Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 15:52

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default first day on atkins (bad idea! no stores are open!!). Need suggestions & advice!

Well, I started atkins today. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea, all the stores are closed! Looks like i'm stuck with what's in the house... the only place around here open is 7-eleven. So i'm looking for suggestions. Any good tips for foods I can get at 7-eleven for my induction? This is my first day and all i've had to eat is 5 large eggs & lots of water, lol. I woke up at about 9:00am and it's 2:00pm now and i'm not really hungry, but plan to eat a big dinner. I also am wondering, I have some chicken wings in the house which don't look too bad. Here is the screenshot of the ingredients. Would it be ok to eat a few of these with dinner?(maybe 16 or so) on induction? Not sure cause of the sugar in the ingredients.

http://www.dejaray.com/atkins/chickenwings.gif

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ad
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 16:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

Tough break! It really pays to stock up on the legal foods before starting... but sounds like you are in a pickle.

I would stay away from those chicken wings... has corn starch and some other no no's in it... not to mention all those preservatives YUCK! Best choices are WHOLE foods. There is NO grocery stores open? That is odd - most holidays eXCEPT Christmas... at least one of our grocery stores are open.

Anyway, if 7 - eleven is your only answer for today - I would look for the following:

check out their canned foods (usually have a few shelves of modest food selections.... see if they have some tins of Chicken or tuna... and a container of mayo. Grab a can of olives, dill pickles or artichoke hearts or any other canned veggie that is legal on the induction list. Then go home and mix up a tuna or chicken salad - using the drained meat, the mayo to taste, some chopped onion or celery if you have some at home, and then serve it with some crunchy dill pickles on the side (be sure dill and not sweet). Not the BEST dinner ... but given your pinch it works and is much better for you than those wings.

Also boil some eggs and use the mayo and some mustard to make yourself some deviled eggs.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 16:10

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I forgot to add... GO SHOPPING TOMORROW!! Shop the outer perimeters of the store... meat, veggies, and dairy! Set yourself up for a week of good eating.

Wishing you success.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 16:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you can find a convenience store open, get some veggies while you're there, too. Even canned will do in a pinch. You could also look for some cheese or cream cheese and I'll echo what DoubleD said...go shopping tomorrow and get stocked up so you won't be caught unprepared again. Meats, eggs, cheese, cream & veggies.

A few of the chicken wings might be okay, but at close to 1 gram of carb each, I'd keep it to just a few (like maybe 3 or 4 as an appetizer).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Pizza?

Maybe you could order a pizza with no sauce and just eat the top!

Heather
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 242/204/142 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm sorry, but pizza is out of the question!
If you're just starting out, you should avoid any of the items that are "no no's", especially pizza! (I've never been able to eat just the topping of pizza! ) Order a salad from the pizza place instead and get full fat dressing. Ranch or caesar usually has the lowest carb count.

Hang in there! You'll make it!

Helena
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 274/267/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Hi - I restarted Jan 1 also

I would suggest cream cheese, deli turkey (check carb content), tuna fish w/mayo, eggs, bacon, pickles, frozen broccoli

Gail
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 19:37
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Ad...

Did you make it through New Years??? So, how's it going? I'm assuming you got some grocery shopping done.

Let us know how you're doing.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 20:46

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

yeah I made it through, but im doing bad. Mainly cause I am too afraid to eat anything. Dr. Atkins book has freaked me. Like, am I alowd to eat Cajun Seasoning? Ingredients says it has sugar in it and dr atkins says no spices or seasonings with added sugar. Does this mean it has ADDED sugar, or is that normal sugar? I just ate some on my chicken, so whatever. But basically im freaked about what I can eat and im just gonna end up probably eating all eggs and chicken
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 21:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Try not to be too freaked. In the real world, it's nearly impossible to avoid all sugar. The best you can do is keep it to a bare minimum. Try to find out how many grams of sugar in in the product and base your decision on whether to eat it or not on that. For me, as long as sugar is near the bottom of the ingredients list and the carb count is fairly low per serving I don't sweat it too much; I just count the carbs in my daily allowance.
You might even be able to come up with your own Cajun seasoning if you can get your hands on a Cajun cookbook. That way, you'd know exactly what was in it. I've done that with Mexican seasoning so that I don't have to worry about all the carbs in those taco seasoning packets. It's generally cheaper that way, too.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 23:24
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Ad,

get yourself a head of lettuce and chop it all up and store in a ziplock bag...same with some cucumber, fresh broccoli and cauliflour...

You can keep some salami and cream cheese rolled up for snacks, deviled eggs, sliced turkey, celery stix...all ready to just grab!

I used to fry the whole pound of bacon and ziplock it, then crush one or two slices into my salad with some shredded cheese, sliced chicken, blue cheese...

Don't get bored on this diet!! It's a DREAM!!!

I made a yummy cassarole the other day...cook some cauliflour until soft, mix in a bunch of sour cream, butter, chives, shredded cheese, bacon bits...mmmm it's like a baked potato treat. You can have this as your veggie, or a bit of it with a salad and some steak or chicken.

The spices are incidental...just keep up the water and your proteins and fats and you will see some results shortly.

Hang on...