Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 11:26

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
If only it were that simple, obesity would be non-existent.

Here is a simple question - if it were truly just a matter of calories in calories out, why would quality even matter? What makes one type of calorie different than another?

I was just going to make the same point. If it were as easy as eating less calories than one burns each day, we'd all lose weight very easy. Appearantly, your explanation of why it's not working is that the millions of people in the world who tried dieting this way were miscalculating their calories or can't use a calculator properly?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 11:38
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
[/B]

And I'm still trying.

LOL - me too! Damn it's hard to eat more calories than needed when it has to come from fat......!!!!! Slowly but surely I'm making my way through the heavy cream, coconut oil and butter and still down four pounds since starting this little experiment last week!

Gee, I thought eating more calories than I needed would mean I gain weight and here I am, 11-days into this, four pounds lighter after eating more calories than I need.....what's up with that?

I still gotta pop over and say hi at the bus.....!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 12:07

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

finally out from under the Kimkins mentality... I've now been steadily eating way over my calorie limit.

I'm steadily losing, too.
(take that Jillian from Biggest Loser)
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 12:28
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
finally out from under the Kimkins mentality... I've now been steadily eating way over my calorie limit.

I'm steadily losing, too.
(take that Jillian from Biggest Loser)

Yeah you! Congratulations!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 12:47

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
LOL - me too! Damn it's hard to eat more calories than needed when it has to come from fat......!!!!! Slowly but surely I'm making my way through the heavy cream, coconut oil and butter and still down four pounds since starting this little experiment last week!

Gee, I thought eating more calories than I needed would mean I gain weight and here I am, 11-days into this, four pounds lighter after eating more calories than I need.....what's up with that?

I still gotta pop over and say hi at the bus.....!

It is hard, isn't it Regina? Without the heavy whipping cream and the butter, there is no way I could do it. Not to this extent, anyways. What is your current carb level?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 12:58
Contrarian

Quote:
It is hard, isn't it Regina? Without the heavy whipping cream and the butter, there is no way I could do it. Not to this extent, anyways. What is your current carb level?

Under 40g....averaging around 32g a day.....I'd go total zero (well except for eggs, cheese and heavy cream of course) except I value my veggies!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 13:05

Quote:
Under 40g....averaging around 32g a day.....I'd go total zero (well except for eggs, cheese and heavy cream of course) except I value my veggies!

Ok, interesting. I'm doing almost exactly the same as you, minus the veggies. Although I think I'm overdoing my calories by more than you are, though. I'm doing about 2000 extra per day. It will be interesting to see if we get the same results. I'm doing this for 30 days. How about you?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 13:06

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I mention JL and BAM! Here he is. Were your ears buzzing?

Quote:
Appearantly, your explanation of why it's not working is that the millions of people in the world who tried dieting this way were miscalculating their calories or can't use a calculator properly?

Well, I did go to public school. :wink:

Tell you what Dane, read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and then I would be happy to start a new thread where calories in/calories out is discussed.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 13:08
Contrarian

Quote:
Ok, interesting. I'm doing almost exactly the same as you, minus the veggies. Although I think I'm overdoing my calories by more than you are, though. I'm doing about 2000 extra per day. It will be interesting to see if we get the same results. I'm doing this for 30 days. How about you?

30 days here too....have you lost any weight?

I upped my protein today because I'm worrying that maybe my weight loss isn't a good thing - what if it's LBM and not fat? I noticed my protein intake had dipped below what I usually eat with more carbs and less calories, so I just made an adjustment to cover gluconeogenesis and spare LBM since the weight loss has me wondering if it's due to less protein? (not much less mind you, but i'm not habitually in ketosis anymore and now I am)
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 13:12

Quote:
30 days here too....have you lost any weight?

I upped my protein today because I'm worrying that maybe my weight loss isn't a good thing - what if it's LBM and not fat? I noticed my protein intake had dipped below what I usually eat with more carbs and less calories, so I just made an adjustment to cover gluconeogenesis and spare LBM since the weight loss has me wondering if it's due to less protein? (not much less mind you, but i'm not habitually in ketosis anymore and now I am)

I have not lost any weight. But I have not gained, either. Yes, probably a good idea to up your protein just a bit.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I mention JL and BAM! Here he is. Were your ears buzzing?

Well, I did go to public school. :wink:

Tell you what Dane, read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and then I would be happy to start a new thread where calories in/calories out is discussed.

As a matter of fact, they were buzzing. I was thinking it was some sort of inner ear disorder.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 07:51
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 170/168/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hey, I am liking all this feedback. I also think that cals have different constituents. When I did the diabetic diet 1200 cals a day I lost a pound in a week and 2 the next. On low carb 1200 or there abouts, I lost 10 in the first 2 weeks.

Rightnow re:
(There are also BTW a few studies that make clear that larger calorie numbers actually resulted in more weight loss than lower (when the eating plan was essentially highfat/lowcarb).)

I rmember the days of Susan Powter who promoted breathing, moving and eating alot of food. I have since read that more good calories are better than less but I have to say, Years of being battered on the head about calories and amounts of food and diets, It is psychologically a hard thing to do, eat more and believe it is ok. Does anyone else have that experience?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 07:57

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

oh man, I did the Susan Powter thing... one of my 100-pound losses. I consumed vast quantities of pasta with ABSOLUTELY no fat at all in my diet... NOTHING! I'd eat pasta with just tomatoes and veggies. I'd eat dry popcorn, veggies galore. I cooked stir fries only with water... it was INSANE (and she thinks it's stop the insanity, please).
I ended up with huge gallbladder issues, which forced me to be even more afraid of fat. I got really skinny... really skinny and incredibly sick.
Then one day I had a lick of an ice cream and it didn't send me into the hospital (i didn't have my gallbladder out). So I added back more fats...

and because the fats I added were on top of the carbs... ya, all the weight came back.

At least on low carb I don't get sick! I get well.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 12:13

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I lost 60 lbs starving on 1100-1200 cals/day with only 10% fat (~70% carbs & ~20% protein) and 10 hrs of frantic Powteresque exercise a week. I gained it all back of course because living like that FOREVER was impossible.

But 10 years later I was able to lose the same 60 lbs at the same rate while luxuriating on 1750-2000 cals/day of mostly fat (70% fat, ~5% carbs, ~25% protein) and only an hour of exercise per week. I have maintained the loss for 19 months - a first for me in 38 years of dieting. Living like this forever is easy.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 13:28

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

You got it Diedra!!

(And congrats by the way )