Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 20:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/125
BF:
Progress: 25%
Unhappy Ketone Stix stay white, not even pink!

Does anyone know much about the Ketone Stix? I am in the Atkins induction phase and have been good (really!!), so I should be buring some fat. I have tested with the TestMedia Ketone stiz 2 times (both in the afternoon) and the stix stay white.
THe key on the container say that a "neutral" sign is pink. THere is no reference for just plain old white. What gives?
Is there anything that would cause the Ketostix not to register?
I look forward to your input, and will try not be be discouraged. I have been busy today--all I have eaten is eggs in the morning and a low-carb Ketoshake in the afternoon. There's no way I'm not burning more than I ate. . . .
Thanks for your knowledgeable comments.
Janet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 21:42

Plan: Body Rx
Stats: 380/225/200
BF:
Progress: 86%

Some people dont register any color with ketostix at all. Try eliminating the shake, which can stall people sometimes, then retest. It also takes 2 or 3 days of low carbing before the stix will change color. I dont change color at all no matter how low i go in carbs. Dont worry about the stix as long as you are losing pounds or inches.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 04:30

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down Ketosis and Ketone Stix

Hi Janet

Those oh so important ketostix. I remember getting mine and testing at the start. Yes they are a sign, but they are not the beall and end all of things. If you are drinking lots of water then you may not see the colour change at all, if it turns purple then you are probably not drinking enough water!

As already said, if you are loosing weight then that is proof that you are low carbing and it is working. You might like to read this article on the subject which I have copied from the GO Diet.

Continued success.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 12:21

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

Ditto what Little Ann said.
From what I have learned on this forum I believe if you are registering dark, it actually means you're just dehydrated. Wierd, huh? If you are losing weight, you're in ketosis, no matter what those stix say!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 13:26

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I guess you are right. It was kind of disapointing to go to the store and buy these little (expensive) buggers just to find out that I don't even register as neutral!!
I just talked to a girlfriend that said she registered purple and didn't lose and ounce, so . . . since my tummy looks a little flatter today. . . .I will just stay on track.
Maybe I'll try again in a few days-since I bought a package of 100 and all. . .
Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 15:47
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Janet,

First of all, let me say that on the whole I think the ketostix are a waste of time and money. As Anne and the Jedi Goddess indicated, losing weight is what's important.

I do just want to mention though, if you are testing, first thing in the morning is the best time to do it, when your wee is at its most concentrated.

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: 20-30 grams daily
Stats: 262/192/140
BF:
Progress: 57%

i have been barely and i do mean barely in the pink on the keto stix the last few times i have checked it but i have continued to lose so throw those things away and dont worry as long as u are looseing pounds or inches your doing it right.....keep up the good work
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 279/175.9/176 Male 180cm
BF:39.6%/22%/18%

Hi,
I have been using Atkin's LTS (Lipolysis Testing Strips) first thing every morning for 6 weeks. I know this is not necessary as I am still in Atkin's Induction phase and sticking to 20g of Carbs per day BUT for me it's psychologically supporting.
They have been changing to dark purple (after 30 - 40 seconds) since Day 3 of my LC lifestyle. My weight lose as been fairly constant since I started (except for the first week's water loss which was higher).
I read further back in this thread that if the strips turn purple then that is a sign of dehydration. I haven't heard that before and am now concerned. I drink between 64oz and 72oz of water everyday. Could I still be dehydrated?
Thank you.
Simon
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 23:46

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

simon
according to the info sheet that came in the ketostix box it says once the strip is wet immediately start timing, at EXACTLY 15 seconds match the test area to the ketone color chart. it says to IGNORE colour changes that occur after the 15 seconds. so only pay attention to the colour at 15 secs.

hth

Last edited by jesdorka : Sun, Dec-29-02 at 23:48.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 03:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 279/175.9/176 Male 180cm
BF:39.6%/22%/18%

Hi jesdorka,
Thanks for your reply.
I am using the Atkin's LTS and on the box it says to compare the color between 1 and 2 minutes. Even at 15 seconds I would register light purple.
Thanks
Simon.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/177.5/165
BF:
Progress: 75%

I usually dont get much more than a shade of pink when I use the strips but I've lost a decent amount of weight. I really dont have much more to add other than stick with it and you'll see and feel the results. Also, I'm a new member here and I'm really impressed with all the helpful people so keep coming back for the wonderful support you'll find here.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 12:49

BF:
Default Hanging in there!

Well, I've got to say, all these posts are interesting-and very supportive. I have not been weighing myself daily, as I've been trying to avoic the pitfalls with finding out that you've done everything right and have not lost any weight-something that has happened to me plenty of times.
What I do know is that I have stuck to the "less than 20 carbs". I have NOT given up my morning coffee, but have limited the intake--it's gonna be a gradual thing. I used to drink 2 nonfat lattes a day--so a cup or two of drip is a big change.
Anyway, all of the "low carb" type of food I got at the low carb market SUCKS. I had to try, but most of it is simply awful. I will stick to real food that is low carb.
I tried another keto stick today, and it at least registered pink-meaning neutral. WHile I am not placing huge importance on these silly sticks, I do feel better now that I at least "register" on the chart!! Ha!
Let's give it a few more days!
Happy New Year all!