12

BF:
Progress:

Thanks UA girl it gets real tough but everybodies kind words sure do help thank god for this website
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 16:41
Registered Member

Hey, UA Girl...you've done a FABULOUS job!!!

Your stats are really impressive and I hope you have the most successful year ahead! Isn't is GREAT to change your body so drastically and get control of your life?

I'm down from my highest (260) to 170...I can't believe what I've missed all those years!! When you think of it that way, it's hard to "miss" the food...who CARES???

And M...this WOE is not difficult at all...only the beginning where you have to make the changes and adjustments. It gets easy and becomes second nature...stay the course. We're here for you...Success is on the way. You'll be amazed!

#10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 11:43

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

I agree that success is on it's way. And in due time you'll get the "fever", you'll condition yourself to not miss the food once you see the changes.

Hey noone said it was easy, if it were easy the whole world would be thin.

I think the worst part is seeing people eat and eat and drink and be merry and they stay 120 lbs. Ha Ha Ha!! THAT gets frustrating.

Support is the key. You need to support yourself in your decision, and don't be afraid to lean on others as well. Like us.

Ms, have you read Dr. Atkins' book? The whole thing? You may want to if you haven't. It gives you quite a burst of motivation.

Thank you DD for the compliments. There are no better motivation than results.

I found myself falling off the wagon a little and slipping, so I decided to come here and hang in there through the tough times with everyone else. Thanks everyone!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 21:52

BF:
Progress:

Thanks UAgirl I did read the book but I need to by it I took it out at the library and noe I want to get it so I can go back to it for advice and motivation.I have come to the conclusion that I want this bad enough that I willdo what I need to to get there.I have also started excercising. and I will use the forum for support.

THANKS AGAIN

M