Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156,2/151,8/120
BF:
Progress:
Smile An American in London,UK

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and have been following Atkins for a little over 2 weeks now.
If truth be known, I 'd have to say that I am a bit dissapointed with the results thus far.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
Issues/Notes thus far:

1.Ketone strips did not show a reaction (light to moderate) until I kept my carbs to 10grams or below per day

2.Weight loss has been minimal

3. As soon as I increase the amount of water I am drinking, all evidence on ketone strips dissapear

4.In general I have tried to keep my calories between 1200 and 1600 per day with average carbs around 10-12.

5.I do 30 minutes of (fast walking, bicycle or cross trainer) exercise 4-5 weekly.

6.My TOM arrived at the start of the 2nd week and just finshed yesterday. During this time the color on the ketone strips dissapeared.

7.My energy levels are good and I have very little cravings.

8.The majority of my carb consumption comes from decaf coffee and cream (lo carb cream .25 per spoon)

9.Along with water, I drink 3-4 large mugs of tea per day. About 1/2 of these mugs are sweetened with KETO sweetener (acesulfame potassium). I have also started adding some KETO Carb Cooler to my water. This is also sweetened with acesulfame potassium.

10. On the 23rd,24th and 25th of December I had 2 100gr Carbolite Caramel Cluster bars. Afterwhich, I experienced a sort of "rush" with a mild headache for about 30 minutes. I also experienced the "laxative" effects as stated on the package.

11. Since the 26th I have resumed strict carb counts (10 or less), stopped eating the Carbolite bars and increased my water intake to 6-8 liters per day. I have yet to see the color on the ketone strips reappear.

Anyone with some insight?
All feedback is much appreciated.

xx
ClarissaWo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 210/191/155
BF:
Progress: 35%

hi ClarissaWO

It sounds like you may be consuming too much coffee and tea. The caffiene(sp) may be holding you back.(I think it retains water.) Also, are you consuming any vegies, your body needs that fiber, are you constipated at all? Are you checking your urin for ketones at the same time every day? I was checking mine everytime I went to the bathroom. Wrong!! I was going crazy sometimes I would register and sometimes I wouldn't. The book says check it once daily and at the same time. If your energy levels are good and you are having little cravings, I would say keep with it and the weight loss will eventually register. Did you take you measurements before you started. perhaps you are loseing more inches then lbs.
Good Luck
Lucylu
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 10:13

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

HI Clarissa
I believe you are supposed to lose 10% of the weight you have to lose on induction during the first two weeks. Since you have 36 lbs to lose from your beginning, losing about 5 is pretty exceptional for only being low-carbing for 2 weeks. I could be way off here, but this is what I have come to understand from the literature that I have read.
Just to relate, I also have experienced ketone strips that have shown that I was not in Ketosis, and I am sure that I definately was. I do know that your liquid consumption may have something to do with this. Sometimes I have shown a "dark" result on my ketone strip, and it has simply been an indicator that I need to drink more water! Ketones cannot be as proiminent in your urine if it is diluted with a lot of fluids(water, coffee, etc) Dont get too discouraged , I think you are doing great!

Last edited by jedigddss : Sat, Dec-28-02 at 10:22.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 05:36

Stats: 156,2/151,8/120
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks!

Hiya,
Thank you both for your advice and support.
I'm going to stay on induction (stricter limts on tea/coffee) and see what happens.

All the best,
Clarissa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 13:47

Stats: 200/169/160
BF:?/35%/25%
Progress: 78%
Default ketosis

I have never shown any color on my strip, which was discouraging for me then I went on an even more restrictive "woe". Still no results on the strip. I did read something today on this forum that addresses just this subject, can't remember what the particulars are. It's somewhere in the section that rates the "diets". sorry I couldn't be more specific about where the info is. I have been reading topics at this forum for hours. delph