Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/149/135
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default I really need some advice

Hi all, and Merry Christmas.

I have been following the Atkins way for a long time and a few stalls in between. What I usually find happening is that the breakfasts are so limited that I end up getting discouraged. I hate eggs, don't care for yogurt, and I can't fathom eating anything non-breakfast in the early hours!!!
So.. What I am thinking is that maybe I should be following the CAD diet. From what I have been reading, I would be allowed a reward meal every day, as long as that meal is consumed within 1 hour. It also says that I can have that one reward meal at what ever meal I want as long as its only once per day.
You see, I am okay with lc lunch and lc dinner but its the breakfasts that make me want to gag.

So I could be eating a breakfast that I love which would be oatmeal with fruit or a bagel with cheese and a fresh grapefruit( you get the idea)

I would really appreciate some replies, especially from some current CAD eaters.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 14:05
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm not saying not to CAD... this is your life and your choice. I personally have issues with CAD because i'm a nibbler and you can only have two meals and one snack besides the RM so I end up hungry often....

Have you tried flax o meal hot cereal? You can add cream, butter and splenda. I like the butter almond and a cup of coffee or tazo chai tea and breakfast is yummy again. Also, fantastic source of fiber.

Check it out.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 14:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Keto also makes a hot cereal that is very much like oatmeal. My oldest daughter will even eat it and likes it. It comes in Apple cinnamon, Strawberries and cream and regular flavor. It's a bit on the pricey side..about 7 dollars for 9 servings, but if you can't stand the thought of another egg and nothing else sounds workable for breakfast, it might be worth a try. It's also very high fiber and quite filling.
Whether you try CAD or not is up to you, but those reward meals have to be balanced...they can't be all carbs, so you would need to find some protein that is palatable for you to eat even at that meal. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 14:36

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

My wife had a similar problem except she just could not get up the few min early to make an egg breakfast. Her solution was a blended protein shake made with 2 scoops of EAS Simply Protein power. If she was using the vanilla flavored powder she would mix it with some ice and cold coffee or some frozen berries. If she had the chocolate flavored powder she would add a table spoon of peanut butter and ice and water. I tasted both and they were very good and quick. If you want you can add some heavy cream to make it smother.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 15:23

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

I eat bacon (3-4 thick slices) every morning. It works well for me.

Katie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 15:28
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Yes, as Lisa said, reward meals must be balanced by a high fiber portion (vegetables) and a high protein portion (meat) ...or rather that's the way it is in CALP, their most current plan. CAD doesn't address the 1/3 portions of each...they developed that later.

Would you enjoy full-fat cottage cheese, berries and splenda? If you haven't tried it, you should! You can also sub peaches or pears, and no sugar added canned varieties are okay on carbs, but not great. You can use frozen berries or fruits as well.

I often make a mock danish using cream cheese, egg, maple extract, splenda, butter and SF syrup....mix it all together, nuke it for a couple mins and You can find the recipe and many variations in our Lo-Carb Kitchen area.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 03:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the replies!

I live in Ontario, Canada.
Is anyone else aware of where I can buy the protien powderor the flax-o-meal cereal?
Its worth a try.

Are there any meal replacement bars available through ...Loblaws,or No Frills,or A&P. I have never seen anything Atkins here.
I don't think I could stomach cottage cheese. Are there any low carb cereals I could eat that are available in Ontario,Canada???

Thanks in advance
Smiley
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 07:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Smiley...

If you can't find Flax-O-Meal cereal in your neck of the woods, you can make your own version of it by mixing 1/4 cup of ground flax seed with 1/4 cup unprocessed wheat bran with 1/2 cup of hot water and whatever sweeteners or flavorings you like. Flax meal and wheat bran are usually available at health food stores, although some grocers may carry them also.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 08:23

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I agree with breakfast being the hardest meal.

I haven't tried CAD yet, but I am starting Sunday with breakfast being my CAD meal.

I have read so much about your metabolism slowing down as the day progresses and I think that eating the carbs at breakfast is the best answer. But, I (and possibly you) will have to get protein with the carbs otherwise I will go into a carb craving mode.

As for the keto products, I have a problem with soy and that is the basis for their protein, so it is out for me. I have a friend that uses it and loves it, but she does miss her oatmeal too. I believe that I have a true allergy to it so I am not willing to compromise on that.

I intend to eat oatmeal, boiled eggs and fruit for breakfast.

Good luck on your venture.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 10:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

What about flax muffins, almond pancakes frittatas or quiche? Low carb bread toasted? Your own home made protein bars? All of these recipes are here on this site.

Most natural foods and performance nutrition stores sell protein powder and all the ingredients you need to make the above.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 15:33

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Smile

There is nothing that says you have to have eggs for breakfast. Try a pan fried steak or ham!!

Happy Holidays!!

#12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 21:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 238/210/150
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Smiley -

I know where your coming from on the breakfast scene - I also get very bored with the selection. From what I understand though is that when eating carbs earlier in the day the body tends to crave them for the rest of the day.

Good Luck! And Merry Christmas!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 04:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks

Thankyou everyone for the replies,

Have a wonderful holiday with your families!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 15:39
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Pancakes/French Toast

Ok, I have to say that this morning I tried a recipe I've been resisting for months....but finally broke down and made the "pork rind pancakes"!! I was JUMPING for JOY They are delicious!!! I promise!!! I think if I fed them to my kids they wouldn't know the difference.

1/2 of a 3 oz bag pork rinds, crushed
2 eggs
1/4 c heavy cream
2 packets Splenda
cinnamon to taste
a bit of vanilla extract

mix it all together and let the crushed rinds get soaked. Then heat butter on a griddle or pan and cook just like regular pancakes! Serve with sugar free maple syrup!

Here's the link for the recipe.

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Sat, Dec-21-02 at 15:42.