Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 147/142.5/115
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question How will I stick to it this time?

I joined this site quite a while ago and was excited to find such a forum. But it wasn't long before I wasn't even trying to stay on the plan. I can't figure myself - I feel great on it, lose 5 pounds or so, feel like I could do it forever, and find myself right back where I started, eating all the carbs I want every day. I need a buddy. I have 25 to 30 pounds to lose and I can't stand the thought of going through another summer with it hanging out of my bathing suit. I want to start again, but I have started and failed so many times that I lose the desire to try . . . just to fail again. For those of you who have stuck to this and lost so much weight, I admire; but do any of you have children? I have three children and there are carbs in the house for them. Hoping to hear from a friend -
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have a lot more than you to lose and my motivation is me!!! I need to do this for me. I'm sick and tired of being fat and wearing shorts and t shirts at the beach and not being able to tuck a shirt in.

I have 3 kids and a husband with an extremely high metabolism (not an ounce of fat on him) so far my kids have inherited his build. I actually have alot of carbs in the house. I do make some changes like buying ice cream that they like but I won't eat, cookies that I won''t eat. etc...

You will find that after 4-5 days LCing you will start to not crave as many sweets and you won't go to pick up the snack that you can't have. Very important to have food you can eat in the house for the times that the munchies do set in.

It gets easier over time, I've only been doing it for 9 weeks, so far cheat free that includes Halloween, Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks of Christmas. I have lost 26 lbs so far, just a start but it is pretty easy once you get into it.

Good Luck!!!!!

Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 09:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi there, b. sparky!

I have two girls age 7 and 8 and at this point, they pretty much eat like I do for breakfast and dinner anyway. It never hurts to cut back on the amount of sugars and starches our kids eat and point them in the direction of more veggies, cheeses and other healthier snacks. It helps that they both love most veggies and cheeses. After doing this for going on 2 years, their carby snacks don't even really appeal to me anymore.
Sticking with it is mostly persistence. If you find yourself falling off the wagon for a meal, get right back on track again with the next meal; don't wait until the next day or week thinking "I already blew it, I might as well just enjoy myself for the day/week". We all blow it from time to time; those that are successful pick themselves up, dust themselves off and get right back to it again when they do.
If you're looking for a buddy, you can check the "Buddy Up" section in the journals area; it helps to have one or two people to keep you accountable. Keep trying...you can do this!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 11:45
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback . . .

Thanks for chatting. I do sound whiny, I know. I guess I really need to learn how to get back up quickly. I do a really strict plan for a while, then slowly get off track. It isn't usually a big binge, but a little carb at a time that throws me because I think I can do it - but it takes me all the back. Then I am so discouraged it takes me forever to start over. The other trap that I struggle with is "forever" . . . i.e. how can I go forever without orange juice or my favorite multigrain, high fiber cereall? Once I am de-carbed, I don't crave it at all . . . but getting started is a challenge because of that kind of thinking, you know? I am willing to do less carbs with my kids, and need to purpose to do less of the things I love for them (my favorite chips, cookies, etc.) Correspondence helps - I know I need to see results and I'll be more motivated . . .
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 12:04

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default I agree, Sparky

Getting "restarted" is the biggest problem for me too!

I have only one big kid (55 yrs old) and all the carbs I have in the house are bad for me. I know that after the first few days I will be fine, but it is getting through those first days with all this crap (I mean carb) in the house that gets me!

He is the original cookie monster, junk food junkie rolled into one...and not an ounce of fat. Not even around his heart. Which is good for him...not so good for me.

I have seriously considered going away for a few days, just so I can get away from all this food and get started on my diet! Pathetic isn't it?!

anyway, I was supposed to start the day after Christmas. I did. The day after the day after Christmas, I ended.

So, now I am supposed to start the day after New Years. We'll see.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 12:07

Default addendum....

of course, according to my non-believer husband, if I had just been exercising this whole year that I have been trying to start back on low-carbing, I wouldn't need low carb.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 12:31
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hello B...

I wanted to respond to your statement about "never" having another bowl of cereal and doing without OJ "forever"... yes, you're right about that kind of thinking making this WOE very difficult. And I can relate. It wasn't until I started getting into LC'ing as a permanent decision that my thinking really changed.

First of all, you don't have THAT much to lose...It's only the induction that is sto strict, and that is for a good reason. Your body will go through a detox and will begin to metabolize in a different way...will start to burn FAT in the absence of CARBS.

But when you get going, there are plenty of foods that you can add in slowly, in small portions just to see what they do to you. If something doesn't bother you one way or another, then YOU are the one who makes that decision.

For example, I NEVER gave up my coffee, and decided from the beginning that if it really slowed me down, so be it. There are some things I'm not willing to adjust . Eventually, when you get into maintenance, you can have your OJ and see whether it is a problem for you... you can enjoy a small bowl of cereal and see if you gain. That's where this WOE ends up eventually. You don't cut out major food groups forever as I used to think.

For now, start strong and strict so your body can get used to the plan. Stock your house with eggs, cheese, meats, salad stuff, dressings, etc. You can have WONDERFUL foods on this plan. REAL foods...there's nothing to miss, when you get on it and it becomes so satisfying.

I baked thousands of Christmas cookies this year and never even licked my fingers! Never tried even ONE of my favorite kind...I looked at them and the temptation just wasn't there. It's not willpower, it's that my tastes have changed, and my priorities as well.

Sorry this is so long...Good luck!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 13:07
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb quietone

I have a skinny husband, too! And his favorite food is french fries! I was a skinny healthnut when I married him, but I have obviously conformed. The good thing is that I can fix foods we can both eat on this plan, which is not so with lowfat. He needs the protein, and then I just don't eat the potato (sometimes). But I would like to start over with you. We are going to New Year's Eve and New Year's Day parties, so January 2 works well for me too. What do you say? We can detox together. I really want to do this because there is heart disease and cancer in my history. People keep saying, well, you don't have that much to lose. But I might as well if I never lose it and gain like I have been the past few years. I keep telling myself I can't stay here, but then buy bigger clothes, time goes by, and I haven't succeeded. I really want to!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 14:34

Default Sure, sparky!

Let's do it together!

What's your plan of action? Mine is to go ahead with Atkins.

After I have hit ketosis, I will start weight training.

Do you have any goals? Or are you just taking it as it comes?

Oh, yes, I was on a modified low carb and the thinnest ever in my adult life when I met/married my husband. I also have heart disease on one side of my family. I know I am playing with fire, yet that doesn't seem to be enough motivation to stay healthy without yo-yoing.

Last edited by quietone : Mon, Dec-30-02 at 14:36.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 15:41
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Here's my goals, quietone

I usually do Protein Power, which basically cuts carbs but allows fruits and veggies, which gives me the balance I need. I don't do much dairy, either, because doesn't agree with me. Anyway, it takes about 4 to 5 days of just protein and greens to detox. Then I add back my allowed fruits and veggies. Anyway, along with that I swim 3 to 4 days a week. If you are game for Jan. 2, then i'm with you! So let's chat! Good to have a buddy!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:21

Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I just thought I'd put in my own strategy...I to have a husband who is a carb nut and not an ounce of fat, who said every time I'm tired, depressed, or anything else, that if I just did some exercise once in a while, I'd lose weight/be happy/energized/etc., and all the while, I was doing severe low fat/high carb and EXERCISING SIX DAYS A WEEK FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR!!

Anyway, I slowed down my exercise and started LCing in Feb. and it solved all of my problems that I complained about, and some that I didn't realize I had! Now, I'm the one listening to him complain about being hungry an hour after his huge plate of pasta and saying, well if you'd just stop your carb feasting and eat some meat......

Well, my main point was about the incentive. I weight lift on M-W-F and cardio train T-Th. After doing this at 9:00 in the morning, I don't want to blow the effects of my good work. By the way, my kids are 10, 7, and 4, and I homeschool all of them, so you can't say that they keep you from your exercise routine! My family knows that my exercise time is sacred. I have them play computer and watch TV for the hour that I do my training. Trust me, their brains will not rot and they learn respect for your private time, which, no matter when and what you are doing, you should have anyway! Trust me, you'll feel better, and who wants to work up a sweat and feel the fat and water pouring off and the muscles building and then ruin all of that for a piece of what? Cake? Candy? You can have it anytime, plan it into a CAD meal if you can't deal with the separation. I, too, do CAD when I want to have a meal in particular, but I don't let it snowball into a week or monthlong binge.

Good luck on your choices! Amber
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:21
Registered Member

Stats: 144/142/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Cool reply to your request

I have absolutely the same goals as you it seems. I am wanting to lose at least 25 pounds before the summer. This is my second go at Adkins. I am doing much better this time. Please let me know if you would like to buddy up with me for support. I also have children. I have two boys 5 and 9. I never in my life have weighed this much and it makes me sick and sad.
Hollar at me sometime.
Bamalady74
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 22:32

Plan: Atkin's/PP
Stats: 156/146/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up Low carb buddy

Hey b.sparky!

I'm in the same boat as you. I just had to re-register on this site because it's been so long since I've visited.

I also get on a roll for a while and feel fabulous. I look better, feel better, sleep better, better mood and somehow I start letting the carbs in a little at a time and then I've just blown it! The longest I've gone is 86 days (just 4 days shy of my 90 day goal - I've already psycho-analyzed that one to death)

Well, I'm starting again. Doing the ole January 1st thing and was happy to see your post. I'd love to have someone to chat with who has similar goals, height, weight, etc.

I need motivation to add exercise to my low-carbing. LC'ing does wonders for me I can't even imagine how much better I'd be if I could stick with an exercise routine.

Also......I have 2 kids, almost 4 and 5 1/2yrs, AND a tall, skinny husband....Sounds like a match. Also, Bamalady, AmberlinIN, and quietone....Let's get it going so we don't have to dread another summer

Shaneice
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 22:57

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 213/175/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default buddy up!

I will say that I am here as your buddy! I feel the same way you do as far as getting bummed about what I cannot eat etc....but when I eat this way I feel sooo much better than I ever do otherwise. It is so strange why I go back and forth when I like myself so much better on this plan. Iknow I have deep rooted issues as to why I don't want to tell myself no....I always feel I am depriving myself when I know better on this plan because I get to eat such delicious, filling foods that leave me with no cravings. I am starting officially on Jan 2nd also, we have one more party to attend so after that I am going to take this seriously. Good luck to you and don't give up, you and others are an encouragement to so many just knowing we are in the same boat. Let's do it this time!
Happy New Year to you all,
Jessica Holmes
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 23:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 213/175/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Failed to mention, I have a husband who is from an entire family of big eating, skinny people.....who don't really do much in the way of exercise....they just all remain thin.....frustrating when I gain weight sooo easily. Well, just wanted to share that.....good idea someone mentioned buying cookies and icecream that you do not like. I think I will do that for sure!
Take care,
jessica