Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 15:40

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%
Default What's so great about coconut oil?

why is coconut oil preferred over other "healthy" oils, like olive? It seems coconut oil is all people use on here... thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 16:23

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
why is coconut oil preferred over other "healthy" oils, like olive? It seems coconut oil is all people use on here... thanks!

I only use Olive Oil (EVOO) .. I had a horrible reaction to coconut oil - caused me headaches and vomiting took me a while to trace the reason of my headaches, but finally realised it was coconut oil.

I don't believe any oil has magic in it to make you lose weight faster , however some people feel more energetic on coconut oil.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 16:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

oh btw: there are a lot of people who posts loads of websites stating benefits of coconut oil, however if you google for benefits of Olive Oil, you'll see that the benefits stated for EVOO are also exactly the same as coconut oil. (prevent cancer, control blood sugar, control blood pressure, antioxidant, lessens asthma and arthritis, helps maintain lower weight etc etc...)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 16:37

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I use both, but coconut oil tastes MUCH better with chocolate! (as in coconut oil bark)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 16:45

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%

oh , okay, just some peeople weresaying they felt so FULL on coconut oil and i couldn't picture that with olive oil, for myself, so i thought there must be some magic, satiety factor in coconut oil
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 16:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

What's unhealthy about coconut oil?
I use a variety of oils; olive, peanut, coconut and even...gasp...lard.
IMO, the only unhealthy fat is a transfat.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I believe the "magic" of feeling full is the fact that the coconut oil is highly saturated, the olive oil is mono-unsaturated. I don't really have anything to back that up...just something I've noticed. Must be something about how my body handles the 2 fats.

I don't get any satiety whatsoever from olive oil--in fact I get hungry again quickly after eating it as my main source of fat in a meal. The same amount of fat as a saturated fat (butter, cream, lard) will hold me for hours.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 19:17
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

MCT's (medium chain triglycerides) in CO or palm oil are oxidized directly by the liver similar to sugar without the insulin response. I keep a jar on top of the computer so it stays soft-- I put it on my skin daily. I find it can help with cold or dry feet and hands in winter.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 19:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/162/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:plenty
Progress: 29%

I just tried it tonight - fried some cabbage and onions in it. Yumm - will have to see if I notice a difference.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 21:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
I keep a jar on top of the computer so it stays soft-- I put it on my skin daily. I find it can help with cold or dry feet and hands in winter.

It makes good soap, too.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 23:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
oh btw: there are a lot of people who posts loads of websites stating benefits of coconut oil, however if you google for benefits of Olive Oil, you'll see that the benefits stated for EVOO are also exactly the same as coconut oil. (prevent cancer, control blood sugar, control blood pressure, antioxidant, lessens asthma and arthritis, helps maintain lower weight etc etc...)

I use both olive oil and coconut oil and I have not seen the results in olive oil that I get in coconut oil and coconut oil has a pleasant flavor.This is the website I like to use on CO. But, I began learning about coconut oil from a low carb magazine.
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 23:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It seems to perk me up pretty nicely when I'm fatigued or feeling blah. it also seems to raise my body temperature.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-07, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/138/125 Female 5'6"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
I only use Olive Oil (EVOO) .. I had a horrible reaction to coconut oil - caused me headaches and vomiting took me a while to trace the reason of my headaches, but finally realised it was coconut oil.

I don't believe any oil has magic in it to make you lose weight faster , however some people feel more energetic on coconut oil.

I must be more like you. I finally bought the coconut oil this week. I ate some yesterday, but I didn't really notice anything different. Then, I put it on my feet for my dry skin and they had a bad reaction... swelled up, got itchy and red and blotchy... freaky!

After reading your post, I realized that I also had a headache yesterday and I never get headaches, so I'm thinking now, it might have been from eating the coconut oil. I think I'll stay away from the stuff for now.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-07, 09:06
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I felt ill the first time I cooked with the CO, now it doesn't bother me. When I put it on my knees last Summer they peeled for about a week-- now all that old dead dry skin is gone. No more cracking or itching. I am using it on my elbows now
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-07, 09:15
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

and...coconut oil contains lauric acid--a natural antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. If you eat too much at one time from the start, you may experience what is called a herxheimer reaction--basically a yeast bacterial die off--could be why many experiece diarrhea, headache, etc. I use about a 1 tsp in my coffee every morning and cook with it when it right for a recipe. I haven't had a cold or flu in over 3 years--and trust me, seeing patients all the time, I encounter every bug known to man